1/72 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vc by Airfix - released

Homebee

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

Some aircraft had a pipe from the rear for cockpit heating, so an entrance at the front would make sense and is seen on other types.

On further examination, I've found photos of exhaust with the front bit.

The oil cooler lip was correct for, I think, tropical aircraft [...]

If that's correct it would make sense as the instructions tell you to use the one with the lip.

I presume the clipped wing is the official one rather than the slightly more rounded one seen out of the Alexandria MU?

I think so.

Only one elevator style?

As far as I can tell, yes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Some aircraft had a pipe from the rear for cockpit heating, so an entrance at the front would make sense and is seen on other types.

It's the gun heating for the browning machine guns Graham. The heating air entered a tube at the front of the exhaust stacks, passed through them and turned inboard into the engine bay, then aft and down the front of the firewall, out into the leading edge and outboard to the brownings. The cannon were heated from the radiator as per the 8 mg's of the A wing, but heating was insufficient to cope with the cannon and the 4 mg's in the B and C wing on the Mk V hence the use of exhaust heating for some of the guns. With the extra radiators fitted on the VIII & IX the heating reverted to hot air from the radiator outlet and exhaust gun heating was deleted

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My son's pre-order turned up this morning. Some quick photos:

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-23 at 13.10.48

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-23 at 17.21.36

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-23 at 17.22.52

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-23 at 17.27.12

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-23 at 19.11.06

Curious about the recommendation for Humbrol 89 for Azure Blue, when they have the excellent new formula 157. 89 is far too green, in my experience.

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, John said:

Curious about the recommendation for Humbrol 89 for Azure Blue, when they have the excellent new formula 157. 89 is far too green, in my experience.

John

I think they have dropped 157 from the range and feel that 89 is the nearest humbrol  match now. I agree the new formula 157 was pretty good

The heating pipe for the MGs is very visible on some aircraft and Sword included this detail in their Vc kit. The same pipe however was in some cases removed.

11 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Hmmmz.. 

That runner layout for the standard wings would allow for an eventual other Mk.V variant. 

I'm not so positive: the fuselage halves are on the same sprue as the upper wing halves, meaning that unless they are using gated sprue channels, they would have to tool a new fuselage as well. Then there's the gun barrel fairings that are in the sprue with all other detail parts, would have made sense to have them with the wings if they were planning other variants. Same for the Seafires, there's no way they can get a III out of these sprues, they would have to tool a totally new wing and fuselage and add another few parts. A Seafire II is easier but again I can't see any indication of this as a future option based on the sprue layout. At least it's an easy enough conversion

I'm afraid that at most we'll see a rebox with markings for clipped wing aircraft, any other subvariant would require a separate mould.

8 hours ago, 112 Squadron said:

Well, I think it is a sure bet that we will see another boxing from Airfix with decals for a clipped wing Dark Green/Ocean Grey Spitfire Vc in the near future.

It's a sure bet that they will release an Aussie scheme, and a sure bet they will release a SEAC scheme... Anyone of these is a licence to print money!

Maybe.  Don't wait up, or bet your pension on it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

I'm not so positive: the fuselage halves are on the same sprue as the upper wing halves

Only the clipped ones.

[added]

So let's say a Vb. Not right away, but say in 2-3 years time?

The bottom and top wing (even if it's full span uppers now)  are on the same runner.

Which allows for changing the uc rake angle for which the CAD drawings are available already, and wider fairings on the uppers. Maybe even reinforcement strips.  Clear parts are also already there designwise.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Only the clipped ones.

[added]

So let's say a Vb. Not right away, but say in 2-3 years time?

The bottom ahe ruers show that all the nd top wing (even if it's full span uppers now)  are on the same runner.

Which allows for changing the uc rake angle for which the CAD drawings are available already, and wider fairings on the uppers. Maybe even reinforcement strips.  Clear parts are also already there designwise.

Flat vs bulged wheel doors?

I've no doubt that Airfix can do whatever they want, but do the runners show that all the required changes are there, or will need only minor changes to a single runner?

57 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Flat vs bulged wheel doors?

I've no doubt that Airfix can do whatever they want, but do the runners show that all the required changes are there, or will need only minor changes to a single runner?

Unfortunately the doors seem to be flat in the kit, even if they were builged on the Vc,

53 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Unfortunately the doors seem to be flat in the kit, even if they were builged on the Vc,

A bit of filler suitably sanded will sort that out. 

I’m planning how many I need.......

Trevor

Just now, Max Headroom said:

A bit of filler suitably sanded will sort that out. 

I’m planning how many I need.......

Trevor

No doubt, although personally I hate having to do the same job on two parts as I rarely manage to get them perfectly symmetrical, The depth of the bulge would also benefit from using layers of plasticard rather than filler, will make it easier to build up and sand. Of course personally I also have a number of spares from the Eduard IX/VIII kits so I'll be sorted anyway

It is a small detail but is however a sign of not having looked at the subject with the proper care. Not that Airfix is alone here as many others have completely forgotten about the bulged doors on the C wing Spitfires...

• Like 2

On 11/23/2020 at 9:32 PM, John said:

John

Any sign of an Aboukir filter on the sprues?

I'm not normally one for knocking kits which I have neither bought nor built but both those spinners look quite odd to me.  Too long and pointy ans too short ans stubby.  Could just be the angle of the dangle of course.

• Like 1