1/48 - North American/Canadair F-86F-40 Sabre F.4 - released - new CMK sets

Homebee

44 minutes ago, Wez said:

So a slat wig F. 4 is doable, with some adjustments, from this kit?  I'm happy with that!

I don't think it will be easy, since you'd have to modify the entire leading edge section to remove the 6-3 chord stretch which is still present on the F-40 slatted wing.

This kit is the wide-chord/extended tip slatted wing. You should be able to cross-kit with the F.4 tips to get a Mk6 wing (and then are just a set of sugar scoops away from a representation of the Mk6). But you'd need a a replacement for the whole wing top/tip sprue to get to a slatted F4.

The Sabre Dog wing swap is likely still the better solution to get a slatted F.4 or E.

Edited by Adam Maas

5 hours ago, Homebee said:

In Spring 2022, Airfix is to release a 1/48th North American F-86F-40 Sabre kit - ref. A08110

New variant = new parts: wings

https://uk.airfix.com/products/north-american-f-86f-40-sabre-a08110

a08110-1.jpg

a08110-9.jpg

A new tool F-40, in my favourite scale, and with dropped slatsand flaps too! What a time to be alive. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Adam Maas said:

I don't think it will be easy, since you'd have to modify the entire leading edge section to remove the 6-3 chord stretch which is still present on the F-40 slatted wing.

This kit is the wide-chord/extended tip slatted wing. You should be able to cross-kit with the F.4 tips to get a Mk6 wing (and then are just a set of sugar scoops away from a representation of the Mk6). But you'd need a a replacement for the whole wing top/tip sprue to get to a slatted F4.

The Sabre Dog wing swap is likely still the better solution to get a slatted F.4 or E.

The Revell issue of the Hasegawa kit came with replacement wingtips in both resin and plastic to convert the long span wing to a short span Sabre 6, so I have a spare set there.  As for the chord it would surely just be a simple matter of reverse engineering what was done on the real aircraft.  On those, the leading edge cap was removed from the forward spar and the new, 6-3 hard edge bolted into place.  To take the additional chord out of this wing I could cut along the panel line which corresponds to the leading edge section, remove the additional chord, glue the leading edge back on and tidy up, it doesn't seem too difficult to me.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Wez said:

To take the additional chord out of this wing I could cut along the panel line which corresponds to the leading edge section, remove the additional chord, glue the leading edge back on and tidy up, it doesn't seem too difficult to me.

Exactly. I've done this with the Airfix F.4 kit already and it's not challenging. Bear in mind also that the 'extended' part will be on the F-40 sprue, so you won't need to touch the main wing panels.

But the box says '-40' so it means a long wing Sabre with slats. NO RAF users for this one I understand. OK for the other NATO  and other operators though.

4 hours ago, viscount806x said:

All very nice but the F40 6-3 wing with slats and extended tips has been available for years and the market cries out for the narrow slatted wing in a mainstream kit. A missed opportunity here and given the existing kit’s small shortcomings, I can’t see massive sales for this reissue. 
I expect that the project was more appealing though since the fuselage is already 6-3 engineered.

Probably our last chance of a narrow slat wing regrettably. 

Still grateful for the ongoing efforts at Hornby, great team down there.

Hasegawa did an F-40 but with no slats, you have to get a resin conversion if you wanted to drop the slats, or use the wing from the Monogram Dog, Nice to have this in fit form.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phas3e said:

The Japanese scheme reminds of the ones you would see buzzing around Godzilla in the old movies i watched as a kid, I might consider picking one up just to do that

You need to find a 1/48 Godzilla for it then. :lol:

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Paul J said:

But the box says '-40' so it means a long wing Sabre with slats. NO RAF users for this one I understand. OK for the other NATO  and other operators though.

Paul. various previous posts explain how to get a narrow-chord, slatted wing from backdating the new boxing. No-one's suggested using the new kit OOB to make an RAF Sabre.

• Like 1

Concerning the F-86 Wings options for different versions here is a quite interesting set of wing profiles with explanations.

As mentioned before here, it will be quite easy to correct the wing of this future F-86F-40 Sabre Airfix kit to have a

Canadair CL-13 Sabre Mk.6 wing.

