1/48 - North American/Canadair F-86F-40 Sabre F.4 - released - new CMK sets

Homebee

10 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

Is there a good reference for the F-86 to show differences across all variants, and serial number link to variants?

Take a look here Peter, it is quite detailed.

SharkOwl

Complete F-86 Sabre reference :

https://finescale.com/~/media/files/pdf/online-extras/sabre/sabretable.pdf

Edited by SharkOwl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SharkOwl said:

SharkOwl

Under the  row concerning the Sabre Mk5, it says that slatted 6-3 wings were retrofitted later.   this was not true for the most part.   Mk5s retained their hard wings (there may be one or two  exceptions, like the Mk5 chase aircraft for Boeing).

Tony

22 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Hello Sabrejet

I am interested in seeing this but I just seem to get a page asking for me to donate, or a 503 error probably doing something wrong but any advice please?

MTIA

Chris

44 minutes ago, chrisov said:

Hello Sabrejet

I am interested in seeing this but I just seem to get a page asking for me to donate, or a 503 error probably doing something wrong but any advice please?

MTIA

Chris

Strange: try another browser?

13 hours ago, SharkOwl said:

SharkOwl

Nice find, thank you! Dove tails well with the other info. Much appreciated guys.

2 hours ago, chrisov said:

but I just seem to get a page asking for me to donate, or a 503 error probably doing something wrong but any advice please?

Just wait for a bit (10 seconds or so). 
It'll show the original, archived website after that - whether you want to do a donation to keep archive.org running (and being able to show long-gone sites) is up to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello chaps

I've noticed a few online shops now have the new Sabre for pre order. Does anyone know of a rough release date yet past winter 2021?

Thanks

James

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Gene K said:

Are you allowed to share which thread "got pulled" and why?

Thanks,

Gene K

Mmm. Not sure: maybe @Troy Smith can remember? Off-topic possibly? Still looking forward to this one and hoping that some of my inputs were taken on board. However I don't have a clue when it's due out.

17 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

...  hoping that some of my inputs were taken on board. 

Yes, hopefully they are paying attention to the best Sabre reference available -    Y-O-U.👍

I am hoping for "decently fine" panel lines.

Gene K

• Like 1

Release must be very soon as latest issue of Airfix Model World Magazine (April 2021) out today has an eight page 'Exclusive Build" article and a five page aircraft 'In Focus' article.  Some interesting comments by the test shot builder about parts breakdown, optional parts included on the sprues for variants other than the F.4 and operators other than the RAF for future releases.  Wing breakdown in particular and how variant specific wing components are all on same sprue strongly hints at other wing variants. 

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Canadair Sabre Mk.4 by Airfix - 3D renders+schemes+sprues+box art - release Spring 2021
4 hours ago, ColFord said:

Release must be very soon as latest issue of Airfix Model World Magazine (April 2021) out today has an eight page 'Exclusive Build" article and a five page aircraft 'In Focus' article.  Some interesting comments by the test shot builder about parts breakdown, optional parts included on the sprues for variants other than the F.4 and operators other than the RAF for future releases.  Wing breakdown in particular and how variant specific wing components are all on same sprue strongly hints at other wing variants. 

Yes,

I saw that which gives a glimmer of hope.

I did notice in his build he'd painted the cockpit grey, in the text he states that the cockpits started as grey but the RAF later decided to paint them black.
This is plain wrong, the cockpit was always black from build, the grey cockpits being introduced during the F86F/Sabre 5 production IIRC. Other than that I enjoyed the article and it won't put me off getting one of these even though I have an Academy and Hasegawa kit in the stash.

• Thanks 1

I'll be very interested in anyone who posts a compare and contrast between the three kits. I have Italeri and Hasegawa in the stash with the hope of finding sets of slats for at least one of them. Even wanting to support Airfix, as the 'home team', I can't see buying one until there's a slatted version - but next time I'm allowed out I'll pick up a copy of the mag.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wez said:

I did notice in his build he'd painted the cockpit grey, in the text he states that the cockpits started as grey but the RAF later decided to paint them black.

This doesn't bode well and does make me wonder where folks get this info from. I can't recall seeing it stated anywhere, and in any case, as you say it's incorrect!

On 03/03/2021 at 11:06, Sabrejet said:

This doesn't bode well and does make me wonder where folks get this info from. I can't recall seeing it stated anywhere, and in any case, as you say it's incorrect!

The trouble is, they make such broad sweeping statements as this and people take it as gospel, I also noticed some utter tosh about changing the wings rather than the wing leading edge to get the 6-3 wing, there also seems to be a misconception that just because the aircraft is an XB serialled machine it's an early machine, whilst that might be the case it's not necessarily so (certainly not with an XB9xx serialled machine)!

I find this sort of thing very irksome!

• Like 2

Call me underwhelmed, even disappointed;  from what I can see from the build photos, this is NOT better than the HasAcademy Sabres.   Yes, the nose landing gear has a proper curved shape instead of the angled mess of the Hasegawa or Academy versions, but, there are several disappointing features glaringly obvious.   The wing pylons are too far outboard for this version of Sabre, the speedbrake arms looking thin just as the 1/72 versions are, the wing fences appear to be massive 2x12 pieces of lumber, the visible seat/cockpit/under canopy  details seem chunky and Lego-like with the seat headrest being pure fiction;  and to top it off, Airfix has added the raised vent panel on the fuselage top that only was present on the F-86F.    That panel was absent from the earlier 3D renderings, I wonder why it was added when not needed.  I figure that it is another indication that a Norwegian F-86F is the next issue.   I may re-consider and cancel my pre-order, as  can find HaseAcademy Sabres on the market for cheaper than this release.

Cheers, Tony

PS; Duncan, it looks like your advice/guidance was ignored

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

As with most recent kit- its budget tooling for Airfix, not so budget for the final buyer, instead of tooling Sabre with all the possibilities of 2020 tooling, cornering Sabre market for the forseeable future, this will be easily surpassed by anyone deciding to tackle the subject in a serious manner.

Edited by Thomas V.
  • Like 4