1/48 - North American/Canadair F-86F-40 Sabre F.4 - released - new CMK sets

Homebee

8 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thanks that answers one question, which leads me to another. The old Monogram 1/48 F-86F Sabre, 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/monogram-5427-f-86-sabrejet--177880

which model of the 86 does that represent ? 

Dennis

I've never seen the kit in the flesh but I was always under the impression it was a Sabre 5 which is...

On 03/03/2020 at 13:53, Sabrejet said:

Sabre 5 and 6 were Canadian-built versions of the F-86E but with Orenda engines of different power ratings. The Sabre 5 featured the '6-3' wing first seen on the Sabre 4 and most also had prominent 'sugar scoop' engine cooling intakes on the lower aft fuselage.

Hopefully somebody can confirm which version of Sabre it's meant to be.

EDIT:  Looking at the Scalemates timeline it looks like either an E or an F.

Edited by Wez
  • Thanks 1

I don´t understand, why in 1/72 scale have Airfix in their Sabres attractive marking option - and in quarter scale two identical and boring schemes :( In 1/72 Canadair was Shark Mouth RAF Sabre (and looks pretty good), Yugoslavian (Sabre with Red Stars - WOHOOO  - and isn´t what if) and when is packaged as US Sabre have Huff the Dragon from Korean War and Italian "Cavalino Rampete". And in quarter scale are two RAF - without Shark Mouth :(  Sadly, when was copy-paste the markings scheme from small scale i bought it. I LOVE Sabres ! :) But renders looks good and have open a ammution hatch... I was curious for price tag, Academy is little old, but still accetable and was cheap (and have engine). Hasegawa is too nice.... But i presumed a Airfix was little high pricing as Academy and Hawa. So i waif for another markings (Yugoslavian & UK Shark may be nice !) 

17 minutes ago, AlCZ said:

I don´t understand, why in 1/72 scale have Airfix in their Sabres attractive marking option - and in quarter scale two identical and boring schemes :( In 1/72 Canadair was Shark Mouth RAF Sabre (and looks pretty good), Yugoslavian (Sabre with Red Stars - WOHOOO  - and isn´t what if) and when is packaged as US Sabre have Huff the Dragon from Korean War and Italian "Cavalino Rampete". And in quarter scale are two RAF - without Shark Mouth :( Sadly, when was copy-paste the markings scheme from small scale i bought it. I LOVE Sabres ! :) But renders looks good and have open a ammution hatch... I was curious for price tag, Academy is little old, but still accetable and was cheap (and have engine). Hasegawa is too nice.... But i presumed a Airfix was little high pricing as Academy and Hawa. So i waif for another markings (Yugoslavian & UK Shark may be nice !) 

3 and 4 Squadrons were the two oldest flying units of the RAF to operate the Sabre, both doing so in RAF Germany.  The 3Squadron Jet was, I believe, the Boss’s aeroplane, hence the green intake ring and fin band.  The 4 Squadron scheme depicted is less visually interesting but depicts a very brief period when single-letter squadron codes were in use: these were replaced with the Squadron’s black, red and yellow bars before the Sabres were replaced by Hunters.

There are other interesting RAF Sabre markings, for example XD753 of 66 Squadron with blue intake ring and fin with the latter sporting a white lightning flash which had the squadron CO’s initials superimposed in yellow, or Johnnie Johnson’s Jet with red canopy frame and fin band.  I think High Planes did a 1/48th scale decal sheet wth 112 Squadron’s shark mouth on it and I suspect that Xtradecal are already preparing a sheet with this kit in mind.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Airfix haven’t yet finalised the markings options for this kit, nor would it surprise me to find out that they’ve also planned to do a slatted wing for this kit for release in winter 2012 -‘22 (or later) so watching this space......

8 hours ago, Wez said:

I've never seen the kit in the flesh but I was always under the impression it was a Sabre 5 which is...

Hopefully somebody can confirm which version of Sabre it's meant to be.

EDIT:  Looking at the Scalemates timeline it looks like either an E or an F.

the Monogram kit is an 'F'

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Wez said:

No, it's a Sabre 4 which is equivalent to an F-86E-6 (IIRC), I'm sue @Sabrejet will correct me.

Ignoring any fuselage differences, the wings on this are the original short span with the '6-3' hard leading edge with the fence, an F-40 is a broad chord, long span wing with slats.  The Hasegawa kit is most commonly issued as an F-40, the Revell issue of the Hasegawa kit is an F-40 and is cheaper.

a Sabre 4 equates to a F-86E-10.   The F-86E-6 was a Canadian built F-86E-5, ie; the Sabre 2.

Tony

• Thanks 1

Just now, Tony Edmundson said:

a Sabre 4 equates to a F-86E-10.   The F-86E-6 was a Canadian built F-86E-5, ie; the Sabre 2.

Tony

Thanks again Tony.

On 4/17/2020 at 7:33 PM, Homebee said:

p_exclusive_new_model_kit_development_de

I may be reading way too much into this image, but I see lots of colours being used which may denote different versions? The wing leading edge is in yellow and the belly and underside are in green. Given the ammo hatch at the wing root is separate, could this mean both slotted and unslotted wings? Consider the Hunter. Airfix produced this with the dog tooth leading edge, but with a deep scoring on the inside showing the area for removal to do the F.4-5 in the second boxing. This obviated the need for two separate wing mouldings. My guess is a 6-3 wing first, with a slot-in, replacement slat wing in the second release.

