1/48 - North American/Canadair F-86F-40 Sabre F.4 - released - new CMK sets

Homebee

Good day from Rimouski Québec Canada.

As a Canadian customer, I think that Airfix could already annnounced if they intend (or not) to release a family of

Canadair Sabre including not only the Mk.4 (F.4) but also a Mk.5 and a Mk.6.

I really hope they will follow with this approach with their Sabre kit, just like they already do with their excellent

1/48 Hawker Hunter, already available in a F.6 box, a soon to come F.4 box and a most probable later FGA.9 box. 

😎     

SharkOwl

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SharkOwl said:

As a Canadian customer, I think that Airfix could already annnounced if they intend (or not) to release a family of

I really hope they will follow with this approach with their Sabre kit, just like they already do with their excellent

1/48 Hawker Hunter, already available in a F.6 box, a soon to come F.4 box and a most probable later FGA.9 box. 

😎     

SharkOwl

More like Airfix to keep us guessing!

We'll have a better idea once we get it in our sticky mitts.

36 minutes ago, SharkOwl said:

😎     

SharkOwl

And from the clear sprue a likely FR.10..... :)

Maybe the new business model is release a tool, then do a follow up but then let it lie dormant for a few years having designed in the possibility of future, different, editions once demand has built up again...

I can almost see the Tooby Golden Hawks version artwork now!

TT 

• Like 1

Source: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/a-new-decade-of-airfix-modelling-excellence

Please be aware that several of the images used within this edition of Workbench have been produced solely for website and catalogue illustrative purposes and may be subject to significant change during product development. Scheme details, colours and markings and computer rendered images shown at this early stage may not represent what will appear on the finished models, as the development team still have much work to do. We are happy to share them with our readers as they help to illustrate the new range, but please don’t assume that they are set in stone (or plastic, in this case).

Over recent years, our 1/48th scale kit range has become incredibly popular with modellers and as such, has been the subject of significant new tooling support during that time. Adding a further boost to this successful series of models, the 2020 range may only include a single new tooling addition in this scale, but it is an absolute cracker and could quite conceivably be the highlight announcement for many. The Canadair Sabre F.4 was a licence built variant of the successful North American F-86 Sabre, produced in Canada, with the vast majority of the 438 aircraft production run destined for Royal Air Force service.

Despite being regarded as one of the world’s most successful early generation jet fighters, the Royal Air Force would only use the Sabre for a relatively short period and only because of continued development delays associated with the British designed Supermarine Swift and Hawker Hunter. Nevertheless, the Sabre provided the RAF with a capable jet fighter at a crucial period in world history, buying them valuable time until they could introduce their own indigenous swept wing fighter designs.

In this larger scale, the new Sabre will build into a particularly striking model once it is released and will sit nicely with the existing Meteor and Hunter releases in 1/48th scale. We are very much looking forward to bringing you full development details from what is a really exciting new tooling project and one we feel sure will be of interest to thousands of modellers.

m_new_airfix_canadair_sabre_f4_model_kit

n_new_airfix_canadair_sabre_f4_model_kit

V.P.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Great thread guys, good info as always - especially re the details of the wing variations.  Personally, if it's a slatted wing that can be posed open I'll be buying as soon as I can, and more than one. If it's another fenced variant I won't be - I have a Hasegawa Mk 4 and Italeri E in my stash both waiting for resin and I don't want another. I seriously hope there's sprue variants in the kit (just like XVIII rudder in the Mk XIV Spitfire kit, and the Hunter F6 and F4 wing). Fingers crossed!

Edited by CplPunishment
Spelling mistake.
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, CplPunishment said:

I have a Hasegawa Mk 4 and Italeri E in my stash both waiting for resin and I don't want another. 

Neither kit will give you an accurate Sabre 4 OOB; the Airfix kit will address that issue correctly.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

Neither kit will give you an accurate Sabre 4 OOB; the Airfix kit will address that issue correctly.

Oo, exciting! If that's the case they're likely to stay in the stash. Cheers!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 28/02/2020 at 21:06, Sabre Freak said:

Winter 2020 is just about run it’s course

I have no idea what Airfix's intpretation of winter 2020 is? However, winter 2020 officially starts on the 21st Dec. 2020 therefore its a way off yet and I would like have some form of summer first 🙂

Just sayin', like.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/1/2020 at 7:12 AM, The Tomohawk Kid said:

I have no idea what Airfix's intpretation of winter 2020 is? However, winter 2020 officially starts on the 21st Dec. 2020 therefore its a way off yet and I would like have some form of summer first 🙂

Just sayin', like.

