1/72 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vc by Airfix - released

Homebee

9 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Although I do wonder quite what use as spares is the wide range of canopies without windscreens.

use them on the Heller one? That's as thick as a bank vault anyway... 

/runs away very fast

I've quite frequently upgraded Spitfire sliding canopy sections with thinner / nicer / clearer substitutes while using kit windscreens. Usually vac-form ones but I could see myself putting an Eduard canopy, slid back, on a Heller XVI. If you're having the canopy open the thinner canopy will always tend to sit better, and any minor discrepancies between the profiles of the windscreen arches on the two sections go un-noticed

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon all

I bought this kit from my local dealer in Caen yesterday ,while it is not yet in stock at Hannant's , I would be curious to know how it is possible ?

Patrice

Probably so would Hannants!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I thought by putting it on back order it meant you got first dibs with Hannants but it seems not so have now bought one off E-Bay instead and cancelled my back order.

Mind you I still have the new SH Bf 109E-4 and AZ Bf 109E-3 on back order so will see how these pan out.

Regards

Colin.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, fishplanebeer said:

I thought by putting it on back order it meant you got first dibs with Hannants...

Colin.

Yes, so did I. But as I'm not in a tearing hurry to do another Spit for a bit I'm leaving mine to turn up when it's finally ready. At least you get a bit of money off if you use their back (of the queue) ordering system...

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I have a pre order from Airfix that I'm still waiting on an email for, Its never shown up ? I don't get it you pre-order with the manufacturer themselves, you would think you would expect to get a notification first from them. 

Yes it is all rather odd.  Had a bunch on back ordered with 'Big H' since before Pontius was a Pilate.  Is this all a big game by Airfix?  Is this how the Beaufort and the Vulcan are going to play out as well?  I can sort of understand Airfix trying to make more out of retail sales (but for weeks first?) itself but in the long run it is just going to miff a lot of people off.  Another bad PR move by the upper management at Airfix.  If on backorder with 'Big H' its 7.49, if ordered today at Wonderland it is 12.49!!! 

From the overseas shipping view - the bit Airfix does not get is - they always use a shipping company that uses a broker, which means duty/customs no matter how small the order is, including handling fees.  There is no option to use regular surface or air mail post.  They make shipping expensive compared to anybody else.

PM

• Like 1

On 12/7/2020 at 6:30 PM, Patrick Martin said:

Yes it is all rather odd. 

Not really, considering the situation.

Had a bunch on back ordered with 'Big H' since before Pontius was a Pilate.  Is this all a big game by Airfix? 

No. Hannant's is an independent retailer that can decide themselves to offer a pre-order (reservation).

That does mean they can put in an order with AFX for *base amount preorder* X dropout %%.

Whether they get that shipment in on time with the current distribution mayhem all over the world is another matter.

Is this how the Beaufort and the Vulcan are going to play out as well?  I can sort of understand Airfix trying to make more out of retail sales (but for weeks first?) itself but in the long run it is just going to miff a lot of people off. 

You are aware that current delays are largely due to the fallout of the covid19 pandemic?
Production slots rescheduled, distribution and transport problems (not only AFX), reduced staff levels in all phases of the entire process...

If you're miffed off about a 6 month delay in getting a kit, I'd say we're pretty well off relatively..

Another bad PR move by the upper management at Airfix.  If on backorder with 'Big H' its 7.49, if ordered today at Wonderland it is 12.49!!! 

Again. What prices other retailers offer is not directly under the influence of Airfix upper management :)

Thank goodness it isn't. You should have a look at how computer hardware pricing structures are done. 

From the overseas shipping view - the bit Airfix does not get is - they always use a shipping company that uses a broker, which means duty/customs no matter how small the order is, including handling fees.  There is no option to use regular surface or air mail post.  They make shipping expensive compared to anybody else.

Retailing from their own online store is not their primary means of sales - in fact, AFX prefers to have retailers that have physical presence over online only stores.

Stocks are therefore not guaranteed to be first in line for their own store - one could say that that is a positive move towards their retailers.

So by all means, order from your favourite retailer if that is easier/cheaper. 

Apart from that, duty/customs is required by law so I don't quite see why you expect AFX to try and dodge that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Not really, considering the situation.

No. Hannant's is an independent retailer that can decide themselves to offer a pre-order (reservation).

That does mean they can put in an order with AFX for *base amount preorder* X dropout %%.

Whether they get that shipment in on time with the current distribution mayhem all over the world is another matter.

You are aware that current delays are largely due to the fallout of the covid19 pandemic?
Production slots rescheduled, distribution and transport problems (not only AFX), reduced staff levels in all phases of the entire process...

