1/72 - Bristol Beaufort Mk.1/1A by Airfix - Mk.1 released - new Mk.1A boxing in Summer 2024

Homebee

3 minutes ago, MikeR said:

I wonder if the way the engine nacelles have been designed make it possible to tool for the PW Twin Wasps of the Mk II? It would require a new sprue although we aren't seeing any sign of that just now.:hmmm:

Mike.

Maybe, but you would have to redo the outboard side of each nacelle to accommodate the exhaust pipe.

Chris

Ah, I'd forgotten about that!:doh:

A separate sprue with new nacelle sides would take care of it, though. No chance of an Aussie Mk VIII because of the tail being an integral part of the fuselage halves, but those locating tabs for the tail wheel bay may make good guides for cutting it off in order for a resin conversion part to be fitted.

I wonder what @Ed Russell makes of the parts breakdown?

Mike.

• Like 1

Let me just re-iterate again one more time as I have said before ......... at this stage Mr Airfix does not intend to do either a DAP Beaufort or a 1/48 Beaufort. Several thousand pre-orders with cash deposits might change their mind. The parts breakdown is consistent with this idea and it does not look as though variants are intended. However a decent modeller should be able to cross-kit a HPM and Airfix kit to make a nice DAP model. The HPM one is quite accurate but a couple of builds I have seen have stalled at the point where the modeller realised that the transparencies are rather wider than the fuselage. They crack if you squeeze them. So......... HPM nacelles, gun position, fin added to Airfix kit. There are lots of detail differences - no point discussing them at this stage. The links below are helpful for these detalls. 

Based on previous performance Brtimodeller's  Beaufort expert is @Navy Bird. Look at his build and try and find a SH kit if you want a DAP Beaufort.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234974028-172-special-hobby-dap-beaufort-mkviii-snifter/

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234965602-special-hobby-172-dap-beaufort-mkviii/

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Let me just re-iterate again one more time as I have said before ......... at this stage Mr Airfix does not intend to do either a DAP Beaufort or a 1/48 Beaufort. Several thousand pre-orders with cash deposits might change their mind. The parts breakdown is consistent with this idea and it does not look as though variants are intended. However a decent modeller should be able to cross-kit a HPM and Airfix kit to make a nice DAP model. The HPM one is quite accurate but a couple of builds I have seen have stalled at the point where the modeller realised that the transparencies are rather wider than the fuselage. They crack if you squeeze them. So......... HPM nacelles, gun position, fin added to Airfix kit. There are lots of detail differences - no point discussing them at this stage. The links below are helpful for these detalls. 

Based on previous performance Brtimodeller's  Beaufort expert is @Navy Bird. Look at his build and try and find a SH kit if you want a DAP Beaufort.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234974028-172-special-hobby-dap-beaufort-mkviii-snifter/

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234965602-special-hobby-172-dap-beaufort-mkviii/

Sorry, Ed! What I meant was whether or not the parts breakdown lent itself for ease of conversion to another variant, superficially it appears to be the case with regards to the nacelles and gun position.

I can understand Airfix's decision to go for the most numerous variant in RAF service but it's still a pity that they didn't consider catering for the second most produced version. Even more so considering that the one in the RAF Museum is actually a DAP produced machine.

Mike.

• Like 2

I would think the parts picture makes it look like a reasonable start towards a DAP Beaufort, although maybe not the easiest way to get there (see above).  On the other hand, one would expect the Airfix fit quality to be a  plus factor in any conversion. The nacelles and engines may be a direct replacement (however I bet some filling is needed) but it looks like some cutting work may be needed for the fin - the rudder is the same. Depending on what it looks like, a resin fin may be better than a whole tail. There is a large space where the turret goes so it should be achievable to fettle the HPM one into place.

Hopefully someone will give it a go. I can just imagine an Alan W Hall article in an early Airfix Magazine.

