1/72 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vc by Airfix - released

Homebee

At the risk of being accused of nitpicking, I hope the do something about the open cockpit. My guess is the 3D render is based on their usual clear plastic thickness, but it does make the canopy look very toy like. The rest does not look too bad. 

• Like 2

Curiously no rear view mirror, but it's still 'early days'.

I hope they show us the sprues ahead of release, showing alternative parts such as exhausts, Aboukier  filter, overwing bulges and whether the sprue for the wings allows for a later Vb.

19 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

What can we moan about now?!

Yes, I’ll be getting some!

Trevor

(still waiting for a Balliol)

No 1/72nd scale Hunter/Vampire/Venom/Sea Vixen/ what ever floats your boat (where the emojis?)

Thanks Botan for posting the profiles.  I've tried following up on Airfix's website which is presumably where you found them, and I think Thanet must still be on platted grass Broadband which times out to the extent that nobody would have a hope of Pre-Ordering.

Interesting to see that there are two Propeller/Spinner options, though - at least for the profiles shown - no Aboukier filter.  Will be interesting to see if US/South Africa are offered only RAF markings.

Very curious to know if sprues allow b wing to be substituted.

1 hour ago, Phas3e said:

Can we moan about the schemes not being Malta or CBI?

btw I'm not actually moaning, I'll be in for a couple of these.

Maybe. I’m surprised both are Middle Eastern options for the first release.

However, I can see an Australian option in the second release, with maybe a home based option too.

Trevor

Note that the kit has the initial wide cannon blister, which would be a useful addition to several Mk.VIII/IX kits too, but something to watch for when you are choosing your option.  Two spinner options plus open radiator door - looks very promising.  Just as long as that awful canopy is only an option, but aftermarket alternatives do exist anyway.

Airfix has the habit of making the slidiung sections of the canpies too big, I hope they at least offer a closed option with the correct proportions.

I am certain the have all the rest correct.

And two spinner options means I will buy three at least

11 minutes ago, occa said:

Airfix has the habit of making the sliding sections of the canopies too big,

It is impossible not too in an injection-moulded kit of this kind of aircraft.  Arma Hobby Hurricanes come with one closed and an over-sized one for the open.  They just look so wrong - anyone who wants an open canopy can always buy a vacform.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 06/01/2020 at 16:33, Denford said:

I hope they show us the sprues ahead of release, showing alternative parts such as exhausts, Aboukier  filter, overwing bulges and whether the sprue for the wings allows for a later Vb.

As I said on the Beaufort thread, Airfix CAD renders show optional parts in a darker colour

Given the colour scheme illustrations, there will be two types of spinner in the initial release

The exhaust manifolds are shown dark, so there's the posibility of two types for these.

The Vokes filter unit is shown dark, so possibility of standard and/or Aboukir filters and standard and/or large oil tank & undernose fairing

The canon barrels appear to be darker, so possibly a 4 canon fit?

Significantly the whole wing is shown light, so I'd not expect any alternate overwing bulges or a Vb from this tooling.

Given the limited number of options, the small size of same, the inclusion of both types of spinner in this release and the series 2 price tag, I'd hope that all options are in the box, with only alternate decals in subsequent releases

• Like 1

Eeugh!  Sharkmouths belong on 112 Sqaudron Tomahawks and Kittyhawks, not on Spitfires..  I quite fancy the SAAF option though.  There is some great footage somewhere of this aircraft and its squadron mates armed with 250Ib bombs formating on a camera ship.  Definitely up for a few of these as I'd like to build Rhodesian pilot Johhny Plagis' 249 Squadron aircraft 'Kay', operating from Malta.  Plenty of Desert Air Force options too and I'd like a Darwin defender, maybe Caldwell's personalised aircraft.  I wonder if the tooling will allow for a future Aboukir filter version.

Edited by Meatbox8
More waffle
  • Like 1