1/72 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vc by Airfix - released

Homebee

1 hour ago, Andre B said:

Hi,

Yes one can say so. Albeit the eduard IXe is an impressive kit with many spare parts it isn't comparable in price with the Airfix Mk. Ia for most of the time. And I can get the Airfix kit in the local shop almost when ever I want. I had to order the eduard kit and at least wait for more than a half week to get it...

I would happily build airfix spitfires all day long! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Andre B said:

I had to order the eduard kit and at least wait for more than a half week to get it...

I'd say a typical first world problem. 
(takes all the eager anticipation out of it as well...)

Edited by alt-92
double quote

Thank you Botan for posting the HH and more particularly Airfix Trade Show details on the previous page.  For space reasons I won't (directly) link to it - BUT - it is clear that Airfix are diversifying into cars 'easy build' kits and the like.  At Telford they were evaluating support the RN's two latest Carriers.

Commendable in that it brings in 'new blood' (no pun intended) to the hobby, but this can only be at the expense of the Aircraft kits, hitherto their staple and the lifeblood of Britmodeller.

So unless Airfix were to increase their headcount (unlikely I feel, at least in the short term) then we must expect the 2020 new aircraft releases - a mere 4 subjects - to become the norm.  On this basis a single 1/24th subject would about consume the whole year's output!

As a dedicated aircraft modeller, I'm a bit ambivalent.  Sorry that new aircraft releases will be down but would be sorry, much more sorry, if the bank were to foreclose on Hornby Hobbies.

As we said at school before meals 'For what we are about to receive, may the Lord make us truly thankful'.  I hope their Spitfire Vc is the Vc to end all other Vc's and so prove an ongoing demand for their aircraft kits.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, MACALAIN said:

Like I say in my first post, the short spinner look not pointed enough for me

Macalain 

I see a Rotol propeller and spinner and a DeHavilland propeller and spinner, two separate parts for different fits of different standards of Vc.

47 minutes ago, Wez said:

I see a Rotol propeller and spinner and a DeHavilland propeller and spinner, two separate parts for different fits of different standards of Vc.

https://shortfinals.org/2010/12/07/well-at-least-the-yankees-have-their-captain-back/

the DeHaviland short spinner is too round  on the 3 D render, not pointed enough (see picture)

Rotol with wooden blades and longer spinner feel all right

4 hours ago, Bedders said:

As with their 1/72 Mk I, there's no evidence in the renders that Airfix plans to replicate this intake on the cowling:

08d9d50a-209c-4b74-98bd-887f0232422b.jpg

Let's hope they fix it.

Justin

I had contact Airfix to tell them.

do the same

Alain

1 hour ago, Ratch said:

Oh my God - the kit will be unbuildable!

I know, the whole thing is ruined!

As far as the spinner goes, I can't see the problem with it, rather than castigate the kit based on design renders, I'll wait and see what it's like when it comes out, if it's really that off I'm sure we'll pretty swiftly get a resin replacement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ratch said:

Oh my God - the kit will be unbuildable!

Not unbuildable, but not accurate if you want to make more than 10 Malta Spitfire, and perhaps more Australian ones like I would like to do.

Only Sword have made a correct spinner,(already build more than 100 but difficult to find now) KP have made the same mistake, 

1 hour ago, Wez said:

I know, the whole thing is ruined!

As far as the spinner goes, I can't see the problem with it, rather than castigate the kit based on design renders, I'll wait and see what it's like when it comes out, if it's really that off I'm sure we'll pretty swiftly get a resin replacement.

NO. Why wait.

Airfix  do read BM BTW, and do ask for help, and will take on board issues raised

Far better to critique CAD renders, than say nothing, and then moan when done, and have to then spend about a third of the cost of the kit on a replacement.

The Rotol unit looked good, the DH unit look off, the thing I saw was the backplate, but I think this is too curved as well.

r_4.jpg

I presume the spinner being shown is this, which is the one I associate as the classic Vc DH unit

30644644757_b090025b20_b.jpg&key=5e96aa6

perhaps clearer here

30644645027_248e6b349f_b.jpg&key=5052aed

from https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235045569-148th-sh-spitfire-mkvc-85-sqn-raaf-pearce-w-australia-1945/

15074951115_6bc4370cbb_h.jpgRCAF Spitfire V     1943. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

there is also this slightly different unit used on the Vb, 

8520995808_c0f82a9635_h.jpgWell-worn Spitfire V,        1945. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

There appear to be maybe 3 types of DH Unit used on the Vc as well.   

this does not look like either of the units above

Spitfire_Mk_Vc_trop_A58_236_QY_G_Junior_

note spinner shape, and compare blade shape

30644644827_d1c001d2a0_b.jpg&key=b3bebc1

So, unsurprising that spinners are an area of both confusion and debate!  