I have seen the RAF Museum one and chatted to the one of the guys who did it - it is not a very original anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With this talk of alternative versions, why the two turret housings? Are we looking at an early & later turret fitted to the Mk I or will the kit do a Mk I & a later Taurus engined Mk (III?)? Sorry, total Beaufort numpty here & apologies if already discussed.

Steve

• Like 1

Well well well all this if and buts. I. ll just build mine and praise the gods we have a new Beaufort

• Like 10

I think I see an earlier turret to the top right of the clear sprues.

The built sample in the photos has the later style turret which from what I know of the Beaufort came into being with the MkII. Either way I am really looking forward to this kit.

• 5 weeks later...

Future Xtradecal - ref. X72319 - Bristol Beaufort Collection (16)

Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72319 
• Bristol Beaufort Mk.IA, DD959 ‘Q’ of 217 Squadron, Royal Air Force, based at RAF Luqa, Malta, 1942.
• Bristol Beaufort Mk.IA, EK979 ‘35’ of the Middle East Check and Conversion Unit, Royal Air Force, based at Bilbais, Egypt, 1944.
• Bristol Beaufort Mk.I, N1011 ‘R’ of 16 Squadron, South African Air Force, based at Ivato, Madagascar, October, 1942.
• Bristol (DAP) Beaufort Mk.V, A9-27 ‘B’ of 6 OTU, Royal Australian Air Force, based at Jervis Bay, New South Wales, Australia, April, 1943.
• Bristol (DAP) Beaufort Mk.VIII, A9-632 ‘DD.T/Snow Goose’ of 15 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force, based at Middleburg Island, New Guinea, September, 1945.
• Bristol Beaufort Mk.I, AW243 ‘AW.O’ of 42 Squadron, Royal Air Force, based at RAF Leuchars, Scotland, UK, December, 1941.
• Bristol Beaufort Mk.IA, DW891,‘Q’ of 217 Squadron, Royal Air Force, based at Vavuniya, Ceylon, April, 1944.
• Bristol (DAP) Beaufort Mk.VIII, A9-338 ‘338’ of 1 OTU, Royal Australian Air Force, based at East Sale, Victoria, Australia, 1943.
• Bristol Beaufort Mk.IA, LR906, ‘42’ of No.2 Torpedo Training Unit based at RAF Castle Kennedy, Scotland, UK, September, 1943.
• Bristol Beaufort Mk.I, L4449 ‘OA.H’ of 22 Squadron, Royal Air Force, based at RAF Thorney Island, UK, January, 1940.
• Bristol Beaufort Mk.IA, L9965 ‘T’ of an unknown Squadron, Royal Air Force, based in the Mediterranean, 1942.
• Bristol Beaufort Mk.IIA, AW347 ‘BX.S’ of 86 Squadron, Royal Air Force, based at RAF Skitten, Scotland, UK, 1942.
• Bristol Beaufort Mk.IIA, ‘4621’ of 105th Torpedo and Reconnaissance Group, Turkish Air Force, based at Yessilkoy, Turkey, Summer, 1945.
• Bristol Beaufort Mk.IA, LR901 ‘Y9P’ of the Station Flight, RNAS Yeovilton, based at RNAS Yeovilton, UK, Spring, 1945.
• Bristol Beaufort Mk.I, DX157 whilst on it’s delivery flight to India, Spring, 1944.
• Bristol (DAP) Beaufort Mk.VIII, A9-292 ‘292’ of 1 OTU, Royal Australian Air Force, based at East Sale, Victoria, Australia, 1944.

X72319.jpg

V.P.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

. I wonder what Hannants know to make them include these?

We can only hope Steve, however all that I’ve read doesn’t point to anything promising I’m afraid. Perhaps they are aiming for those that own the rare SH kit too? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

I'm surprised that neither Airfix or Xtradecal appear to provide an option to do the well-known L9878 MW-R from 217 Sqn - for which clear, original colour photos exist.  

Unless it's been covered elsewhere?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IanC said:

I'm surprised that neither Airfix or Xtradecal appear to provide an option to do the well-known L9878 MW-R from 217 Sqn - for which clear, original colour photos exist.  

Unless it's been covered elsewhere?

Yes, in the Special Hobby kit.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
21 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Still waiting.....

Any news or will its release be affected by current world events?

Trevor

At the risk of being cynical I would expect a delay as Airfix schedules tended to slip even before Covid-19.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

Box art, schemes & more.

Source: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/victoria-cross-beaufort-exclusive

Victoria Cross Beaufort exclusive

Published 21/08/2020

a_exclusive_new_airfix_bristol_beaufort_

Welcome to this latest edition of Workbench and all the news, updates and exclusive announcements from the fascinating world of Airfix modelling.

Two weeks is a long time in the world of Airfix and so much has happened since we published our previous blog, that we are often spoilt for subject choice when it comes to planning the current edition. Nevertheless, we have selected several subjects for this latest edition which we hope will be of interest, as we cover modelling projects which feature aircraft, warships and classic contemporary cars. Traversing a number of our 2020 ranges, we can promise you plenty of new information, including box artwork reveals, an update from an incredibly well received new tooling project and a selection of product images which are so ‘hot off the press’, they are still smouldering.

We begin with a project update from a new model tooling which was announced at the beginning of this year and one which came as a pleasant surprise for many thousands of modellers all over the world, our impressive new 1/72nd scale Bristol Beaufort Mk.I. By the time we have finished with this update, if the Beaufort is not already on your build schedule for a little later this year, it more than likely will be then. Spoiling everyone for choice, not content with bringing you a little Beaufort temptation, we also look at the return of a 1/350th scale kit which is a representation of one of the Royal Navy’s most advanced ships and one which will have warship modellers clearing a little space on their workbenches. We also have an interesting Quickbuild update and details of an impending addition to our Starter Set range which features one of the most capable air superiority fighters of the post war era, as we bring you our latest comprehensive Airfix roundup.

The enduring story of Airfix box artwork

b_exclusive_new_airfix_bristol_beaufort_

With the announcement of our new 1/72nd scale Bristol Beaufort Mk.I tooling at the beginning of the year, Workbench readers would have been looking forward to seeing the box artwork produced to support this kit, particularly as its publication means its release can’t be too far away

The joy of Airfix modelling is something that has touched many millions of people over the years and even though many will tend to dip in and out of periods of modelling activity, the name Airfix and it’s famous logo are always associated with pleasant memories, past and present. Although the joy of this hobby will clearly mean different things to different people, one aspect of the Airfix brand which has always been ‘high profile’ and commands a fascination all of its own is that of our box artwork. Often a strong determining factor in a modeller deciding which kit will be their next build project, many Airfix fans of a certain vintage will probably also remember collecting cut out box artwork and instruction sheets as part of their modelling infatuation.

With the talented people responsible for producing this artwork occupying their own revered position in the history of the Airfix brand, the current range of artwork makes full use of the latest digital technology to bring our subject matter to life, providing irresistible inspiration for many a build project. With the fascinating stories behind the decal scheme options we include in our kits giving these scale representations of the real aircraft, military vehicles and ships a character all of their own, this artwork is effectively a visual manifestation of amazing events which may have taken place many years ago, accounts of which are only available in the written word. As most of us are blessed with fertile imaginations, it is no wonder we find this artwork so appealing and a huge part of our modelling enjoyment.

You all knew this preamble was leading us somewhere and are probably wondering why we didn’t lead this section with the exclusive box artwork reveal we are talking about, but all good things come to he who waits and this one is very much worth the wait. With the Airfix development team always having a keen interest in what our customers think about our current kits and future project development, we already knew that our Bristol Beaufort Mk.I tooling would be a welcome addition to the range, but had no idea just how popular this announcement would turn out to be. With that very much in mind, we were determined to do something a little different with the Beaufort box artwork, particularly as it was going to be a representation of one of the most heroic acts of the Second World War – we definitely think we have managed to achieve this.

c_exclusive_new_airfix_bristol_beaufort_

We told you it would be worth the wait … what a stunning piece of artwork. Illustrating the moment Kenneth Campbell released the torpedo from Beaufort N1016 during his attack against the German battleship Gneisenau on 6th April 1941, does Airfix box artwork get any more dramatic than this?

