1/72 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vc by Airfix - released

Homebee

4 hours ago, IanC said:

Perhaps, but I have just had a look at my Airfix Spits. On the first one I gave it a panel line wash (not sure why now..) and on the other three I didn't. They almost look like different kits. Without the wash the effect is far more refined - at least from a normal viewing distance.  On a dark, autumnal afternoon...

For me anyway, it's not too bad.

I didn’t mean that, I’m still buying them :)

4 hours ago, IanC said:

Perhaps, but I have just had a look at my Airfix Spits. On the first one I gave it a panel line wash (not sure why now..) and on the other three I didn't. They almost look like different kits. Without the wash the effect is far more refined - at least from a normal viewing distance.  On a dark, autumnal afternoon...

For me anyway, it's not too bad.

I didn’t mean that, I’m still buying them :)

On 17/10/2020 at 10:33, MACALAIN said:

If you can wait a few years (3 to 5), Eduard will produce a brand new range of Spitfire Mk I to V, first in 1/48 and in 1/72 afther... 

ALAIN

Eduard's "72nd Revolution" has somewhat stalled as of late. The Early Fw 190s and Bf 109s are still noticeably absent from their line-up despite their larger cousins being in rude health. Which is a shame for all us 72nd-ers looking for top quality models (though Tamiya beat Eduard to the punch with their 1/72 Bf 109G-6).

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Andy G said:

Some of us quite appreciate having a pilot

It's a fair point. But that one doesn't look particularly healthy - his head appears a bit undersized. I can't understand why they've never made more effort with the aircrew. A decently proportioned figure sculpted with his head to one side for a change, and maybe arm resting on the cockpit sill would look great.   

• Like 1

Speaking of which, imagine if you could buy a box full of well painted and well sculpted aircrew straight OOB... I’m naff at figure painting, however would consider adding some crew to a few models if I knew they looked the part. 
Cheers.. Dave (who apologises for thread drift). 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Speaking of which, imagine if you could buy a box full of well painted and well sculpted aircrew straight OOB... I’m naff at figure painting, however would consider adding some crew to a few models if I knew they looked the part. 
Cheers.. Dave (who apologises for thread drift). 

Getting well sculpted aircrew figures would be a good start :( Fed up with the 72nd scale Airfix figures being under-sized, generic, and uninvolved but at least they do provide something unlike many other companies now.

• Like 2

On 10/16/2020 at 11:21 PM, Giorgio N said:

Agree, it was one of the first things I noticed. The modeller who built these kits took the idea of a wash in the panel lines a bit too far... and this comes from a modeller who routinely uses this technique ! IMHO a wash can be very effective but must be subtle... and black is forbidden except for control surfaces and a few other exceptions.

It's here not only a matter of "taste", using a black wash can suggest the presence of very coarse panel lines, something for which Airfix has been criticised in the past. Not the best way to promote the product IMHO.

P.S. I see that the wheel well covers are flat in the production kit too... oh well, I should have enough Eduard spare parts for these...

Fully agree. Airfix appears to have made a conscious decision to go with these wide-style panel lines for their new toolings. That is their choice. However as a modeller I think you need to take that into account and running half a gallon of black paint into them is not the way to do it.

On 22/10/2020 at 14:36, sroubos said:

Fully agree. Airfix appears to have made a conscious decision to go with these wide-style panel lines for their new toolings. That is their choice. However as a modeller I think you need to take that into account and running half a gallon of black paint into them is not the way to do it.

I've frequently heard it has something to do with a directive from up-high that they should still be visible after lots of unthinned paint is sloshed on with a paint brush. Which is a shame for those of us with a more finer approach but I've found globbing a load of Mr Surfacer 1000 in the panel lines and cleaning the excess with an IPA-soaked cotton bud before priming does seem to give an acceptable finish. Also, as you said using dark washes is also a fad best left to the Tamigawa panel lines of the world and not Airfix (or for that matter Revell/Italeri) else you get a diecast-look.

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vc by Airfix - 3D renders+sprues+schemes+box art - release Autumn 2020
  • 4 weeks later...

Just had an e-mail from Airfix informing me that the kits have arrived at the warehouse, then another one telling me they've taken my money for them as well 🙂

IanJ

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

For those lucky enough to be getting this kit early, may I please request some early sprue shots and an honest assessment of the kits quality in comparison to Airfix’s new tooled (2011) Mk.1 kit. 
Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

• Like 2

Well, my seven (I'm sure I only ordered six, oh well) have just been delivered.

A few thoughts:

1) It looks pretty good on the sprue, the moulding is a little chunky in places but much better than the Mk1 (not as nice as the 22 though).

2) the designer appears to have been influenced by Eduard as the cockpit sidewalls make a subassembly which is sandwiched between the fuselage halves and you have to trim a bit off to have a closed canopy.

3) the method of attaching the cannon is novel but it means that it'll be tricky to model one of the Malta planes that had the inner cannon removed. Also, only wide cannon bulges.

4) There are two oil coolers, one has a lip at the rear. I need to check my references but I don't recall seeing this before.

5) Both the exhaust types have what looks like an inlet at the front. Again, I don't recall seeing this before.

6) There are two types of upper wing, one clipped and one full-span. I think Airfix have missed a trick there not to have the two types of cannon bulge.

7) The painting guide suggests using 89 for the undersides but also mentions (the discontinued) 157.

I'll be starting one as soon as I've finished the KP VC I'm doing at the moment.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Beard said:

Well, my seven (I'm sure I only ordered six, oh well) have just been delivered.

A few thoughts:

1) It looks pretty good on the sprue, the moulding is a little chunky in places but much better than the Mk1 (not as nice as the 22 though).

2) the designer appears to have been influenced by Eduard as the cockpit sidewalls make a subassembly which is sandwiched between the fuselage halves and you have to trim a bit off to have a closed canopy.

3) the method of attaching the cannon is novel but it means that it'll be tricky to model one of the Malta planes that had the inner cannon removed. Also, only wide cannon bulges.

4) There are two oil coolers, one has a lip at the rear. I need to check my references but I don't recall seeing this before.

5) Both the exhaust types have what looks like an inlet at the front. Again, I don't recall seeing this before.

6) There are two types of upper wing, one clipped and one full-span. I think Airfix have missed a trick there not to have the two types of cannon bulge.

7) The painting guide suggests using 89 for the undersides but also mentions (the discontinued) 157.

I'll be starting one as soon as I've finished the KP VC I'm doing at the moment.

Hello, I have a question about the (short) spinner for the De Haviland propeller, is it all right or too round?

Best regard

Alain

Some aircraft had a pipe from the rear for cockpit heating, so an entrance at the front would make sense and is seen on other types.

The oil cooler lip was correct for, I think, tropical aircraft, and this was discussed fairly recently on this board in one of the postings dedicated to Spitfires: good luck in finding it.  Maybe even this one.

I presume the clipped wing is the official one rather than the slightly more rounded one seen out of the Alexandria MU?

Only one elevator style?  Like the slim cannon bulge, only for late aircraft but adds an option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MACALAIN said:

Hello, I have a question about the (short) spinner for the De Haviland propeller, is it all right or too round?

Best regard

Alain

It's hard to tell with comparing it to a side-on photo. If I get round to doing it, I'll let you know.

• Thanks 1