1/72 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vc by Airfix - released

Homebee

18 minutes ago, Wez said:

So have you alerted them to all of the variabilities in DH spinner shape?

Not all, but if you can do that ?

Just say that they have to control before production

5 minutes ago, MACALAIN said:

well yes, one a week, and nos till I am retired, 2 a week. I am working like Ford factory on the chain, most of the time 9 on building, 9 on paint shop, and 9 waiting decals and finitions. I am also IPMS Belgian section member and visit Telford every years. For now, I have some difficulties to post pictures on the site, I am a newbie at Britmodelers

Follow this link, it may provide the answers you need to share your collection with us.

The current Workbench is quite revealing.

- There are hints that the wingtips will be removable, and presumably clear fairings provided.

- Not sure about the little slots in the seat.  No doubt to ensure the pilot sits square and upright, but would have to be filled in if unmanned.

- Curiously no rear view mirror, but it's early days yet.

- So long as there are a variety of propellers, there need only be one, single, oversized spinner and the modellers can fashion from it whatever they think is correct....  not that one in a thousand would know about the differences between the different units.

I have the feeling that this will be the Vc to end all Vc's.  For Airfix, just keep those Workbenches coming to show us, as we wait, how things are developing

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MACALAIN said:

Not all, but if you can do that ?

Just say that they have to control before production

But I'm not the one that's that bothered by it, you're the one who is, you can contact them here.

Remember, a picture paints a thousand words so some pictorial evidence is likely to yield results.

• Like 3

So how many spinners do Sword provide in their kit, you must have plenty of spares? From the photos that Troy provided, there appears to be about three different DH spinners and one Rotol one, I doubt any manufacturer would provide four slightly different spinners in one kit. If you’re gonna build a zillion more Spitfires, perhaps cut it down to just a million and invest the ‘saved’ time moulding a set of new improved spinners. You could even sell them to other modellers to help top up your retirement fund. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

So how many spinners do Sword provide in their kit, you must have plenty of spares? From the photos that Troy provided, there appears to be about three different DH spinners and one Rotol one, I doubt any manufacturer would provide four slightly different spinners in one kit. If you’re gonna build a zillion more Spitfires, perhaps cut it down to just a million and invest the ‘saved’ time moulding a set of new improved spinners. You could even sell them to other modellers to help top up your retirement fund. 

Cheers.. Dave 

You have one Rotol and one DH, in Sword kit, the one that I like. I have plenty of Rotol, but no more DH. I use also the Rotol ones for the KP Mk Vb kit, I don't like there propellers

17 hours ago, MACALAIN said:

You have one Rotol and one DH, in Sword kit, the one that I like. I have plenty of Rotol, but no more DH.

So what you're saying is

1) get a Sword V kit, pinch the DH spinner

2) Use it as a master for a resin mould

3) ...

4) profit?

Or alternatively, send it (or a copy) to Airfix so they can decide whether it is worth it to re-adjust the moulds (again) to add this one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alt-92 said:

So what you're saying is

1) get a Sword V kit, pinch the DH spinner

2) Use it as a master for a resin mould

3) ...

4) profit?

Or alternatively, send it (or a copy) to Airfix so they can decide whether it is worth it to re-adjust the moulds (again) to add this one.

I have said to Airfix to use the DH spinner of there Mk I how is not to bad for the Mk Vc 

Sword kit are difficult to find now on a decent price

As there were at least two types of de Havilland props used on Spitfires Mk.Vc (at least I've seen two - the one also used on Mk.I and the other, Hydromatic I think, used on Spits Vc in MTO and Australia (yet thre might have been more types) I really doubt Airfix will do anything with it. I would require designing new parts. 

On the other hand, the pilot seat also looks strange. The cannon barels installation looks unusual.  And generally parts look a bit thick.  

One more thing - I wonder what's their idea for undercarriage installation. I only hope it won't be as weird as in 48th Spits I and V.

The Hydromatic prop meant a different design of hub, but AFAIK did not require differently shaped blades or spinner.  However I recall noting a rather longer spinner (similar to the Rotol "bullet") with a narrow root (i.e. DH) prop, so perhaps there is more to it.   I would certainly not be surprised if there were differences in detail shape throughout the production of the DH 3-blader, but I don't think that I've seen such described.

The Hydromatic was also adopted for later deliveries to Malta, when some doubt was expressed about the take-off distance available on HMS Furious.  The additional pitch range available with this type gave a shorter take-off run.

• Like 3

I  like this (often wondered why modellmakers don't make it that way concerning props)...

"In addition to this, he has also tried to incorporate something a little different with regard to the way the propeller and spinner are attached to the fuselage during the build process. Clearly something which has bothered him as a modeller when working on his own kit builds of piston powered aircraft in the past, he has designed this feature so that the fuselage section and indeed the entire build can proceed without the propeller needing to be fitted, making everything a little easier to handle and allowing the prop and spinner to be added right at the end, if desired. The challenge here is to make sure this works effectively and results in a freely spinning prop without producing unwanted propeller droop when this important detail is added. It will be really interesting to see how this turns out on the release version of the kit and equally, how it is received by fellow modellers."

/ André 

• Like 2

In addition to being the usual million words where a single image would do, it seems an answer to a question no-one asked. It's crazy to attach props permanently to models at ANY stage. They are much less prone to damage if they come off for transport, dusting or just being disturbed by an accidental knock.  All you need is a prop shaft and a properly-fitting hole to slide it into.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

22 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

Couple of observations

- the little 'flare' at the back of the oil cooler

- all the pics show the large upper wing blister (even on the two cannon option) - did they change to the narrow one on mk VCs?

Yes the early aircraft had the large blisters and then when the outboard cannons were removed they went to the smaller blister. The old 1/72nd Airfix Mk.Vc had the panels separate so you could fit either type, so I guess this one will have the same.

3 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Couple of observations

- the little 'flare' at the back of the oil cooler

Discussed to death here

and here

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

In addition to being the usual million words where a single image would do, it seems an answer to a question no-one asked. It's crazy to attach props permanently to models at ANY stage. They are much less prone to damage if they come off for transport, dusting or just being disturbed by an accidental knock.  All you need is a prop shaft and a properly-fitting hole to slide it into.

The best experience I have is the Tamiya P-51D Mustang in 1/72 with än vinyl tube in the spinner that slides on the rod on the fuselage.

But several older kits has solutions like the Airfix Mk. Vc. For example the Italeri Dornier Do 217 N1...

Cheers / André 

3 hours ago, occa said:

Criticizing scale kits is very serious business as it appears :)

I'm still undecided if we should see it as a distraction from real world issues, or that it's a typical luxury first-world problem ;)

16 hours ago, Andre B said:

I  like this (often wondered why modellmakers don't make it that way concerning props)...

A bit like the prop mount on the 1:72 Hurri Mk.1? Works for me... Really don't like to do the prop when joining fuse halves (kit makers, whyyyyyyyyyyyyy - you know we break stuff when sanding and painting)

Edited by alt-92
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, occa said:

Criticizing scale kits is very serious business as it appears :)

Why shouldn't it? It's about progress and history. Making better kits that actually look like the real aircrafts, boats, cars etc. Look att modeling wooden scale boats like those from kits from the Danish Company "Billing Boats". I don't buy scale kits for toys to play with. For me it is to learn about and saving history and the memory of people involved...

Cheers / André 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ratch said:

Historically, model kits were toys we made ourselves to play with. The hobby has moved on, but that's where it came from. People who criticise the old kits often forget this.

They are toys for 50+YO now. Not a lot of child make kits, and it's perhaps a shame !!!!

PS : I have still my oldfashion models

Alain