Tommo.

Excellent point actually.  I thought for sure the availability said Winter 2019-2020, but now that I went back to check, it clearly states 2020-2021.

so, put this on the back burner for another 6 mo

On 1/8/2020 at 3:25 PM, SharkOwl said:

😎     

SharkOwl

What are the visual differences between the Canadair CL-13 Mk.4, Mk.5, Mk.6 and North American F-86A & F?

Edited by Phantom Phil

Starting with the F-86A, there are two main versions: F-86A-1 and F-86A-5/6/7. The A-1 has a rounded windshield and a 'long' portion to the sliding canopy. It also has prominent mid-fuselage vents. Short-chord, short-span wing with slats, horizontal tail with elevators and mass balances. 'Smooth' tail contour in front of the horizontal tails and flush gun muzzle covers. Tail navigation lights were stacked vertically. This version has never been kitted. No pitot tube on wingtip.

The F-86A-5/6/7 had a vee-screen and a shorter clear section to the sliding canopy. All production versions had the flush gun muzzles but most were retrofitted with open gun muzzles. This version has been kitted but never accurately. A number of conversion sets have been released but none has yet accurately captured the vee-screen. Most had no pitot tube on the wingtip but were later retrofitted. There are other minor points to note such as wingtip nav lights (flush-mounted) and differences in intake (fibreglass versus metallic) on F-86A-1/5 and F-86A-6/7.

The F-86E-1 & 5 were similar to the F-86A-5/6/7 but introduced a hydraulically-actuated all-flying tail with just trim on its aft surfaces and no separate elevator mass balances. The F-86E also introduced prominent aerodynamic fairings forward of the horizontal tailplanes so that they had vertical surfaces to butt against while operating (they are not fairings to cover actuators, as is often stated). The tail nav lights are also arranged horizontally. 

The F-86E-10 introduced the flat windshield (in place of the vee-screen) and looks similar to the F-86F. Some were given engine upgrades and were redesignated F-86F. The Sabre 4 is fundamentally the same as the F-86E-10.

The F-86F introduced a higher-power engine with increased cooling requirements: this meant that the F-86F featured a prominent vent/exhaust panel on the fuselage top, which differentiates the F model from all others. The F-86F also has no mid-fuselage vents (as seen on F-86A thru E).

Later F-86Fs featured a broad-chord '6-3' wing with no slats and a vertical wing fence. Later Sabre 4s also featured this wing.

Sabre 5 and 6 were Canadian-built versions of the F-86E but with Orenda engines of different power ratings. The Sabre 5 featured the '6-3' wing first seen on the Sabre 4 and most also had prominent 'sugar scoop' engine cooling intakes on the lower aft fuselage.

The Sabre 6 was similar but featured a slatted, broad-chord wing.

Finally the F-86F-40 featured a slatted, broad-chord wing with a span increase by 12 inches each side. Many earlier F-86Fs were converted to '6-3' wing and then to F-40 wing.

Note that the reference above contains a number of errors: the ejection seat isn't the 'T-4E-1' (the correct designation is T-4E1 and refers to the catapult charge, not the seat) and the list also repeats the common misconception that the Sabre 5 was the first Canadair version with 6-3 wing. I also have never seen photos of active service F-86Es with the 6-3 wing.

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 01/03/2020 at 07:00, Kampartiger said:

Why is it the canopy sill on the Sabres drawing not straight?I dunt remember it having any curves!

Hopefully thats just the artist at play as it is straight!

Canopy looks straight on the latest CAD. Also the correct distance down on the main canopy from the screen which was incorrect on the 1/72 kit

t_exclusive_new_model_kit_development_de

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

From what I can tell, there’s nothing in those Workbench images that indicate a slat wing is possible. Yes, I know it’s early days but none the less. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

A question to the Sabre fans, is this Mk.4 an F-86F-40 aircraft?

No, it's a Sabre 4 which is equivalent to an F-86E-6 (IIRC), I'm sue @Sabrejet will correct me.

Ignoring any fuselage differences, the wings on this are the original short span with the '6-3' hard leading edge with the fence, an F-40 is a broad chord, long span wing with slats.  The Hasegawa kit is most commonly issued as an F-40, the Revell issue of the Hasegawa kit is an F-40 and is cheaper.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wez said:

No, it's a Sabre 4 which is equivalent to an F-86E-6 (IIRC), I'm sue @Sabrejet will correct me.

Thanks that answers one question, which leads me to another. The old Monogram 1/48 F-86F Sabre, 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/monogram-5427-f-86-sabrejet--177880

which model of the 86F does that represent ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle