A02341 Sherman Firefly

spacer.png

A55003 Small Beginners Set Sherman Firefly

spacer.png

+ additionally

A50186 Classic Conflict Tiger 1 vs Sherman Firefly

(which contain beginners firefly)

spacer.png

It is worth to notice that these are not the same!

For sure beginners kit is represented with no stowage and rubber bloke T41/T51 tracks, while "full kit" has stowage and T62 steel chevron tracks.

But if we look closely to details, it appears to me that beginners set have one piece tracks with wheels,
bogeys moulded in and with inner track teeths on whole track width (just as in Italeri "wargames approved" 2 kit pack Shermans).

But in A02341 we can see correctly represented 2 rows of inner track tenths and bogey as separate part.

For me, excluding Vulcan, this is the biggest news, as Sherman V (M4A4) was always a problem in 1:72 scale. Matchbox was too small to put next to 1:72 Shermans,
Armourfast too poor in details, Dragon too scare to get in larger quantities (or at all sometimes), UM too laborious. Right there Airfix is highly welcomed.

I just worry that Airfix is going with rubber track shoes and hard plastic connectors (well it is like this coloured on renders) andf it bothers me as I never saw it in plastic model

and I expect "issues" here. Time will tell.

Edited by Fictorque
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Fictorque said:

In 2020 Airfix is to release two new tool 1/72nd Sherman Vc Fireflies:

A02341 Sherman Firefly

A55003 Small Beginners Set Sherman Firefly

A50186 Classic Conflict Tiger 1 vs Sherman Firefly

(which contain beginners firefly)

It is worth to notice that these are not the same!

For sure beginners kit is represented with no stowage and rubber bloke T41/T51 tracks, while "full kit" has stowage and T62 steel chevron tracks.

But if we look closely to details, it appears to me that beginners set have one piece tracks with wheels,
bogeys moulded in and with inner track teeths on whole track width (just as in Italeri "wargames approved" 2 kit pack Shermans).

But in A02341 we can see correctly represented 2 rows of inner track tenths and bogey as separate part.

For me, excluding Vulcan, this is the biggest news, as Sherman V (M4A4) was always a problem in 1:72 scale. Matchbox was too small to put next to 1:72 Shermans,
Armourfast too poor in details, Dragon too scare to get in larger quantities (or at all sometimes), UM too laborious. Right there Airfix is highly welcomed.

I just worry that Airfix is going with rubber track shoes and hard plastic connectors (well it is like this coloured on renders) andf it bothers me as I never saw it in plastic model

and I expect "issues" here. Time will tell.

This is big news for me as well: As well as all the other Firefly kits you mentioned, there is also the Plastic Soldier Company kit: A long-hull Mk. Vc, (based on the M4A4) like the Airfix kit. This is not bad for a "quick build" kit, bit it still has problems. I will be getting several of the A02341 kit. The track design is very interesting, as you have pointed out. I have never seen it before either.

I will have to wait and see how good the Tiger I is, as I already have Tiger I kits from Revell, Trumpeter, Zvevda and Forces of Valor ... as well as Italeri and Plastic Soldier Company "quick builds". Do I really need another Tiger? Well, maybe one more ...

Edited by klr
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...

Today's Airfix Workbench has an update on this including sprue shots.

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/smiley-spitfire-on-parade-and-a-clash-of-armour

Finally solves the issue of why the parts count shown is only 31 this must be the sprues included in the basic release not those containing the alternative tracks etc..

May hold back a few weeks on my flying hours to get this.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Paul821 said:

Today's Airfix Workbench has an update on this including sprue shots.

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/smiley-spitfire-on-parade-and-a-clash-of-armour

Finally solves the issue of why the parts count shown is only 31 this must be the sprues included in the basic release not those containing the alternative tracks etc..

May hold back a few weeks on my flying hours to get this.

Yes, that makes perfect sense now. There are indeed just 31 parts for the simplified version, with 86 overall, which is a reasonable parts count for a "proper" kit in this scale. The layout of the sprues suggest that a standard M4A4/Mk. V (with "normal" M4 turret + 75 mm gun) could be done in the future. That would certainly be nice to have, as almost all the M4A4 production run was exported, and most of that to the UK.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...