1/72 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vc by Airfix - released

Homebee

7 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Partly. The rather softer plastic Airfix's supplier uses isn't really conducive to fine details however, and I suspect the mould creation process takes that into account (otherwise we'd have seen Eduard-like details already - not saying they're perfect but at least a lot finer)

Hi alt92,

That certainly sounds plausible.  Might another contributing factor be the price point aimed for by a UK based company*.

*I know that most Airfix products are not UK manufactured.

• 5 months later...

I like the artwork.  And a US marked Spit in desert colours - and with a sharkmouth - would look different in my Spitfire line up.

I wonder if the aftermarket will supply us with the extras to do a Seafire LIIC?  I'm sure I'd have most of the bits in the spares box already except the hook*.

Rgds

Martin

*Strengthening plates from dymo-tape.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mike romeo said:

I like the artwork.  And a US marked Spit in desert colours - and with a sharkmouth - would look different in my Spitfire line up.

I wonder if the aftermarket will supply us with the extras to do a Seafire LIIC?  I'm sure I'd have most of the bits in the spares box already except the hook*.

Rgds

Martin

*Strengthening plates from dymo-tape.

The hook is actually not that hard to scratchbuild, I did it in the past for a Seafire III I built from an Italeri IX. It's the beauty of the "A frame" Seafire hook, all it takes is some scribing and a bit of plastic. At least as long as it's reproduced not extended.

• Thanks 1

Very striking artwork. Reminds me of the big Typhoon. 

No Spit should have a sharkmouth, of course, but it certainly looks different! I'm looking forward to this one.

Just a small point ,But now Airfix are issing a new tool kit with two sets of desert scheme markings , will they be reintroducing the new formula  Humbrol157 azure blue? or are they expecting people to source an alternative?. Seems a tad daft that someone new to the hobby wont be able to paint the kit in the correct colours because Humbrol have discontinued one of the colours.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cherisy said:

Just a small point ,But now Airfix are issing a new tool kit with two sets of desert scheme markings , will they be reintroducing the new formula  Humbrol157 azure blue? or are they expecting people to source an alternative?

I wonder what the most accurate azure blue paint is . . . ? 🤔

I'll get me 🧥.

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’d say a few Spitfire enthusiasts down under might beg to differ!! 

Actually, that one does look quite good! It helps having a decent painter & decorator, and no Vokes filter...

On 9/12/2020 at 8:35 AM, Max Headroom said:

I’m in for a few.....

Trevor

Me too. I've just ordered the Xtradecal sheet as it has a couple of Malta-based Spits, including Screwball Beurling's.

They're both dark blue, so choosing the right paint should be easy.....

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, IanC said:

Me too. I've just ordered the Xtradecal sheet as it has a couple of Malta-based Spits, including Screwball Beurling's.

They're both dark blue, so choosing the right paint should be easy.....

I have just received my Xtradecal sheet, 15 Spit. that's what I need or more if Airfix' s is good !

Alain

1 hour ago, Dave Fleming said:

Does the Xtradecal sheet indicate which aircraft had the broad cannon cover blister or if any had the narrow (as the kit only has the broad one)?

Only the big ones on the Xtradecal sheet

Alain

Having looked at the Xtradecal options in more detail, I'm attracted to the Hellenic and Italian Co-Belligerent Air Force options.

Might be a way of avoiding the Malta Blues...  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IanC said:

Having looked at the Xtradecal options in more detail, I'm attracted to the Hellenic and Italian Co-Belligerent Air Force options.

Might be a way of avoiding the Malta Blues...  

Malta Blues aren't the only controversial subject around, the Italian Spitfires have also been source for much discussion and Xtradecals has chosen a pretty unusual aircraft...

20-4 as reproduced in their sheet was likely repainted after the war therefore does not carry any of the standard RAF schemes. It is possible that the colours were indeed green and brown but we don't know if they were RAF colours or Italian ones. The lower surfaces are also unusual as they are very dark in the picture. Could be a sign of Light Mediterranean blue being used or of something else.

While this colour scheme sure is eye-catching, it would have maybe been safer to go for one of those Vc that were the subject of a colour film shot during the war, film that showed aircraft in Day Fighter Scheme, although with the green and grey revesred in position. At least the colours of those aircraft are known. It is likely that all Italian Spitfire V during the Cobelligerance years served in DFS

Edited by Giorgio N

10 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

There is of course always the possibility that someone new to the hobby won't be bothered over much about "correct " colours.They will either go by the instructions or,use what they have to hand.? In my days as a newbie, green was green,brown was brown and,blue was blue!!Lol!. Mind you, I havent changed much........!

John

Very true And encouraging  newbies to the hobby is always a good thing if its to survive. It just seems daft to have colour call outs for paints that have been discontinued.  Unless of course they will be reintroduced ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

They’ve gone for Humbrol 89 as approx match for Azure Blue! 

Which isn't available as a Humbrol acrylic.

Hasn't stopped me ordering a couple though...

IanJ 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

According to the latest edition of ‘Workbench’ they’ve gone for Humbrol 89 as approx match for Azure Blue! I’ll leave it at I think!! 
Cheers.. Dave 

Its such a shame. Airfix go to amazing lengths to bring us an accurate well tooled kit only to spoil it by not having the correct paint colour and suggesting a match that isnt close. Still that said , I,ll be getting a couple as I have a tin of the new formula 157 stashed away.

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

According to the latest edition of ‘Workbench’ they’ve gone for Humbrol 89 as approx match for Azure Blue! I’ll leave it at I think!! 
Cheers.. Dave 

To be fair, I’ve used HU89 as an option for azure blue (probably closer than anything I e tried to mix) and it’s turned out ok, I have an old enamel tin. Still a better call out than their new Azure blue.

very much looking forward to this coming out, should be a fun little kit. Also have the Beaufort on pre order.

Rob