1/72 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vc by Airfix - released

Homebee

Not Spitfire related, but the Top Gun kits were available in my local hobby shop in Seattle long before the UK.  Usually it is the other way around.  I kinda hoped the Spitfire would be the same, but no such luck...

Jim

37 minutes ago, airjiml2 said:

Not Spitfire related, but the Top Gun kits were available in my local hobby shop in Seattle long before the UK.  Usually it is the other way around.  I kinda hoped the Spitfire would be the same, but no such luck...

Jim

Again off topic, however these Top Gun kits did arrive in Australia in super quick time as well. I’ve noticed them in generic Toyshops already which did surprise me a little. I’m sure these Spits will arrive here just after Xmas. 
Cheers.. Dave 

4 hours ago, Trenton guy said:

I can get it from Germany and I can get it from Italy but I can’t get it from Britain. What’s going on Airfix?

Customs, distribution and container mayhem.

There's shipments that can't be unloaded in UK ports that get sent to Rotterdam or Antwerp until there's either a spot, or unloaded there and shipped via rail (but then they need to be cleared again, which causes delays, yadda yadda)

Since nobody's sure what's going to happen come Jan 1st, there's a fair bit of stockpiling going on.

As mooted above,  I suspect the Issues at the docks in the UK are at the bottom of the delivery problems.  I work for a large electrical retailer, and week on week, we are probably getting around 50% of the containers in that we are expecting, with no real idea of when the situation will stabilise. 

• Like 1

Just arrived! Plastic looks good. But strange colours on the SAAF roundels? Are they supposed to be that colour? I can take a picture in daylight if anyone’s interested.

Edited by Johnson
SAAF not RAF! Apologies.

6 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Just arrived! Plastic looks good. But strange colours on the RAF roundels? Are they supposed to be that colour? I can take a picture in daylight if anyone’s interested.

D’you mean that the centres are a bit orange (the aircraft is from 2 Sqn SAAF - there’s a thread about that on here somewhere regarding how widespread the orange centres to the roundels  were on SAAF aircraft post-1943), or that they’re all a bit off?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, XV107 said:

the aircraft is from 2 Sqn SAAF - there’s a thread about that on here somewhere regarding how widespread the orange centres to the roundels  were on SAAF aircraft post-1943),

Yes, thanks, the orange centre. But it seems Airfix got it right, which is great. Restores my faith in Airfix. Their decals have been second to none in recent years (a personal opinion, not trying to get into a bun fight about this!)

Cheers,

P.S. I corrected my slapdash typo; SAAF not RAF.

18 hours ago, XV107 said:

there’s a thread about that on here somewhere regarding how widespread the orange centres to the roundels  were on SAAF aircraft post-1943)

Possibly this one? 

Back to the kit; the Research notes in the kit instructions mentions 'photos of JL115...'  A google search for photos of JL115 failed to bring anything up. I did get a hit on the Asisbiz website, a profile showing 1 cannon per wing rather than the 2 per wing the kit suggests;

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Spitfire/SAAF-2Sqn-DB/pages/Spitfire-MkVcTrop-SAAF-2Sqn-DBV-JL115-Gioia-del-Colle-Italy-Oct-1943-0A.html

but it's just a profile... 🙄. Anyone seen a photo?

Cheers,

• Like 1

Well, mine has arrived in sunny Australia. 

Some pics:

spacer.png

Cockpit sidewalls:

spacer.png

Wing interior:

spacer.png

Rudder detail:

spacer.png

Horizontal stabiliser & fairing:

spacer.png

Cockpit stuff:

spacer.png

More cockpit stuff:

spacer.png

Interior of the Vokes filter:

spacer.png

Apologies for the potato quality of the pics. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, GMK said:

Well, mine has arrived in sunny Australia.

<snip>

Apologies for the potato quality of the pics. 

Are you kidding? Those are great images - thank you for taking the time and effort to post them! My only quibble about what I see is that the upper wing surface aileron hinge line shows no distinction from the panel lines on the kit. But I do have a couple of scribing tools, so...  ;) Otherwise, I see a lot to like!

John

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

My only quibble about what I see is that the upper wing surface aileron hinge line shows no distinction from the panel lines on the kit.

It does seem to be an unnecessary spoiling factor - 'one size fits all' panel lines hearken back to toys and diecasts. It's one consistently stubborn Airfix practice which keeps them from being among the very top in kit quality. It's fixable, but why do it in the first place?

• Like 3

Interesting that Airfix provide two versions of the cooler under the left wing.
They only differ a bit in the air outlet area.

Since I've received the kit I feel like a child at Xmas :)
It's so good,
I compared it with the AZ which isn't bad either and has quite more details even (rivets and fastening screws).
Their* (*the AZ's) wing span appears to be slightly short tho.

But bite me anyways, I just like Airfix kits especially their latest releases :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, occa said:

Their wing span appears to be slightly short tho.

Measure it? 
Two numbers that stick in my head are Don Bradman’s 99.94 Batting average and 36’ 10” for the Spitfire’s (elliptical) wingspan. That’s pretty close to 156mm in 1/72 scale. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Thanks for the photos - does anyone else think they look a wee bit shallower (if not finer) than previous kittage from them?

TT

You mean the panel lines? Not sure if this photo captures it too well, but they're a huge improvement on the Spit Mk I.   

spacer.png

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Measure it? 
Two numbers that stick in my head are Don Bradman’s 99.94 Batting average and 36’ 10” for the Spitfire’s (elliptical) wingspan. That’s pretty close to 156mm in 1/72 scale. 

Sorry for not being clear, I corrected my post you quoted from.

I meant the AZ has a shorter wingspan than the Airfix,, just from comparing the bottom wing parts.

But both bottom wings end where the end plates are attached so it's not the full span.