1/72 - Bristol Beaufort Mk.1/1A by Airfix - Mk.1 released - new Mk.1A boxing in Summer 2024

Homebee

6 hours ago, ho590hm said:

Still showing as in stock at Airfix website this morning - ordered mine last night.

Shame that the free postage limit is £20 - need to buy an extra one to clock up the extra penny!

Are we seeing a trend here - Big H got their Spitfire stocks a couple of weeks after release, AFAIR

Get your Vulcans on preorder now?

I could say that I feel sorry for your postage issue, but I don't. For me to get one kit sent to western Canada, the total cost of kit and shipping is £46.66. 

That converts to $80.72 CDN. Way too much for me. So I guess I have to wait for Hannants to get some.

Chris

Everyone is always so worshipful toward Hannants - there are alternatives, and good ones, within my experience; for example:

https://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/airfix-172-bristol-blenheim-mki--a04016-260709-p.asp

Looks like a good price to me, especially without VAT. Is it actually in stock? I don't know, but Model Hobbies has never let me down before.

John

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

Everyone is always so worshipful toward Hannants - there are alternatives, and good ones, within my experience; for example:

https://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/airfix-172-bristol-blenheim-mki--a04016-260709-p.asp

Looks like a good price to me, especially without VAT. Is it actually in stock? I don't know, but Model Hobbies has never let me down before.

John

I wouldn't touch Model Hobbies they are very dishonest. I ordered from them once with out a problem because they had what I wanted in stock then I ordered again and the parcel never turned up. It seems that often they will claim they have sent your parcel when they haven't because they didn't have stock.

Have a read around, people have also had partial ordered sent because some of their order was in-stock and they rest never turned up but Model Hobbies claimed they sent it. All the good reviews are because their order was in stock.

Hannants on the other hand I've always had great service from them if I've had a problem with something and of course they have the biggest selection around. There's other very good model shops around, eModels, Creative, MJW, PM Models to name a few, no need to touch the suspect ones.

• Like 3

Well, my experience has been exactly the opposite, but whatever - maybe we can compromise on eModels, although I've never dealt with them. Next time, maybe I will. Thanks for the tip!

John

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 1:44 AM, stevehnz said:

Maybe we're being a bit hard on Nathan, I thought he did OK & was quite a likeable lad though I only watched the Beaufort bit. He came across better than I expected, maybe Airfix is trying to reach a different demographic than us old farts & it's not everyone knows it's pronounced Blenem after all. ;)

Steve

And as a northerner from the UK,... I Had always pronounced Hurricane as,.... HURRI-KANE....... when in fact it is supposed to be HERRIKAN,.... that is what the toffs say anyway!   

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

And while you are there you can visit the Richard III museum, which is very interesting indeed.

The Castle at Middleham up the road is good too if you like Richard III,... plus that is very near to the breweries at Masham,..... Theakston`s and Black Sheep breweries and there is a cracking old pub in the village square which does great food,... three guesses what it is called,..... yes the Richard III; 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middleham_Castle

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, John Thompson said:

Everyone is always so worshipful toward Hannants..

Well, I almost had a religious experience when I visited their warehouse many years ago. Shelves upon shelves of kits stretching into the distance...:worthy:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, John Thompson said:

John

I don't have an opinion on what you say, but I love where you've given your location as.  I too, have a brother of sorts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IanC said:

Well, I almost had a religious experience when I visited their warehouse many years ago. Shelves upon shelves of kits stretching into the distance...:worthy:

They had a real Harrier at the back of the warehouse!  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, IanC said:

40 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

They had a real Harrier at the back of the warehouse!  

I can relate to that feeling - I remember the faint sound of a celestial choir somewhere in the distance the first time I visited the Udisco Hobbies warehouse in Montreal. Sold out of 1:1-scale Harriers, though.

John

• Haha 3

Ahhhh Udisco, a styrene heaven to be sure!!! The entertainment was interesting = Kaptain Kangeroo, never figured out if he was store security or the greeter, boy he could talk, and talk, and talk.......................     Closed up now, will probably become a bunch of trendy condos??????

The 'Fort' made it to new arrivals at the Big H!!

17 hours ago, tonyot said:

And as a northerner from the UK,... I Had always pronounced Hurricane as,.... HURRI-KANE....... when in fact it is supposed to be HERRIKAN,.... that is what the toffs say anyway!   

Then imagine me, a New Jersey kid try to buy a rail ticket to Loughborough at the Bedford rail station. Got one for Luckbro (I think). Did arrive safely at Donnington in the end.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Trenton guy said:

Then imagine me, a New Jersey kid try to buy a rail ticket to Loughborough at the Bedford rail station. Got one for Luckbro (I think). Did arrive safely at Donnington in the end.

An acquaintance of mine told me he'd once been queuing behind an Australian traveller in London St Pancras station and had overheard him asking for a ticket to Looga Barooga.

In fairness, a couple of years ago I visited Cambrai and needed to catch a local bus to the nearby village of Paillencourt. When the driver had finished laughing, he informed me that it's pronounced "PAY-en-coor" and not whatever it was that I'd said.

• Like 1

On 21/03/2021 at 15:20, Trenton guy said:

Jsut as well that you weren't in Norfolk.  How would you pronounce Costessey, Setchey, Hunstanton, Magdalen, Potter Higham or California?

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Jsut as well that you weren't in Norfolk.  How would you pronounce Costessey, Setchey, Hunstanton, Magdalen, Potter Higham or California?

California should be easy but I bet not. I’m never getting to any of those other places. The best the US can offer is Peeru (Peru) Indiana and it’s neighbor Mylan (Milan).

1 minute ago, Trenton guy said:

California should be easy but I bet not.

You'd be right.   It's pronounced "carney".

In Norfolk there is a weird habit of missing out at least one syllable.

Costessey  -  cossy

Setchey  -  setch

Hunstanton  -  hunston

Magdalen  -  maudlun

Potter Higham  -  po'ram with the ' being a glottal stop

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

4 minutes ago, Trenton guy said:

California should be easy but I bet not. I’m never getting to any of those other places. The best the US can offer is Peeru (Peru) Indiana and it’s neighbor Mylan (Milan).

Let's not even start on the names of places where I live..... Machynlleth, Llangurig, Penstrowed, Ystrad Mynach etc.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, k5054nz said:

That's what I really enjoy about this thread: I come in to find out the latest on the Airfix 1/72 Beaufort kit and it's discussion about placename pronunciation. 

You just can’t beat it.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

You forgot Happisburgh*! :lol: 

It is in a sense relevant to the thread - after all, Beaufort isn't pronounced Bo-fort or Bew-fort :) 

Cheers,

Stew

* Haze-bruh, apparently

• Like 1

Source: https://www.facebook.com/HPMHobbies/posts/3964357653615818

HPM Hobbies: Home of High Planes Models

That’s a win: today’s test print of the Beaufort Twin Wasp nacelles fits the Airfix wing. This is the hardest part of the design (apart from the engine cylinders).

Now we can go on to adding wheel well and undercarriage door detail, and the exhaust pipes.

The final step will be deciding how to split the nacelle for casting. In the meantime we are producing the engines, cowls and propellers.

162995225-3964357393615844-4484838574510

V.P.

• Like 12

Very interesting. Can’t wait to order (assuming I can ever find a second Beaufort). Knew a new vertical stabilizer and engine cowls would be involved. Didn’t know nacelles would be different also. Guess that’s why we wake up each day, and check Britmodeller.

• Like 3