1/48 - North American/Canadair F-86F-40 Sabre F.4 - released - new CMK sets

Homebee

I was really hoping for a Korean War F-86A/E boxing with some cool USAF aces and SAAF ‘Flying Cheetah’ decals. This would sit nicely with their 1/48 F-51D, Meteor 8, Seafire F.47 and Sea Fury kits... wait, I’d better stop playing Airfix Marketing Manager and stick to my boring day job. 😞
Cheers.. Dave 

55 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I was really hoping for a Korean War F-86A/E boxing with some cool USAF aces and SAAF ‘Flying Cheetah’ decals. This would sit nicely with their 1/48 F-51D, Meteor 8, Seafire F.47 and Sea Fury kits... wait, I’d better stop playing Airfix Marketing Manager and stick my boring day job. 😞
Cheers.. Dave 

The kit would make up into a 6-3 winged SAAF F-86F without much effort.

11 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

The kit would make up into a 6-3 winged SAAF F-86F without much effort.

Thanks Duncan, do you know how many of these hard winged Sabres were operated by the SAAF during the Korean War? Most of the photos I’ve come across show slatted winged Sabres.

Cheers.. Dave

40 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

do you know how many of these hard winged Sabres were operated by the SAAF during the Korean War? Most of the photos I’ve come across show slatted winged Sabres.

this has been discussed somewhere,  

On 30/11/2018 at 21:57, 72modeler said:

I have attached a link I just found with some outstanding photos of No. 2 Sq. SAAF Sabres in Korea and there is a photo whose caption states that there was only one No. 2 Sq Sabre (Lady of Lorette)  that had the 6-3 wing, but it had no slats. Might the photo that I posted be a later Sabre 6 with the slatted 6-3 wing, and so not truly representative of a Korean War No, 2 Sq. F-86F, but is painted to represent one? What do you think? Maybe @Sabrejet can help us? I do love the F-51D's and F-86F's that the Springboks flew in Korea- beautiful airplanes and aggressively flown by veteran pilots!

Mike

http://www.saairforce.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7069&start=0

from the link

"622 Q 52-4572 LADY OF LORETTE, named by Capt. J. R. Morris - August 1953.
Was the only Sabre in the SAAF that had the 6"-3" wing aka as "hard wing". It had an increased wing area, a fence and did away with the slats."

Q-622LadyofLorette_zpsb8a4152f.jpg

so, from this, the answer is one.  But not my speciality, so happy to be corrected.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Is that second seat supposed to be representative of a Martin-Baker seat? If so, I believe the Germans were the first and perhaps only air force to use them, in Mk 6 Sabres. 

Norway ?? and the separate wing tips are a hint of something else.

Tony

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Is that second seat supposed to be representative of a Martin-Baker seat? If so, I believe the Germans were the first and perhaps only air force to use them, in Mk 6 Sabres. 

Norwegian Sabres were also fitted with Martin Baker seats. As well as slatted 6-3 wings.....

Nils

• Like 1

In 33Ł was a little expensive... Academy have very similar config (gun bays, and have an engine and trolley), Hasegawa have crispies details and in last Eduard L.E. nice decals, P.E. and  resin. I know, this is a another version, but price tag around 25Ł was better... So, i see. Sabre is one of my beloved aircraft... 

Version     ---      slatted - clean      ----           long span - short      ----       6-3   -  normal  chord        ----       operator

F-86 X4                  x                                              x                                         x                                               Timbuktistan AF

Dear experts,

would like to see a table like this one

Cheers

Andreas Beck

3 hours ago, ABeck said:

Version     ---      slatted - clean      ----           long span - short      ----       6-3   -  normal  chord        ----       operator

F-86 X4                  x                                              x                                         x                                               Timbuktistan AF

Dear experts,

would like to see a table like this one

Cheers

Andreas Beck

This isn't a hard and fast rule.....! Some (from what I have read and vaguely remember at the back of my mind) were also re-winged. I also seem to remember somewhere on the web, a series of pictures describing the various types of wings used on Sabres.

(found one on a PC flight sim web site - https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=226525 - scroll down to the image about half way down the page, also this one which also mentions about the re-winging of earlier models with the new wing types https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=129670)

And here's the link on a BM thread that I remembered: 

I am sure @Sabrejet would be able to explain this a lot better that I can being a mere amateur - and with a bit more detailed analysis than I can provide.

Edited by treker_ed
  • Like 2

On 9/19/2020 at 1:17 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks Duncan, do you know how many of these hard winged Sabres were operated by the SAAF during the Korean War? Most of the photos I’ve come across show slatted winged Sabres.

Cheers.. Dave

Exactly one, and AFAIK never used in combat

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ABeck said:

I never knew the Timbuktistan Air Force flew the Sabre!

Sorry. Hat, coat etc.

8 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

I never knew the Timbuktistan Air Force flew the Sabre!

Sorry. Hat, coat etc.

Still the version is unclear..., and if they were ever re-winged before the brake-up of the country in....

:devil:

Looking forward to the Airfix offering!

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

Someone form Airfix was hinting on a FB thread that this wasn't the only wing option tooled - and the parts break down would point to that.

But somewhere else on this thread was the comment that Airfix weren’t going to do a slatted wing, hence my comment!

Trevor

30 minutes ago, keithjs said:

I'm sure it's obvious to some but looking at those wing plans does it mean I can build the Canadian Mk.2 on the new new Xtradecal sheet?

No - you'd need the vee-screen and no-one does that yet. Ditto narrow-chord wings.

One day, in a land far, far away, someone will do separate tail sections to give us F-86A options and then the vee-screen and narrow-chord wings to go with it so we can do A, E and the Canadair Sabre 2s.

It would be a best-seller.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

No - you'd need the vee-screen and no-one does that yet. Ditto narrow-chord wings.

One day, in a land far, far away, someone will do separate tail sections to give us F-86A options and then the vee-screen and narrow-chord wings to go with it so we can do A, E and the Canadair Sabre 2s.

It would be a best-seller.

See, I knew it wasn't that simple...Firstly, whats a vee-screen? and those drawings show narrow cord wings are fitted to Mk1-4. The one I want to do is a Mk.2....but you say they don't have narrow cord wings which if the Airfix kit is actually a Mk.4 they should have them..?

Sorry to be a pain...

1 hour ago, keithjs said:

See, I knew it wasn't that simple...Firstly, whats a vee-screen? and those drawings show narrow cord wings are fitted to Mk1-4. The one I want to do is a Mk.2....but you say they don't have narrow cord wings which if the Airfix kit is actually a Mk.4 they should have them..?

Sorry to be a pain...

The vee-screen is the vee-shaped windshield fitted to F-86A, early F-86E and Sabres 1 and 2. The side screens are also different, so it's not as simple as putting a vee-shaped addition onto an F-86F windshield.

Most Sabre 4s had narrow-chord, slatted wings from manufacture but the last few incorporated the 6-3 wing without slats. Then many RAF Sabre 4s were modified to have the 6-3 wing after entry into service. All those which were transferred to the USAF (including those subsequently scrapped) were brought up to 6-3 standard and so Italian and Yugoslav Sabre 4s have 6-3 wings, as do Honduran (ex-Yugoslav) Sabre 4s.

In summary, Sabre 4s can have both wings.

RCAF Sabre 2s have narrow-chord wings!

• Like 1