If you're miffed off about a 6 month delay in getting a kit, I'd say we're pretty well off relatively..

Again. What prices other retailers offer is not directly under the influence of Airfix upper management :)

Thank goodness it isn't. You should have a look at how computer hardware pricing structures are done. 

Retailing from their own online store is not their primary means of sales - in fact, AFX prefers to have retailers that have physical presence over online only stores.

Stocks are therefore not guaranteed to be first in line for their own store - one could say that that is a positive move towards their retailers.

So by all means, order from your favourite retailer if that is easier/cheaper. 

Apart from that, duty/customs is required by law so I don't quite see why you expect AFX to try and dodge that.

The oddity is some retailers saying they have it (Spitfire Vc 1/72) and others not, now weeks apart.  As a modelling marketing person - Airfix would sell more kits retail overseas (not just in Europe) if they had a surface shipping option or even regular air mail post.  If all retailers (at least in the UK) had the some product at the same time - the price field would be more level.   I have seen an Airfix 1/24 Hellcat with a 'do not sell before' date sticker on it in North America.  So shipping to wholesalers/retailers has been done in advance in the past.  Greed is still rampant in this world, covid or not.  Covid has been around long enough for marketing people to take delays into consideration by now.

PM

I think the point about paying charges for the use of agents is a reminder that the UK, and presumably other nations too, do not demand VAT or any other dues on objects of small value - currently £15, I believe, including post and packaging.  Although whether you could get a Spitfire Mk.Vc at below £15 with those conditions seems unlikely.

45 minutes ago, Patrick Martin said:

The oddity is some retailers saying they have it (Spitfire Vc 1/72) and others not, now weeks apart. 

How to spot if that's true or not: 

Build threads, and 'look what I've got' reviews.

About that: haven't spotted any 'new Airfix Mk.Vc' unboxing reviews on YT channels yet. 

As a modelling marketing person - Airfix would sell more kits retail overseas (not just in Europe) if they had a surface shipping option or even regular air mail post.

Through their own online outlet: probably. Airfix online store have surface shipping. Courier, as regular post is restricted by size and weight. Same goes for air mail.

But again, I think it's a good thing they don't act like say, Kinetic or KH. 

Try getting one of those in the UK from a normal retail store.  You'll get the new Harrier GR.1/3 faster by buying straight from Luckymodel.

If all retailers (at least in the UK) had the some product at the same time - the price field would be more level.  

That would require Marxist levels of organisation :P 

btw, since I mentioned Kinetic: have a look at this post.

Greed is still rampant in this world, covid or not.  Covid has been around long enough for marketing people to take delays into consideration by now.

That answers the previous question, doesn't it?

Logistics people and sales & marketing people don't mix. Never have. 
--

Some people say I'm a bit cynical. Maybe, I guess... or a bit more realistic. 

30 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I think the point about paying charges for the use of agents is a reminder that the UK, and presumably other nations too, do not demand VAT or any other dues on objects of small value - currently £15, I believe, including post and packaging.  

That exemption ends on 1 January 2021 for the UK, by the way

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021

Edited by Work In Progress

3 hours ago, alt-92 said:

How to spot if that's true or not: 

Build threads, and 'look what I've got' reviews.

About that: haven't spotted any 'new Airfix Mk.Vc' unboxing reviews on YT channels yet. 

Through their own online outlet: probably. Airfix online store have surface shipping. Courier, as regular post is restricted by size and weight. Same goes for air mail.

But again, I think it's a good thing they don't act like say, Kinetic or KH. 

Try getting one of those in the UK from a normal retail store.  You'll get the new Harrier GR.1/3 faster by buying straight from Luckymodel.

That would require Marxist levels of organisation :P 

btw, since I mentioned Kinetic: have a look at this post.

That answers the previous question, doesn't it?

Logistics people and sales & marketing people don't mix. Never have. 
--

Some people say I'm a bit cynical. Maybe, I guess... or a bit more realistic. 

There is a Airfix Mk Vc unboxing vid on this thread back on page 16

But not from the 'regular' reviewers online. Not to sell that channel short, but the likes of AHS, Flory, Champion,  and Brett/Hyperscale tend to have larger followings.

8 hours ago, alt-92 said:

But not from the 'regular' reviewers online. Not to sell that channel short, but the likes of AHS, Flory, Champion,  and Brett/Hyperscale tend to have larger followings.

There are 2 on YouTube tonight

Do your German and Italian sources actually have it in stock? They could just be building up pre-orders without telling their customers, in the hope that they can get the quantity they need to fill those pre-orders before the customers get tired of waiting and cancel.

John