1/72 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vc by Airfix - released

Homebee

Thought I’d add a few more pics. Airfix’s Vc has some new (to me) refinements. The oil cooler, radiator, and air intake all have recesses in the lower wing, for example. 

spacer.png

Boxed in wheel wells:

spacer.png

The previously-mentioned oil coolers & cockpit details.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Plus the non-tropical filter (circled):

spacer.png

And an aftermarket decal option that’s closer to (my) home:

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 17/12/2020 at 19:31, GMK said:

The oil cooler, radiator, and air intake all have recesses in the lower wing, for example. 

But they've missed the gun heating tubes from behind the radiator (present on their recent MkI) and the corresponding vents on the wing underside outboard of the guns (missing on the earlier kit as well)

On 17/12/2020 at 19:31, GMK said:

Plus the non-tropical filter (circled):

and the standard nose underside for use instead of the Vokes filter just to the right.

Edited by Dave Swindell
See post below ref strikeout.

2 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

But they've missed the gun heating tubes from behind the radiator (present on their recent MkI) and the corresponding vents on the wing underside outboard of the guns (missing on the earlier kit as well)

It's a Vc, not a Vb. The Vc does not have lower wing gun-bay heating vents outboard of the gun bays

Then why do early Mk.Vc have a small bulge on the upper wing just inboard and forward of the aileron?  There may be some other reason, of course but I understood that this was for taking warm air out to the gun.  I also believe that PP.H  BR498 was a Mk.Vc with the obvious hole aft of the exhausts where the gun heating tube would fit.

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

Then why do early Mk.Vc have a small bulge on the upper wing just inboard and forward of the aileron?

No idea, but I have never seen a Vc or IX with lower outboard exhaust vents. AR501 doesn't have them, neither does EE583, nor does EE602 or JG891. Happy to be shown otherwise via photographic evidence

Edited by Work In Progress

6 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

and the standard nose underside for use instead of the Vokes filter just to the right.

Absolutely. Not called out by me as it’s a lot easier to see than the itty bitty intake bits. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

It's a Vc, not a Vb. The Vc does not have lower wing gun-bay heating vents outboard of the gun bays

I was under the impression they did, but a quick scan through a few books shows some definitely without, and others inconclusive, but I'm inclined to agree with you, no vents.

3 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

AR501 doesn't have them, neither does EE583, nor does EE602 or JG891.

All current airworthy aircraft with no need for gun heating, recent photo's may not be representative of as built condition 

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Then why do early Mk.Vc have a small bulge on the upper wing just inboard and forward of the aileron?  There may be some other reason, of course but I understood that this was for taking warm air out to the gun.  I also believe that PP.H  BR498 was a Mk.Vc with the obvious hole aft of the exhausts where the gun heating tube would fit.

Not saying there was no gun heating, just that there was no underwing extractor vent.

Just so we're clear, and I'm sure you know already, the C wing refers to the armament layout, not a single type of wing  - the Vc wing was different to the IXc wing and the two were not interchangeable, they differed in structure to some extent, oil and coolant plumbing were different, radiator fit was different and pertinent to this discussion, the gun heating arrangement was different.

The gun heating ducting in the Vc wing was essentially the same as that fitted to the Vb (as described and illustrated in the AP)

The AP also illustrates (drawing and photo) the underwing gun extractor vent on the Vb wing (but doesn't illustrate the underside of the Vc wing or mention the absence of the vent)

I'd therefore assumed the Vc was similarly fitted, and the vent disappeared with the introduction of the different gun heating layout with the twin radiator arrangement of the MkIX, so you don't see any IXc's with the vent.

I'm now inclined to think that the vents disappeared around the time of the introduction of the exhaust intensifier gun heating on the Vb - early Vb's without the intensifier tube definitely have the vents, but later Vb's with the intensifer tube don't appear to have the vent. 

The vents acted as venturi to help draw warm air to the outer gun positions (which is why the port one is larger as it had further to pull the air over from the radiator under the stbd wing). On the A wing and early B's the radiator ducting heated all the guns. With the introduction of the exhaust intensifier heating the same radiator ducting only heated the cannon, the MG's being heated by the air supplied from the exhaust intensifiers. 

