1/48 - North American/Canadair F-86F-40 Sabre F.4 - released - new CMK sets

Homebee

19 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

I'd say little to no chance of seeing a full CAC Sabre kit in 1/48. Best bet would likely be a resin fuselage conversion to go with any of the suitable kits.

Has nobody ever kitted the CAC Sabre in any scale ? I mean a full kit not a conversion set. I have to think they’d sell quite a bit in Australia and a few other places. Im American And I want at least two. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Has nobody ever kitted the CAC Sabre in any scale ?

I don't think so. I modified an ESCI 1:48 kit to build mine, only to have Red Roo put out a conversion kit a couple of years later! I still have one to use but the Airfix kit may be a better base than the Academy or Hasegawa kits it was designed for. I've seen quite few models come out of Malaysia and Indonesia, too so they would likely be interested in a CAC version.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bell209 said:

I don't think so. I modified an ESCI 1:48 kit to build mine, only to have Red Roo put out a conversion kit a couple of years later! I still have one to use but the Airfix kit may be a better base than the Academy or Hasegawa kits it was designed for. I've seen quite few models come out of Malaysia and Indonesia, too so they would likely be interested in a CAC version.

Yeah I thought I remembered that's where the CAC Sabres also were used. 

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Has nobody ever kitted the CAC Sabre in any scale ? I mean a full kit not a conversion set. I have to think they’d sell quite a bit in Australia and a few other places. Im American And I want at least two. 

Sadly no and as mentioned by Sabrejet, probably never to be. I’m sure they would sell well down here, however Australia is not a huge scale modelling market and I’m not sure if Malaysia or Indonesia are either?

There are many kits in this category and let’s not forget, besides the Matchbox F-86A, how many other ‘A’ model Sabres have ever hit the LHS shelves? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Some future CMK dedicated upgrade sets

Source: https://www.specialhobby.net/2022/02/norimberk-online-den-4.html

- ref. 4445 - Cockpit set - release March 2022

- ref. 4446 - Wheel bays - release April 2022

- ref. 4447 - Gun boxes - release April 2022

- ref. 4448 - Air brakes - release March 2022

IMG-8262.jpg

IMG-8268.jpg

IMG-8274.jpg

V.P.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

On 18/01/2022 at 01:40, Bell209 said:

Be nice to see a CAC Sabre version released at some point, too. There are no more Red Roo Models conversions to come- the mould has reached the end of its life, apparently.

There is the High Planes set, they released it as a set and with a kit 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 1/18/2022 at 10:17 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Sadly no and as mentioned by Sabrejet, probably never to be. I’m sure they would sell well down here, however Australia is not a huge scale modelling market and I’m not sure if Malaysia or Indonesia are either?

There are many kits in this category and let’s not forget, besides the Matchbox F-86A, how many other ‘A’ model Sabres have ever hit the LHS shelves? 

Cheers.. Dave 

the Lindberg 1/48 kit was an attempt at a 'A' and in 1/72 the PM kit ( but the less said, the better)

Tony

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2020 at 2:10 PM, Julien said:

Airfix have no plans for a slatted Sabre, told by no less than the person who helped them develop this. Its sad and not a great marketing decision in my book, and other peoples but there you go.

Maybe if Aiifix read these things they might realise there is a market out there for it. 

Until then one of the atermarket guys will have to step in.

Hmmm…. that didn’t age well!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, dambuster said:

Hmmm…. that didn’t age well!

No but good news for those of us who wanted a slatted sabre, just now need to do a F-30, a slatted wing F-30 was what we were talking about back then, so in effect they still have no plans for a slatted wing F-30

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmm - I am not so sure about not being able to do a slatted wing Sabre. I have just had a look at my  Airfix Canadair Sabre, and see that there is a separate bit for the 6-3 wing. From the sprue shot it looks as though the slatted section would fit on to the Sabre F4 wing and hence a slatted Sabre. All will be revealed though when we can see the actual sprue in the F40 variant. Or have I got it all pear shaped?

John

55 minutes ago, jaw said:

Hmm - I am not so sure about not being able to do a slatted wing Sabre. I have just had a look at my  Airfix Canadair Sabre, and see that there is a separate bit for the 6-3 wing. From the sprue shot it looks as though the slatted section would fit on to the Sabre F4 wing and hence a slatted Sabre. All will be revealed though when we can see the actual sprue in the F40 variant. Or have I got it all pear shaped?

John

I'd say I need to get the kit in my mitts first

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wez said:

I'd say I need to get the kit in my mitts first

Yes I would agree with that - perhaps the slatted section in the new kit will have the 6-3 extension moulded into it?

John

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

Nice to see the slats extended. Will the kit come with the option for flaps down too?

I built a Mk4 boxing recently and there isn’t the option for lowered flaps in that kit so I doubt you can in this one without some minor surgery. Shame…..

On 5/7/2022 at 3:23 AM, franky boy said:

I built a Mk4 boxing recently and there isn’t the option for lowered flaps in that kit so I doubt you can in this one without some minor surgery. Shame…..

true..... but you rarely see a parked Sabre with the flaps down

Tony

• Like 2

On 4/8/2022 at 1:39 PM, jaw said:

Yes I would agree with that - perhaps the slatted section in the new kit will have the 6-3 extension moulded into it?

John

both the Mk4 version and  the F-40 version feature the 6-3 wing 'moulded' into it

On 5/7/2022 at 2:56 AM, PhantomBigStu said:

PM kit isn't an A but a bad attempt at a E(M)/F

it has the tail of an 'A'.........agreed, it is a bad attempt of anything

Tony

2 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Interesting about the tail @Tony Edmundson, maybe I will get one to try and convert to an A....

It's hard to explain how bad the PM 'Sabre' is. When Tony says it has an F-86A tail, it's because it's closer to that than any other mark of Sabre. You'd still need an F-86A canopy (PM's is awful - thick and the wrong shape) and the rest of the kit lacks detail or definition. 

In other words, to convert PM's 'F-86' into an F-86A, you'd begin by throwing it all in the bin.

We still desperately need an F-86A in any scale! (and preferably all the scales from 1/144 to 1/24!)

• Like 2

Despite the original kit having the 6-3 extension as a separate piece, this incorporates the extension with the slats so the new upper wing part is 6-3. For a narrow chord, you would need to cut out a 6-3 sliver from that and also the lower part of the leading edge. Why didn't they just design it the way the real aircraft was and bolt it forward of the spar?

On 08/05/2022 at 15:11, Tony Edmundson said:

true..... but you rarely see a parked Sabre with the flaps down

Tony

I thought the same so had a trawl through all my saved pics and I actually found quite a few.  Interestingly no USAF or RCAF ones, but quite a few others, and quite a lot of CAC Sabres.

• Like 1