1:72 CMR Blackburn Firebrand TF Mk.V

Hi mates,

Taking a breather from my Javelin mania, and what better way to recover than a resin kit from CMR? This will be my fifth CMR kit after two Buccaneers, a Scimitar, and a Sea Venom. Hmm...all FAA subjects, including this new one. What does this mean?

The CMR kit comes in its typical heavy duty cardboard box which, even when empty, could crush any of those flimsy end-opening, gotta save money, boxes. However, even though the box is in great shape, some of the more delicate resin pieces suffered some damage (more on that in a moment).

IMG_5288

This is the "early" scheme boxing, and as such has some late-40s Temperate Sea Scheme markings. Interesting indeed. The wing is cast in one piece, and the undercart and flap bays are very cleverly engineered. Plus, there is some nice detail on the cockpit sidewalls.

IMG_5290

The cockpit and engine details are also very nice. The vanes on the engine fan are incredibly thin and realistic - something that is difficult to accomplish with injection moulding. Accordingly, they are also extremely delicate (and most likely a bit of fun to remove from the casting block) and I have some damage on my sample. This is, no doubt, due to CMR packing all of the remaining parts into two plastic bags, allowing the parts to bounce into one other on their way from the Czech Republic to my workbench. I wish they would change this style of packaging - but I have to admit that most resin kits I've built, regardless of manufacturer, use this same method. There has got to be a better way.

IMG_5291

The remaining parts include some ridiculously tiny greeblies - I had to put on my magnifiers to see some of them.

IMG_5292

The black parts are the landing gear, and are cast in a much stronger resin to resist sagging over time. I guess - I've never had any of my resin landing gear sag or splay in spite of what type of resin was used. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I work in 1:72 scale and the models aren't very heavy. The bodies for the rockets were almost entirely detached from their casting blocks, and some were broken as well. Nothing that can't be fixed, but it shouldn't be this way. The fins for the rockets are supplied in photoetch.

The instruction sheets, as usual for CMR, are photocopied A4 sheets - and there are 22 pages. No worries though, the build itself is only 6 pages, the rest including a parts map, ordinance loading instructions, decal placement for stencils, and markings for 10(!) different schemes.

IMG_5289

CMR provide two PE sheets, the one that's not in the photo includes pre-painted instruments. To assist in positioning the fins on the rocket bodies, the PE sheet shown includes an alignment jig. I have to say that I'm not yet demented enough to want to try that. The windscreen and canopy are vacuform, and as is typical of CMR, two copies are provided. If my past history holds true, I will need them both. Oddly, though, there are no canopy masks with this kit. All of my other CMR kits have included them.

So that's what we're starting with. As you can see from the above photo, a couple of fellow Britmodellers contributed research for this kit. Mr. White graciously provided me with some help already, and I'm hoping that  @tonyot will be along to keep me on the straight and narrow as the build progresses. I will need the help, I assure you!    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 30

I`ll certainly be watching you turn this wonderful kit into an equally wonderful model,....... if I can help along the way I`ll be glad to, but I mainly contributed photos for reference purposes,....... cannot wait to see which scheme you`ve gone for mate,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Hot doggies- made the first page and beat @Corsairfoxfouruncle to the bar; looking forward to this build, as I have the later boxing with color photoetch. From  what I have seen, they can be made into outstanding models! Damn the cyanoacrylate- full speed ahead!

This box has the colour photoetch too, it's just not shown in the photo. It's on the other side of the PE envelope that's in the photo.

7 hours ago, tonyot said:

I`ll certainly be watching you turn this wonderful kit into an equally wonderful model,....... if I can help along the way I`ll be glad to, but I mainly contributed photos for reference purposes,....... cannot wait to see which scheme you`ve gone for mate,

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony. Right now, I'm leaning towards one of the Temperate Sea Scheme markings. I think these that are included with the kit are for various carrier trials aircraft.

6 hours ago, giemme said:

I didn't even know such aircraft existed... :shrug: I'll watch and learn :)

Young man, you do need to pay attention in class. How long have you been on Britmodeller? I suppose you haven't heard of its offspring the Firecrest either?    Tsk, tsk.     :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I always liked the look of the Firebrand and the temperate scheme and C1 roundels is going to look very nice - looking forward to your WIP

CJP

Edited by CJP
  • Thanks 1

It seems I am not alone in having a large soft spot for the Firebrand.  I have never really understood why, since it was (to be kind) an idea whose time had long gone / (to be unkind) pretty useless - but there is something about its muscular huge-itude that appeals (plus almost anything looked good in those 50s FAA schemes).  

I am, however, exceedingly glad that I never had to deck land one.  The view over that l-o-o-o-o-n-g nose must have been minimal (indeed, I think that was one of the issues that the Firecrest - never officially named - was supposed to address).

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

It seems I am not alone in having a large soft spot for the Firebrand.

As large as the Firebrand’s tail?

AW

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I suppose you haven't heard of its offspring the Firecrest either?    Tsk, tsk.     :)

Errr... no. Should I be worried? 

:D  :D  

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Hot doggies- made the first page and beat @Corsairfoxfouruncle to the bar; looking forward to this build, as I have the later boxing with color photoetch. From  what I have seen, they can be made into outstanding models! Damn the cyanoacrylate- full speed ahead!

Hey Mike... Good catch on this yes. Now i’ll go and sit quietly in the back of the room. My only excuse is that I had unexpected company arrive yesterday or I might have found it first. 

Dennis

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, Edge said:

Great choice Bill. Hoping for a desk close to the front of class so that I can learn from the master.

Find a desk for me as well - I could stand to learn a few things too.    :)

11 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I have never really understood why...

Because we can!    :)

10 hours ago, Daedalus72 said:

Can't wait for the 1/48 version

Do you like vacuforms?    :)

9 hours ago, giemme said:

Errr... no. Should I be worried?

Hmm...psychoanalysis is not my thing.    :drunk:

11 hours ago, Fritag said:

Feels like we’re putting the band back together.

Well my band from the late 70s was called "The Dithering Servos" and our big (?) song was "Subscript Out Of Range." Not sure how that pertains to the current topic, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 5

Aha, found you, late but page 1 I hope! I'm in Bill (of course) :popcorn:

On 06/01/2020 at 21:25, Navy Bird said:

Oddly, though, there are no canopy masks with this kit. All of my other CMR kits have included them.

Just a thought - is that grey stuff under the canopy in the bag some Oramask? Or is it just cardboard?

• Like 1

Going to watch this one with interest as I have same kit with the later schemes. The one piece wing with undercuts for the detailed undercarriage bay is a pretty neat bit of casting. I built the Rareplanes vacform in about 1984 and it is big for a Single seater. The model has long since gone in various house moves after suffering terminal damage. 

• Like 1