1/48 - North American/Canadair F-86F-40 Sabre F.4 - released - new CMK sets

Homebee

Not held on with a chain even: just detached (via a fastener hole in its leading edge) and usually placed on to of the wing (sometimes inside the ammo door/step):

x

On aircraft in later Canadian service, the fillet was attached to the door, so that it wasn't forgotten. The wing was slightly modified for this configuration, to ensure a snug fit. This is not applicable to RAF Sabres however:

x1

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Unfortunately, though I can't criticise the effort that's obviously gone into that website, it has some incorrect colour information even at first glance: 116th FIS F-86A (tail colours incorrect), 197th FIS F-86A (snake incorrect colour), 406th FIW F-86F (I think this one is just a wrong label), ATC F-86F (incorrect fuselage band colours) etc. I didn't go any further but I'd suggest it would be a reference for further research rather than a one-stop-shop.

I noted a couple of errors regarding the type of gun mounted as compared to the tail number and unit identified in the F-86H section but overall it looked good to me. I discovered the section of the site that covers the FJ Fury this morning. It looks quite nice as well. 

On 4/23/2021 at 6:04 PM, Sabrejet said:

Not held on with a chain even: just detached (via a fastener hole in its leading edge) and usually placed on to of the wing (sometimes inside the ammo door/step):

x

On aircraft in later Canadian service, the fillet was attached to the door, so that it wasn't forgotten. The wing was slightly modified for this configuration, to ensure a snug fit. This is not applicable to RAF Sabres however:

x1

So that's where Kitty Hawk got their idea from!

J

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Canadair Sabre Mk.4 by Airfix - released - F-86F-40 in Spring 2022
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Canadair Sabre Mk.4 by Airfix - released - North American F-86F-40 Sabre in Spring 2022

I see a slatted wing, I wonder if I can get a slat wing Sabre F.4 out of it (especially if the original kit parts are retained.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Isn't this what we've been crying out for, a slatted F-86, can an RAF one be built from this now?

It would depend upon the wing chord and whether the original vents and area forward of the fin are included.  Not beyond the whit of man to reduce the span for an F.4

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Isn't this what we've been crying out for, a slatted F-86, can an RAF one be built from this now?

My understand is 'not really' as the -40 wing is the thicker cord with slats,  where as the Mk4 with slats is the narrow cord - the non-slatted Mk-4 is has the thicker cord - the Airfix kits share the thicker cord. More knowledgeable folk can jump in and correct me. But I am still thinking the same - somehow, it might be do-able.

Edited by CplPunishment
  • Like 1

Sabre 6 wing would be easy: early narrow-chord wing would need the 6-3 insert removing but not impossible. You'd then have to use the parts included on the sprues to make your Sabre 4 (early) except that the wingtips/ailerons won't be included in this version of the kit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

To clarify wings: This version = F-86F-40; this version Airfix wing + Airfix Sabre 4 wingtips = Sabre 6; this version Airfix wing + Airfix Sabre 4 wingtips, minus 6-3 insert = Sabre 4 (early) etc. You'll need to do some minor fettling to the wingtip but it isn't difficult.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

Can one hope that this release might stimulate some JASDF decal sets to appear? Because there is a dearth of options out there right now. 

JASDF F-86F-40 pictures:

http://nabe3saviation.web.fc2.com/aF861j.html

http://nabe3saviation.web.fc2.com/aF862j.html

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

I'm really hoping that the new kits sprues retain the parts relevant to the F.4, if not, I might have to buy an F.4 and this kit and cross kit them, that way I could get a slatted wing to cut up and use on an early F.4 and use the F.4's wing on the F-40 fuselage to make a short span.hard winged F model.

1 hour ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

Can one hope that this release might stimulate some JASDF decal sets to appear? Because there is a dearth of options out there right now. 

Amen to that!

All very nice but the F40 6-3 wing with slats and extended tips has been available for years and the market cries out for the narrow slatted wing in a mainstream kit. A missed opportunity here and given the existing kit’s small shortcomings, I can’t see massive sales for this reissue. 
I expect that the project was more appealing though since the fuselage is already 6-3 engineered.

Probably our last chance of a narrow slat wing regrettably. 

Still grateful for the ongoing efforts at Hornby, great team down there.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Wez said:

I'm really hoping that the new kits sprues retain the parts relevant to the F.4, if not, I might have to buy an F.4 and this kit and cross kit them, that way I could get a slatted wing to cut up and use on an early F.4 and use the F.4's wing on the F-40 fuselage to make a short span.hard winged F model.

You'll get a new 'wing' sprue, with slatted upper surface; slats, straight pitot probe; F-86F instrument panel; extended wingtip/aileron parts and flush fuselage panel inserts. The 'Norway' ejection seat, revised canopy rail etc are already on the Sabre 4 sprues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

You'll get a new 'wing' sprue, with slatted upper surface; slats, straight pitot probe; F-86F instrument panel; extended wingtip/aileron parts and flush fuselage panel inserts. The 'Norway' ejection seat, revised canopy rail etc are already on the Sabre 4 sprues.

So a slat wig F. 4 is doable, with some adjustments, from this kit?  I'm happy with that!

• Like 2