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

NO. Why wait.

Airfix  do read BM BTW, and do ask for help, and will take on board issues raised

Far better to critique CAD renders, than say nothing, and then moan when done, and have to then spend about a third of the cost of the kit on a replacement.

The Rotol unit looked good, the DH unit look off, the thing I saw was the backplate, but I think this is too curved as well.

Troy,

You make a fair point as always.

Looking at the evidence you've presented (I was thinking of asking about just this subject on the All the Spitfire Questions... thread) , I'm still not convinced that the Airfix render is entirely wrong as there appear to be a multitude of DH spinner shapes.

So when somebody makes a statement the the kit's DH spinner is off, I'm now inclined to ask "compared to which version of the DH spinner"?

Presumably Airfix has based this representation on some data, they've obviously managed to capture it correctly for the Rotol unit so how can they be so off for the DH unit?  Have they fallen into the trap of trying to resolve all three shapes into one?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MACALAIN said:

Not unbuildable, but not accurate if you want to make more than 10 Malta Spitfire, and perhaps more Australian ones like I would like to do.

Only Sword have made a correct spinner,(already build more than 100 but difficult to find now) KP have made the same mistake, 

You've built more than 100 Sword Spitfires?! That's heroic! You have my fullest admiration - how did you find the time? I can hardly manage one!

This is a great thread with lots of good information even if it's not about anything Yakovlev-designed. In spite of some minor criticisms, the new kit looks like it will be very good - I can see myself buying a couple of them. Maybe Airfix will consider a 1/72 Mk XIV next?

John

• Like 2

I am right with you, I hope you are right with me, and you have the same felling of me (sorry if I made some language mistake

I am french speaking Belgian !

I have just mail my opinion with a picture to Airfix. I hope to have some members to do the same. In my case, I would like to build at least 30 more Spit

If I'll use extra resin parts, it will cost some money

Alain 

Edited by Mike
Removing unnecessary large photo quote

15 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

You've built more than 100 Sword Spitfires?! That's heroic! You have my fullest admiration - how did you find the time? I can hardly manage one!

This is a great thread with lots of good information even if it's not about anything Yakovlev-designed. In spite of some minor criticisms, the new kit looks like it will be very good - I can see myself buying a couple of them. Maybe Airfix will consider a 1/72 Mk XIV next?

John

I have more than 2960 models made, most in 1/72. I'll made models till my 9 YO(now 57 and retired from the Air Force) and all are in glassed case, with evolution of plastic kits. I was VIP driver, and with always a model with me, building during conference or so of my boss, my collegue where sometime boring, me, never.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Troy,

You make a fair point as always.

Looking at the evidence you've presented (I was thinking of asking about just this subject on the All the Spitfire Questions... thread) , I'm still not convinced that the Airfix render is entirely wrong as there appear to be a multitude of DH spinner shapes.

So when somebody makes a statement the the kit's DH spinner is off, I'm now inclined to ask "compared to which version of the DH spinner"?

Presumably Airfix has based this representation on some data, they've obviously managed to capture it correctly for the Rotol unit so how can they be so off for the DH unit?  Have they fallen into the trap of trying to resolve all three shapes into one?

For myself, I would like to have the good DH spinner for Malta planes, the first batch(15 AC) arrived are perhaps more round but the others???

2 minutes ago, MACALAIN said:

For myself, I would like to have the good DH spinner for Malta planes, the first batch(15 AC) arrived are perhaps more round but the others???

So which of the three varieties is that then?

7 minutes ago, Wez said:

So which of the three varieties is that then?

The best way for Airfix is to put all in the box, and everybody chose what they want. It is certainly not a lot of cost for them, and everybody is happy

4 minutes ago, MACALAIN said:

The best way for Airfix is to put all in the box, and everybody chose what they want. It is certainly not a lot of cost for them, and everybody is happy

So have you alerted them to all of the variabilities in DH spinner shape?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MACALAIN said:

I have more than 2960 models made, most in 1/72. I'll made models till my 9 YO(now 57 and retired from the Air Force) and all are in glassed case, with evolution of plastic kits.

Wow. That's an average of more than one a week for the last 48 years !!

And you still have them all? I'd love to see your collection..

10 minutes ago, IanC said:

Wow. That's an average of more than one a week for the last 48 years !!

And you still have them all? I'd love to see your collection..

well yes, one a week, and nos till I am retired, 2 a week. I am working like Ford factory on the chain, most of the time 9 on building, 9 on paint shop, and 9 waiting decals and finitions. I am also IPMS Belgian section member and visit Telford every years. For now, I have some difficulties to post pictures on the site, I am a newbie at Britmodelers