1/72 - Bristol Beaufort Mk.1/1A by Airfix - Mk.1 released - new Mk.1A boxing in Summer 2024

Homebee

20 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Mine's arrived!

It looks pretty decent but the detailing is weirdly basic, e.g. cylinder heads barely textured, undercarriage structures with very little detailing etc.  I'm strangely underwhelmed on that score.

If you're not happy with it just send it to me, I'll build it.🤣

In all honesty the cooling fins on radial engines are so fine and so close together that rendering them in 1/72th scale is, for practical purposes, impossible.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, stever219 said:

If you're not happy with it just send it to me, I'll build it.🤣

In all honesty the cooling fins on radial engines are so fine and so close together that rendering them in 1/72th scale is, for practical purposes, impossible.

Yeah, I've got over myself on that score now, too!

• Thanks 1

Out of stock at Jadlam again,  Prevaricated a bit too long, so it looks like I'll have to wait for my backorder from the Big H. It does look pretty good from the sprue shots I've seen, so I'll be very happy when I do get it. 

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Bristol Beaufort Mk.1 by Airfix - released
1 hour ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Look forward to seeing them all built- by the buzz this has created It seems that Airfix have a bit of a slightly unexpected (?)  success on their hands!

TT

This is a British WW2 era aircraft, built by the thousands and operated in many worldwide theatres. Throw in the fact that the only other ‘mainstream’ Beaufort kit was (by todays standards) crude and released almost 60 years ago, surely their marketing team would have expected a huge initial demand? Let’s hope this type of subject choice continues as there are still many other aircraft types that fit this same category. 

Cheers.. Dave (thinking Venom & Manchester). 

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

This is a British WW2 era aircraft, built by the thousands and operated in many worldwide theatres. (...) there are still many other aircraft types that fit this same category. 

Cheers.. Dave (thinking Venom & Manchester). 

🤔 Agreed on the Venom, but....

Edited by k5054nz

21 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

This is a British WW2 era aircraft, built by the thousands and operated in many worldwide theatres. Throw in the fact that the only other ‘mainstream’ Beaufort kit was (by todays standards) crude and released almost 60 years ago, surely their marketing team would have expected a huge initial demand? Let’s hope this type of subject choice continues as there are still many other aircraft types that fit this same category. 

Cheers.. Dave (thinking Venom & Manchester). 

You forget the Special Hobby kit, which is actually a very nice kit. Of which I've done two. [https://www.flickr.com/gp/data70/6587RY]

Surface detail is pretty good, the only difference is that Airfix provide an interior, which will mostly be obscured. Still looking forward to cracking my box open tomorrow! 

Martin

• Like 4

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

There. fixed it for you. ;)  

Steve.

Of course Steve, how could I have forgotten the Fairey Battle. Fingers crossed that’s in the Airfix pipeline as well. 

2 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

You forget the Special Hobby kit, which is actually a very nice kit. Of which I've done two.

... and a very nice job you have done there, Martin. I did use the word ‘mainstream’ which (IMO) you can’t call early Soecial Hobby kits. Mind you, that analogy is probably down to one’s modelling ability, so you can argue each way on that one. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Of course Steve, how could I have forgotten the Fairey Battle. Fingers crossed that’s in the Airfix pipeline as well. 

... and a very nice job you have done there, Martin. I did use the word ‘mainstream’ which (IMO) you can’t call early Soecial Hobby kits. Mind you, that analogy is probably down to one’s modelling ability, so you can argue each way on that one. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Yes, maybe "semi mainstream"!

Tomorrow I'll find out what the new one's like & there may be a rare possibility that i'll actually start building a new purchase!

Agreed about the Fairey Battle as well!

Martin

• Like 2

So it appears that not many came into the UK on the first shipment. From the Hannnants website - 

'Bristol Beaufort Mk.I We have received a partial delivery of this kit. Unfortunately we have not been sent enough to satisfy even half of the Backorders we have."

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Tbolt said:

So it appears that not many came into the UK on the first shipment. From the Hannnants website - 

'Bristol Beaufort Mk.I We have received a partial delivery of this kit. Unfortunately we have not been sent enough to satisfy even half of the Backorders we have."

Isn’t that a fine kettle of fish. What’s going on Airfix. Just secured mine for a reasonable price and very high shipping cost (on eBay). Can’t wait any longer. Like the Buccaneer, this one will be started the minute it hits the bench, w hat’s the use of tooling a much wanted kit and then not having it for sale. ONLY AIRFIX KNOWS !!!!!!

• Like 1

They can't be all that thin on the ground, I ordered one from the Airfix website Tuesday evening and received it this morning (Friday). Can't see how that can happen if they haven't enough to satisfy the backorders.

• Like 2

Can't imagine Hannants being happy then. Presumably that will be a few thousand pounds revenue lost? Just don't get it - biggest model shop in the world doesn't get what they ordered (guessing on announcement, several hundred kits?).

Especially as they wholesale too, so could now be many more shops unable to supply/meet pre orders

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, john224 said:

They can't be all that thin on the ground, I ordered one from the Airfix website Tuesday evening and received it this morning (Friday). Can't see how that can happen if they haven't enough to satisfy the backorders.

I guess the initial batch was short and Airfix probably still kept their planned amount of kits leaving some retailers short. Not a good thing but I guess a lot of people don't mind waiting a bit longer anyway.

1 minute ago, Tbolt said:

I guess the initial batch was short and Airfix probably still kept their planned amount of kits leaving some retailers short. Not a good thing but I guess a lot of people don't mind waiting a bit longer anyway.

Perhaps they kept some to satisfy possible orders from Club members. I got an email to say they were in stock and ordered from that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Not a good thing but I guess a lot of people don't mind waiting a bit longer anyway.

I certainly don't. I've a few too many other builds in various states of progress.

By the time I finish them the Beaufort buzz will have been replaced by Tempest tizzy or Mustang (III) mania!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, IanC said:

I certainly don't. I've a few too many other builds in various states of progress.

By the time I finish them the Beaufort buzz will have been replaced by Tempest tizzy or Mustang (III) mania!

Yes it neve bothers me as the stash has plenty to keep me busy 😁 Plus by plenty of people building it first you you get to find out any problems before you start.

• Like 2

Still showing as in stock at Airfix website this morning - ordered mine last night.

Shame that the free postage limit is £20 - need to buy an extra one to clock up the extra penny!

Are we seeing a trend here - Big H got their Spitfire stocks a couple of weeks after release, AFAIR

Get your Vulcans on preorder now?

Interesting that Airfix are short, a look on the Hornby page of RM Web indicates that some big retailers have not received their allocations of various locos, to the extent that some are not now accepting preorders on Hornby stuff. 

Some of it appears to be that they underestimated demand for stuff like the 'Rocket' and I wonder if this it what has happened here. It is a bit surprising that they got the numbers wrong as they know how many preorders from retailer's and wholesalers and preorders on their own site to give done indication as to demand.

There has been some muttering over the years that Hornby wants to push ordering from its own site over retail sales through shops to increase their margins to up profitability. Not sure how sound this would be in the long term, I have my doubts.