1:72 CMR Blackburn Firebrand TF Mk.V

Here's my colour Firebrand photo:

blackburn-firebrand

And my scan of the decal sheet roundels:

Strange Colours

I can't make myself put those on my model! Don't you think? In real life, the blue in the decals has a bit of a purple cast, too. Arghh.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

HI Bill - I think the C1 & C roundels look very smart on the scheme in the photo you posted - I had a look at a couple of old Modeldecal sheets No41 (C&C1) and No 47 type D and the red & blue are nothing like the kit sheet colour - the kit sheet is way too bright  to me

CJP

• Like 2

Hard to say, there were some pretty bright blue roundels after the war especially those next to the white rather than red, compared to this yours could be a bit dark even, its mostly down to light .

49958820723_cfe53d27e6_b.jpg

Edited by Spec7
  • Like 1

Thanks mates. I'm aware that the roundels changed from dull to bright ID colours after the war (in 1947 if the sources I read are correct). They also changed from type C/C1 to Type D, which is what is shown in the photo @Spec7 posted. So those should be nice and bright. However, the roundels shown in my Firebrand photo do not look like the bright ID colours to me, so I will use the dull C/C1 roundels from the Xtradecal Sea Fury kit (which are the correct size). Interestingly, the aircraft those decals are intended for is from 1949, so it seems there is some precedent for the dull ID colours still in use after June of 1947.

The Xtradecal sheet also has bright Type D roundels for a Sea Fury in 1953 - the difference between dull and bright is significant. Even so, the CMR kit decals are brighter still, and have that purplish tinge that my photo didn't capture well.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

Time for stickering...

First concern is the lower port roundel has the amber light inside the blue ring. Not sure if that is the way it's supposed to be, but that is the way everything lays out, according to the instruction sheet. I've tried in the past to use gallons of decal solvent to make a decal conform to such a bump, but never with a lot of success. This time I figured I would just cut a hole in the decal. Scissors didn't seem like a good idea, so I just punched a hole in it with my punch and die set.

IMG_5366

I think it will work...

Meanwhile, the rest of the stickerage were no problem.

IMG_5364

IMG_5365

Looks more like a proper aeroplane now methinks. I've a couple more gear doors to add, mount the sliding canopy, put the photoetch back on that I knocked off, add the prop (Hmm...got to paint the blades first!) and do the final matte varnish and a bunch of fiddly bits (like the antennae), and she might actually be done.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Oops, forgot to take a photo of the underside. Next time.   :)

• Like 33

Love the neatness of your builds Bill, in particular the paint finish you're able to achieve. Definitely something I can only aspire to emulate!

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Keep safe

Edge

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Beard said:

That's looking very smart.

Unlike the modeller! (According to wifey...)     :)

15 hours ago, Edge said:

Love the neatness of your builds Bill, in particular the paint finish you're able to achieve.

Thinner is your friend!  Thanks!

14 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm impressed to pieces at this. :)

Pull yourself together, mate!    :)

Boss-man wants more changes in the special project I'm doing, so it may be a few days before we make more progress. Stay tuned.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Spinning thingy assembled using Prop-a-gator widgetry.

IMG_5368

I almost forgot this baby had a backward prop. I was in the process of putting it together as a "normal" prop, when something went "boing" in my brain. Normally, I don't pay any attention to brain boings, but I'm glad I caught this one.

The special project for big boss man is in the final stages of review, so hopefully that is finished! Now I'm off to the beach for a week, and my intention is to drink heavily and forget to put more money into the pay parking app.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...

Hi mates,

Just a note that I'm still alive, but having some difficulties at the moment. I have a PET scan Monday next, as my oncologist thinks my cancer may be recurring (again). My blood counts look OK, but I've been having night sweats and that's only happened to me before the two prior occurrences of the lymphoma. Geez. Of course, it could be something else that's triggering the sweats, but we've checked most of those (thyroid issues, etc.) I'm wondering whether the sweats are due to some modelling withdrawal effect? Maybe I should just get my bum back to the workbench and finish the Firebrand!    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Sad 17

Modelling is important, of course, but there are times when it’s just as important to look after Number One. Best Beloved and I shall be sending "get well" vibes across the pond.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear of these latest challenges Bill. Maybe some bench time will help, but above all take it easy and stay safe.

Very strongest get well vibes coming from deepest Dorset. They have an excellent chance of reaching you fast Bill as they hit the sea just south of my home, and then its 3000 plus miles in your direction, fast and low!

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1