Illustration credit : Copyright © 2009 J.R. Heiling

All rights reserved

🙂

SharkOwl

spacer.png

Edited by SharkOwl
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SharkOwl said:

Concerning the F-86 Wings options for different versions here is a quite interesting set of wing profiles with explanations.

As mentioned before here, it will be quite easy to correct the wing of this future F-86F-40 Sabre Airfix kit to have a

Canadair CL-13 Sabre Mk.6 wing.

SharkOwl

See Airfix F-86F-40 render

a08110-9.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Adam Maas said:

This kit is the wide-chord/extended tip slatted wing. You should be able to cross-kit with the F.4 tips to get a Mk6 wing (and then are just a set of sugar scoops away from a representation of the Mk6)

The sugar scoops did not come about until mid ‘58, so they are not ‘required’ to make a Sabre 6 or a 5

Tony

• Like 1

Really great news!

Now there will be a modern F-86F-40 kit that will be easire to find than the hasegawa japanese AF boxings  :) 

Finally you can now make a correct rendering of all the foreign Sabres using the F-40 wing, some wearing cool camouflage schemes, like Iranian, Ethiopian or Philippine birds:

HiDecal HD 48034 - F-86F-40 Sabre

11779_0_HD4834_1.jpghd_48034_p.jpg&ehk=nHgAAJNI4ecdBMsBxsbAW

20052706081023738416814434.jpg

38487250124_13a001bb61_b.jpg

MZSOS6J.jpg

BivZtyl.jpg

Edited by Diego
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, Tony Edmundson said:

The sugar scoops did not come about until mid ‘58, so they are not ‘required’ to make a Sabre 6 or a 5

Tony

What are the sugar scoops ?

Can you expain to me (us) ?

🙂

SharkOwl

16 minutes ago, SharkOwl said:

🙂

SharkOwl

Ventral air scoops that were fitted to many Orenda powered Canadair Sabre Mk.5 and Mk.6 aircraft.

Source: https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/details/ams/detail_ams_48017.shtml

ams-48017-p.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, SharkOwl said:

🙂

SharkOwl

Intakes on the lower fuselage just aft of the wings, they look like sugar scoops hence the name, as per Homebee's post

22 minutes ago, Homebee said:

Edited by Wez
Speelung
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Diego said:

Really great news!

Now there will be a modern F-86F-40 kit that will be easire to find than the hasegawa japanese AF boxings  :) 

Finally you can now make a correct rendering of all the foreign Sabres using the F-40 wing, some wearing cool camouflage schemes, like Iranian, Ethiopian or Philippine birds:

HiDecal HD 48034 - F-86F-40 Sabre

11779_0_HD4834_1.jpghd_48034_p.jpg&ehk=nHgAAJNI4ecdBMsBxsbAW

20052706081023738416814434.jpg

Great schemes, indeed!

17 hours ago, Tony Edmundson said:

7SYHPaK.jpg

Thank you for this photo Tony.

As the AMS Resin 1/48 scale ''sugar scoops'' parts seems no longer available, do you have the 1/1 scale detailed dimensions

of the Canadair CL-13 Sabre ''sugar scoops'' ?

Thanks in advance for the info.

🙂👍

SharkOwl 

Edited by SharkOwl

6 hours ago, SharkOwl said:

Thank you for this photo Tony.

As the AMS Resin 1/48 scale ''sugar scoops'' parts seems no longer available, do you have the 1/1 scale detailed dimensions

of the Canadair CL-13 Sabre ''sugar scoops'' ?

Thanks in advance for the info.

🙂👍

SharkOwl 

PM me, and we'll see what I can do for you

Tony

Be nice to see a CAC Sabre version released at some point, too. There are no more Red Roo Models conversions to come- the mould has reached the end of its life, apparently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Be nice to see a CAC Sabre version released at some point, too. There are no more Red Roo Models conversions to come- the mould has reached the end of its life, apparently.

I'd say little to no chance of seeing a full CAC Sabre kit in 1/48. Best bet would likely be a resin fuselage conversion to go with any of the suitable kits.

• Like 2