It would be reasonable to assume therefore that  the exhaust intensifier gun heating could be designed in such a way that the vent was no longer needed - a lower volume of potentially higher temperature air would be sufficient to heat a much smaller space.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

All current airworthy aircraft with no need for gun heating, recent photo's may not be representative of as built condition 

It's four-nil, it's literally every Spitfire Vc of which I can find clear photography of the affected area.  And in fact five-nil now as I've finally found the right angle on JK808,  which has not flown since 1952.

JK808.jpg

Plus here's BR202 clearly without in 1942 

mev-10839869.jpg

In the absence of any evidence that outboard underwing heat extractors WERE fitted to the Vc, I think it's a slam-dunk case that Airfix have done the right thing. 

It is well established that the Vc had different heating arrangements from those of the V, partly because its armament layout was very different and partly because that of the Vb was getting complained about. The Vc arrangement was also highly criticised by the Australians for its own inadequacies, as well rehearsed somewhere in a long thread in these parts a few years ago, but which I can't currently put my finger on

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LN-KEH said:

Is it feasible for Airfix to release a Seafire F Mk IIc based on these mouldings by adding a sprue or two to cover the differences? 

Yes but "a couple of sprues" is a lot on a kit that's not much more than a couple of sprues in the first place.  I would not hold your breath as one of those would have to be a new fuselage, as they would need to incorporate the pretty visible external strengthening straps as well as the hook, changing the prop etc

Im horribly disappointed in Airfix and hope they read this. The Vc and the Beaufort were the first two kits I’ve pre-ordered since 2004. I would expect to be one of the first people to be notified by the Manufacturer. At least before other Retailers would/should get there’s ? Im still waiting on an email notification thats probably not going to show up ? Extremely disappointed in Airfix’s bait and delay here and If I come across one or both before I receive the email will cancel my order with Airfix and not place any in the future. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Patience @Corsairfoxfouruncle, patience. Good things come to those who wait.

The Beaufort isn't released yet, due in January next year.

The Vc has only just been released in the UK, and from what I've read on here, those in the UK who pre-ordered it from Airfix got shipping emails and received theirs before the likes of Hannants received their stock.

As I understand it, pre-orders from the US/Canada are fulfilled by the US importer Airfix/Humbrol/Hornby USA, so if they've not received stock yet they won't have shipped, hence no email.

Global freight is currently having a bit of a meltdown at the moment, with major problems shipping out of China in particular, so a significant part of the delays on delivery are out of Airfix's control. Just hope they weren't being shipped on ONE Apus, otherwise you could be in for a quite a wait...

wDJI_0072-800x533.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hate to resurrect a thread after almost a year, but I pre-ordered 2 of the Spitfire Mk. Vc's from Airfix directly here in the US.  They actually called my house around March or April this year to confirm I wanted 2.  Since then... nothing.  I've looked on flea bay and at all my usual hobby supplies and have found nothing.  It's like they stopped making them.

Anybody know anything about this?  Part of the reason I want to do these is the paint/decal schemes... and part because I heard it's a great kit.  I realize they'll probably tool these up in the future (I see there's already a beginners set in the works), but I'll miss out on the paint/decal schemes.

Any news or even rumors would be appreciated. 

Is Airfix responsive to email inquiries?  Maybe I should try.... 🤔 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, opus999 said:

Hate to resurrect a thread after almost a year, but I pre-ordered 2 of the Spitfire Mk. Vc's from Airfix directly here in the US.  They actually called my house around March or April this year to confirm I wanted 2.  Since then... nothing.  I've looked on flea bay and at all my usual hobby supplies and have found nothing.  It's like they stopped making them.

Anybody know anything about this?  Part of the reason I want to do these is the paint/decal schemes... and part because I heard it's a great kit.  I realize they'll probably tool these up in the future (I see there's already a beginners set in the works), but I'll miss out on the paint/decal schemes.

Any news or even rumors would be appreciated. 

Is Airfix responsive to email inquiries?  Maybe I should try.... 🤔 

you’ve had better response than me. I ordered mine the day they were announced in 2020 and have heard nothing from them. I ordered the Beaufort at roughly the same time and got an email this week. Sadly the funds to buy right now are non existent. 

2 hours ago, opus999 said:

Hmm, well misery loves company i guess... :D   Glad to hear I'm not the only one (I think).   I wonder what the deal is?

Its probably a lot to do with the global scourge going on. Production is down, shipping is slow and Ive read in other threads that Airfix only produce so much at a time. They've apparently been caught out by other kits failing to meet sales figures (He.111 & Nimrod) come to mind. 

• Like 2