1/72 - Bristol Beaufort Mk.1/1A by Airfix - Mk.1 released - new Mk.1A boxing in Summer 2024

Homebee

49 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

Strange. I assumed the kits were boxed n the UK but I guess they go straight to other countries and the ones coming to the UK are taking a bit longer.

It's Airfix policy. Wollongong NSW gets priority. 

Blighty second.😀

I love Brett's reviews. That initial back of the head shot...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IanC said:

It's Airfix policy. Wollongong NSW gets priority. 

Blighty second.😀

I love Brett's reviews. That initial back of the head shot...

When can this ex-colony expect to get some?

Chris

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, alt-92 said:

It's still chaos with regard to international shipping.  Distributors in mainland Europe can't get new Airfix deliveries at the moment and are running their stocks down.

That explains  why the cupboard  appears to be dry almost everywhere.  So The Beaufort  is available  in Oz but not in the UK ? 

Dunno, I don't live in the UK.

But we haven't seen any new kit come in after Jan 1st - no Spit mk.Vc for instance, and the rest is all Soon(tm)*

"Soon" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future.

"Soon" will arrive some day. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "soon".

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yeah this one as well ? 

But you guys kicked up a crap-storm of trouble before you split.

We just did it quietly and peacefully, with the blessing of The Crown. We should get first dibs.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

7 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

We just did it quietly and peacefully, with the blessing of The Crown. We should get first dibs.

Did someone just mention the name “Meghan Markle’???

• Haha 8

20 hours ago, dogsbody said:

When can this ex-colony expect to get some?

Chris

If we secede from the Union would it make my Beaufort arrive quicker?

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Yep, there'd be a whole load of them heading your way fully armed....

I reckon I'd be safe from torpedo bombers here; I live at 1200 feet!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

When they went through customs did they ahem weigh them on a ahem ‘Beaufort scale’ ?

tenor.gif?itemid=5637385

:D

Well, if anything, the comments prove this one is eagerly anticipated :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 1

Now my two have just arrived, boxes slightly crushed due to poor packaging, however I got these for less than half normal retail price from an eBay seller who obviously doesn’t know his craft.

First impressions are very favourable and I’m happy to say the panel lines are very fine and IMO true to scale. The surface plastic is smooth and I like the way that Airfix have designed the sprues with these large shields to protect the sharp wing root fillets. They work quite well, however mine were still slightly damaged due to other sprues rubbing against this one. A seperate bag for each sprue might have done the trick a little better. 

Cheers (a very impressed).. Dave 

51014942567_5ee740f097_b.jpg

51014946747_cf82423d53_b.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

49 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Dave any thoughts on future releases now that you've looked at the plastic ? Any chance for the later turret style and cowlings for an Aussie version ? 

Hello Dennis, I hope you’re keeping well. The Beaufort is a subject I’ll claim to know little about even though we produced more than 700 of these aircraft Down Under. 

Airfix provide two types of rear turrets, a two part wide low riding version (as per kit schemes) and a smaller high riding type which I’m not familiar with. Each turret has its own rear fuselage plug, however neither of these fitted during my initial dry run. There is a high ridge of plastic on the forward mating surface and Airfix suggest this needs to be removed prior to the turret and fuse plug installation.

So my question is, if neither of these two pieces fit the parts already provided, why does this ridge actually exist... is there another possible version yet to be announced?? 

As for cowlings, the engines, cowlings and engine nacelles are all on one common sprue which include propellers, bomb bay and some internal parts. I don’t think we’ll see any P & W powered versions from this base kit. 

Cheers.. Dave 

51015006076_686192658b_b.jpg

51015096072_027de64479_b.jpg

51015006066_5b45c7bac6_b.jpg

51015006061_dae2ac769d_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for posting the photos.

The other turret fairing is presumably for the later twin-Browning turret fitted to the Mk Ia and II. You've got the faired DF loops there too. Which opens up some Mediterranean marking options.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, IanC said:

Thanks for posting the photos.

The other turret fairing is presumably for the later twin-Browning turret fitted to the Mk Ia and II. You've got the faired DF loops there too. Which opens up some Mediterranean marking options.

Thanks for that Ian.. so a Malta based version will likely be next then. Good pick up on the clear DF loops, I forgot to mention those. Perhaps I should build one OOB and then photograph what parts are leftover! 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks for that Ian.. so a Malta based version will likely be next then. 

Highly likely, Dave. The whole Beaufort force was out of the UK by mid-1942, and nearly all were based on Malta at some stage, including those destined for the Far East. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1