A sneaky little P 51-B

stevej60

Hi folk's,as some may have noted my Hobbyboss offering went down in flames so while I was buying a replacement I noticed this kit on the shelf for a

reasonable £4:99 so I took a punt if worse came to worse she'd do for the grandson to play with.Anyway a nice surprise was waiting in the box,what you get

is a finely molded slightly grainy surfaced kit of the short run variety a decent set of decals with four options,a beautifully clear canopy and a set of instructions

and colour guide that put some of our major model companies to shame.I have no idea of the kit's origin other than it's Polish and a dry run of the major

parts show no issues so  later in the GB we'll have a crack at it.

20200106_132813

• Like 10

Hi Steve,

I have that kit, bought it just for the decal sheet (Beesons 'Bee' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duane_Beeson ) but as you say it seems like quite a nice model, too. Don't know much about it myself, and not seen one built or the accuracy or otherwise of it discussed anywhere.

Be interested to see how it comes together.

• Like 1

I've a Smer boxing of this kit Steve, bought for the Kidd Hofer decals, & have been musing doing it in the other marking option, Little Anne from the 352 FG, one of those blue nosed fatherless children from Bodney. ;) It looks like an Intech? molding originally, the worst bits I can see are the too shallow wheel wells, the lack of any radiator / oilcooler outlet detail & the lousey fit of the undercarriage doors if you want to fit them closed as they really should be even with the undercarriage down. Looks like I might have committed myself to a build here now. :( :D 

Steve. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Smudge said:

Hi Steve,

I have that kit, bought it just for the decal sheet (Beesons 'Bee' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duane_Beeson ) but as you say it seems like quite a nice model, too. Don't know much about it myself, and not seen one built or the accuracy or otherwise of it discussed anywhere.

Be interested to see how it comes together.

Hi Smudge,the kit's about  the price of an AM decal sheet a good idea,their Hurricane boxing contains Heller's still nice kit and one of the poorest decal sheets I've seen!

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

It looks like an Intech?

Makes sense Steve,I tinkered with it yesterday while waiting for paint to dry on the Airfix build,wing halves fitted nicely but the easiest way to tackle the

tailplanes was to cut off the lugs and butt joint them(this may have just been my boxing),I'm going to scratch build the air scoop as it just doesn't look

right as is and wheels down so avoiding hassle with the u/c doors.

• Like 3

Hi Steve,

Not seen that kit before and judging by the thread it has a complicated history.

Did the shop you found it in have any more for sale? I'll need another P-51B and the decals look useful as I'm building (slowly!) an Academy P-51B 'Rebel Queen', and I see the Mister Craft kit has them. The decals in the Academy kit aren't the best.

Cheers,

Edited by Johnson
SNAFU
  • Like 1

Hi Charlie he stock's the whole range there are a half dozen variations of the kit on release and they can be picked up at most model retailers and

online,oh Academy decals:wall: My Down for Double build is stalled as their decal's self distructed this GB seems to be cursed for me!

• Thanks 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that.

I found the kit in a shop in Wales, but when I checked with them the decals for 'Rebel Queen' VF-C weren't included. Did Rebel Queen come with your kit? I see that the markings are on the painting guide.

Cheers,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnson said:

Did Rebel Queen come with your kit?

Hi Charlie,just checked the decal sheets,the smaller sheet has the codes only including VF-C but there is no nose art or serial for this aircraft.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Thanks for looking Steve. Odd that it's shown and they include VF-C. I'll have to hope that the Academy decals are OK!

No problem Charlie,I only hope these decals behave too.

• Like 1