1/72 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vc by Airfix - released

Homebee

1 hour ago, DominikS said:

Only this strange oil cooler shape...I can't recollect any photos with such coolers...

You can see it on LZ943/BQ-B here and here and on the second photo here on the Spitfire with the sharkmouth (the one in the current artwork).

It's not a thing I would get my knickers in a twist about, it's easily remedied with a sanding stick if you're that bothered but from a quick Google search it certainly seems to be a feature of tropicalised Mk.V's, as I said previously, probably to increase the venturi effect to help cooling.

There's another photo here, here, here and here (same aircraft as earlier).

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just visible on the underside view, the lower wing 'fits into' the upper as indeed do most Spitfire kits.  Let's hope they include wing tip fairings (perhaps in clear) for those who want to build clipped wing examples.

Also prepare for an onslaught of decals.

1 hour ago, Denford said:

Yes: I can see that.  My point is whether wingtip fairings will be included for those who want to cut off the 'full span' tip which must then be faired off.

And my point is Airfix CAD renders show options in a darker shade. The wingtips are light and part of the whole upper wing, so sorry, no alternate wingtips.

Not that difficult to do yourself from a standard wingtip, couple of cuts with a razor saw, a few swipes with a file and a polish with a sanding stick. Much easier than trying to do a standard wing from a clipped wing.

I listed the likely options in post 22, I can't see any others apart from wishful thinking from various parties.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denford said:

Yes: I can see that.  My point is whether wingtip fairings will be included for those who want to cut off the 'full span' tip which must then be faired off.

It only has to be faired off if you cut it at the disassembly joint. What you should do is cut it off at the end of span you want, and then simply file down the tip to whichever of the various clipped tip profiles is suitable for the individual aircraft you are modelling.  

Looking at the CAD renders on the website it appears that Airfix have decided to mould detail on the instrument panel face and not rely solely on a normally basic decal. If the CAD transfers over to plastic this is a first for them in 1/72 for quite a while. Some of their kits have different levels moulded in, but I cant recall any with actual instrument dials. Hopefully a matching decal with just the dial faces will be provided to lay on top like some other companies do.

• Like 3

Howdy all! Just now saw the announcement for a  new-tool Vc!

First off: it looks like Airfix got the angle of the oil cooler outlet too vertical and the "flare" looks exaggerated- see the linked photos below. The last photo is a Vc.

https://www.quora.com/World-War-2-What-was-that-box-under-the-wing-of-some-Supermarine-Spitfire-models

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/supermarine_spitfire_vb_bm597/images/supermarine_spitfire_vb_bm597_17_of_43.jpg

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/spitfire/images/frouch_spit5_11.jpg

Secondly: This is just my personal opinion, but it seems counterproductive to be moaning  and wishing for a Vb before the Vc has even been released and reviewed; I'm not nearly as rabid and obsessed about Spitfires as many seem to be; (and those of you who are have every reason to be so inclined!) I'm just tickled to death that we seem to be getting a state of the art Mk Vc- a whole lot easier and less expensive than a lot of crosskitting and aftermarket bits!

Thirdly: I think there might be a slight possibility of Airfix doing the Vc as a 1st release, followed up by a Seafire II, as they seem to do the tooling for two variants of each release, but examining how the Vc is engineered should give us  a clue.

Regardless, I hope they sell a ton so they will be inclined to continue giving  us other types long overdue for replacement or have never been released before. Hopefully they can get finer panel lines and scribing on future releases and be truly world class!

Mike

P.S. Gonna hafta get a case of them before @tonyot gets them all! 😜

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

it looks like Airfix got the angle of the oil cooler outlet too vertical and the "flare" looks exaggerated- see the linked photos below. The last photo is a Vc.

Mike,

I linked to this photo earlier but it's worth repeating, this photo shows an exaggerated flare to the oil cooler outlet on this Vc - there is more than one design and as I have said many times already, I suspect this was the type fitted to tropicalised Mk.V's to increase the venturi effect to get more airflow and thus cooling effect through the oil cooler.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Thirdly: I think there might be a slight possibility of Airfix doing the Vc as a 1st release, followed up by a Seafire II, as they seem to do the tooling for two variants of each release, but examining how the Vc is engineered should give us  a clue.

I didn't mention Seafires in post 22, but there's nothing in the CAD render to indicate Seafires, so I'll say no to that one, Mike.

It's a Spitfire Vc with options for different spinners, exhausts, undernose fairing and intake, and possibly cannon - hopefuly all in the same boxing.

Apart from decal options, that will be it.

19 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Regardless, I hope they sell a ton so they will be inclined to continue giving  us other types long overdue for replacement or have never been released before. Hopefully they can get finer panel lines and scribing on future releases and be truly world class!

Hear hear.

• Like 3

On 08/01/2020 at 13:53, Dave Swindell said:

It does indeed, but it's not a "starter set" as we currently know them (base kit plus glue, brush and a few pots of acrylic paint), this is one of their new "Small Beginner" sets and we've yet to see what the relationship is between them and a standard kit. From the website one noticable difference between the two spitfires is the number of parts, 26 in the Small Beginners set (including what apears to be a two part stand) vs 73 in the standard kit. I'ts difficult to reconcile a difference of 46 parts between these two kits on the options I've been looking at, the Small beginner kit also appears to have optional undercarriage, so there must be a significant change in the parts supplied to reduce the count so much, I'm certainly intrigued to see what commonality there is between the two kits.