As a point of interest, why pick out the belly in green? Do the Orenda engined versions have differing panels and vents?

Trevor

4 hours ago, stever219 said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if Airfix haven’t yet finalised the markings options for this kit, nor would it surprise me to find out that they’ve also planned to do a slatted wing for this kit for release in winter 2012 -‘22 (or later) so watching this space......

The Airfix team went to Norway to scan the F-86F at the Gardermoen museum. As there still are Sabres available in the UK, this does not make sense - unless they want to to an extended span slatted wing....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stever219 said:

3 and 4 Squadrons were the two oldest flying units of the RAF to operate the Sabre, both doing so in RAF Germany.  The 3Squadron Jet was, I believe, the Boss’s aeroplane, hence the green intake ring and fin band.  The 4 Squadron scheme depicted is less visually interesting but depicts a very brief period when single-letter squadron codes were in use: these were replaced with the Squadron’s black, red and yellow bars before the Sabres were replaced by Hunters.

There are other interesting RAF Sabre markings, for example XD753 of 66 Squadron with blue intake ring and fin with the latter sporting a white lightning flash which had the squadron CO’s initials superimposed in yellow, or Johnnie Johnson’s Jet with red canopy frame and fin band.  I think High Planes did a 1/48th scale decal sheet wth 112 Squadron’s shark mouth on it and I suspect that Xtradecal are already preparing a sheet with this kit in mind.

This sheet has the 66 Sqn machine with the blue intake ring and fin.

HPD048001_BX_RevB__65286.1318310539.1280

Edited by VMA131Marine

1 hour ago, Vingtor said:

The Airfix team went to Norway to scan the F-86F at the Gardermoen museum. As there still are Sabres available in the UK, this does not make sense - unless they want to to an extended span slatted wing....

I wasn’t aware of the Airfix visit to Norway, thank you.

At present the only two Sabres I can think of in the UK are at Cosford and Coventry.  The world’s only airworthy “A” was re-exported to America some time ago, so if you know of any others please let me know because I can feel a few excursions coming on post-lockdown.

56 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

This sheet has the 66 Sqn machine with the blue intake ring and fin.

Brilliant, thank you.  I may have a copy of that, somewhere.......

The one at Coventry is an early A with the covered gun positions. Some of the parts are not original either.

The RAF have a MK.4  in Cosford, the next nearest is in Italy 

6 hours ago, Vingtor said:

Perhaps they just fancied going on a jolly to Norway!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Julien said:

The one at Coventry is an early A with the covered gun positions. Some of the parts are not original either.

The RAF have a MK.4  in Cosford, the next nearest is in Italy 

I would have loved to have seen the Airfix team hanging from the roof of the Cold War building trying to scan the Cosford one!!! 

Sometimes is costs less to travel to access an aircraft than going to the nearest one, some museums, especially the national ones, charge very high hourly fees to scan an exhibit and also have very tight rules on what can and can't be done, removal of intake covers etc. 

16 hours ago, Vingtor said:

Personnally, I am quite sure that Airfix is not making such an investment only to produce a Mk.4.

I bet they will also eventually release both Canadair Sabre Mk.5 and Mk.6 versions with slatted wings.

For example they have already release to date two versions of their excellent Hawker Hunter Kit.

The Mk.4 release date if for Christmas 2020 so it will be logical to think that a Mk.5 release will be for 

2021 and a Mk.6 release will be for 2022 !

😎

SharkOwl   

Edited by SharkOwl

10 minutes ago, SharkOwl said:

The Mk.4 release date if for Christmas 2020 so it will be logical to think that a Mk.5 release will be for 

I hope we'll see a slat wing Sabre 4 before we see any other version.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SharkOwl said:

Personnally, I am quite sure that Airfix is not making such an investment only to produce a Mk.4.

I bet they will also eventually release both Canadair Sabre Mk.5 and Mk.6 versions with slatted wings.

For example they have already release to date two versions of their excellent Hawker Hunter Kit.

😎

SharkOwl   

We can but hope

1 hour ago, Wez said:

I hope we'll see a slat wing Sabre 4 before we see any other version.

and we really hope that is the case

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Re;  wings.     their research is suspect as they (Airfix) have followed the lead of every other Sabre kit manufacturer and placed the wing pylons further out than Station 99.

It is quite evident by the top view of the colourful rendering.

Don't hold your breath for any other correct versions of any Canadair Sabre mark.

I hate to be pessimistic but nothing shows that Airfix intend otherwise.

Tony

14 hours ago, Tony Edmundson said:

Re;  wings.     their research is suspect as they (Airfix) have followed the lead of every other Sabre kit manufacturer and placed the wing pylons further out than Station 99.

It is quite evident by the top view of the colourful rendering.

Don't hold your breath for any other correct versions of any Canadair Sabre mark.

I hate to be pessimistic but nothing shows that Airfix intend otherwise.

Tony

Please tell them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony Edmundson said:

more knowledgeable folk than I, have already been there

Tony

Sorry Tony, but that's no excuse not to pass your knowledge on.

Better to pass the information on rather than bellyache about things later.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1