Me too, and its not just the Spitfire. The Hawk, Tiger1 & Firefly apparently differ considerably between the Beginner Sets and standard products.

11 minutes ago, Ratch said:

Me too, and its not just the Spitfire. The Hawk, Tiger1 & Firefly apparently differ considerably between the Beginner Sets and standard products.

Yes, I'd noticed them too. It looks like a new tooling/marketing ploy being introduced this year

23 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

I didn't mention Seafires in post 22, but there's nothing in the CAD render to indicate Seafires,

Understood, Dave. The only reason I mentioned a Seafire II as a slight possibility was because the Vc and Seafire II pretty much share a common airframe with the exception of the four-blade prop and the navalized equipment. With  catapault hooks, reinforced longerons, and arrestor hook, it would be possible but would take a lot more engineering than  Airfix has done with previous new-tools...definitely wishful thinking on my part!

Mike

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ratch said:

They certainly appeared to on Monday, but I was looking at colour schemes for the Fireflies this afternoon and both the standard and beginners set versions are listed as having 31 parts. On that basis, who knows? Not me but they all look great so I might have to get three whatever.

Andy

56 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

.definitely wishful thinking on my part!

Not just you Mike, and if this was the Eduard thread I think we'd be in with a good chance, but with Airfix I'm sure we're only going to get variations on the Vc.

There's plenty of variety for these and there's no readily available Vc on the market so maybe we should be celebrating what we're getting and not worrying too much about what they've not done.

Airfix have always had spitfires in their catalogue, and haven't been shy popping out new tool ones every few years so I'm sure there'll be another mark along before too long....

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Seafire II would require a new fuselage with a cut-out for the A-frame arrestor hook and the exterior fuselage strengthener plates. 

7 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

Seafire II would require a new fuselage with a cut-out for the A-frame arrestor hook and the exterior fuselage strengthener plates. 

The cut out yes. As to the strengthening frames, some Cunliffe Owen built examples didn’t have them (don’t know why). I remember there was a story in this book by David Brown

https://stellabooks.com/books/david-brown/the-seafire-the-spitfire-that-went-to-sea/1606716

An experienced pilot had one of these ‘oddities’ as his mount and knew he had to land it gingerly. However (there’s always a however), someone else ‘borrowed’ it for a mission and promptly snapped it in half on landing.

I guess you just need to hunt down a photo.

Trevor

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Not just you Mike, and if this was the Eduard thread I think we'd be in with a good chance, but with Airfix I'm sure we're only going to get variations on the Vc.

There's plenty of variety for these and there's no readily available Vc on the market so maybe we should be celebrating what we're getting and not worrying too much about what they've not done.

Airfix have always had spitfires in their catalogue, and haven't been shy popping out new tool ones every few years so I'm sure there'll be another mark along before too long....

Actually there is one 1/72 Spitfire Vc readily available on the market, the Kovozavody Prostejov kit.

It may not be available in every shop, but I'm pretty sure I've seen the kit in the catalogue of at least a couple of UK based online retailers, and is of course available in several shops in the Czech Republic.

It may also not be the best in terms of accuracy, so in any case this new Airfix kit remains very interesting to me... but they have to correct those wheel well doors ! 😁

Regarding a Seafire IIC I can see how Airfix may not bother, it's an interesting variant for a Spitfire aficionado, but not really one that raises much interest around. Personally I don't mind as I'm sure that someone will make a converions set for this kit, If they don't, it's an easy enough conversion for most modellers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Not if they engineered the Mk Vc with two different lower fuselage sections to cater to the land/sea version. The strengthening straps and the reinforcement around the radio hatch could be easily done with decals/vinyl, like the RAM on some of the F-35 kits. Flashed over holes for the catapault spools, and Bob's your Uncle, as they say on the east side of the pond!

Mike

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Not if they engineered the Mk Vc with two different lower fuselage sections to cater to the land/sea version. The strengthening straps and the reinforcement around the radio hatch could be easily done with decals/vinyl, like the RAM on some of the F-35 kits. Flashed over holes for the catapault spools, and Bob's your Uncle, as they say on the east side of the pond!

Mike

Is that Bob on your dad’s side or your mother’s side?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Regarding a Seafire IIC I can see how Airfix may not bother, it's an interesting variant for a Spitfire aficionado, but not really one that raises much interest around. Personally I don't mind as I'm sure that someone will make a converions set for this kit, If they don't, it's an easy enough conversion for most modellers.

My italics in your post.

Airwaves, now owned by Hannants, made conversion sets and folding wings (using resin and PE) to convert the 70' Airfix Vb to the various Merlin Seafires variants.  Very comprehenive they were too especially for the Mk lll.

However, and I stand to be corrected, I think only Mks l and ll Seafires were based on the Vb, whereas Mk lll was based on the Vc.  How well they would fit only time will tell.

• Like 1