During the 1930s, the Bristol Aeroplane Company were without doubt one of the most proficient aircraft manufacturers not only in the UK, but in the world. Responsible for producing the RAF’s most important fighter of the decade, the fast and agile Bulldog, the company would also play a significant role in the modern expansion of the Royal Air Force, as their Blenheim light bomber would point to the direction of future military aircraft design. An aircraft which was initially envisaged as an evolutionary development of the Blenheim, the Bristol Beaufort has the distinction of being the only monoplane type produced for the Royal Air Force which was designed from the outset to fulfil the dual roles of torpedo bomber and reconnaissance aircraft.

Highlighting the pressing need for an aircraft possessing these maritime capabilities, the Beaufort was one of only a handful of aircraft to be ordered by the British Air Ministry whilst the project was still ‘on the drawing board’, a move which clearly reflected the faith they had in the Bristol Company. The Beaufort may well have started life as a Blenheim development, but it quickly became apparent that the new aircraft would look quite different to its predecessor. With a much deeper front fuselage section needed to accommodate its crew of four and the requirement to carry a torpedo in a semi-recessed position under the fuselage, a gross weight increase of around 25 percent over the Blenheim ensured that whilst the two aircraft may have been related in aviation terms, they most certainly could not be described as twins.

Historically, the demanding specifications the Beaufort was required to satisfy, in conjunction with Bristol’s existing Blenheim manufacturing commitments, dictated that an aircraft which had production contracts initially signed in August 1936 would not actually see its squadron introduction until almost three and a half years later, when Britain was already at war. Once in squadron service, the Beaufort quickly proved to be an extremely rugged and highly manoeuvrable aircraft, one which would be tasked with performing some of the most demanding strike attack missions of the war.

The magnificent box artwork which will accompany the first release from this new tooling features the dramatic moment Flying Officer Kenneth Campbell released his torpedo during a heroic attack against the German battleship Gneisenau. The successful attack would tragically result in the destruction of the Beaufort and the loss of its crew, with the pilot being awarded the Victoria Cross for his bravery in the face of enemy fire. This aircraft will be one of the two scheme options to be included with the new kit, with the other being so distinctly different that it will prove difficult for modellers to decide which one to go for. Having said that, the artwork is so dramatic and marks such a heroic action, that this option will prove almost impossible to resist.

Scheme A – Bristol Beaufort Mk.I, Aircraft flown by Flying Officer Kenneth Campbell VC (pilot), Sgt. J.P. Scott DFM RCAF (navigator), Sgt. R.W. Hillman (wireless operator) and W.C. Mulliss (air gunner) against the German battleship Gneisenau, Royal Air Force No.22 Squadron, St Eval, Cornwall, April 6th 1941

d_new_airfix_bristol_beaufort_mk1_model_

Posing a significant threat to British naval forces and the vital merchant convoys which were keeping Britain in the war, the German capital ship Gneisenau was the second vessel in her class and sister ship of Scharnhorst. The two ships often operated as a pair during the early months of the Second World War, scoring some notable successes in the Atlantic and in Norwegian waters, which further underlined their priority target status for the British. After a further successful period raiding in the Atlantic during the early part of 1941, the two ships put into port in Brest to take on supplies and possibly to undergo repairs, although this has never been definitively confirmed. Their arrival in Brest was relayed to British authorities by French resistance forces and a concerted period of air activity followed, as the RAF attempted to destroy the ships before they could do any more damage.

Despite mounting several significant raids, the vast majority would prove ineffective and only served to keep the many anti-aircraft batteries stationed in the area well practiced and on high alert. This lack of success and the high priority nature of the targets led RAF officials to call for an ‘at all cost’ effort to neutralise the threat, with the Bristol Beauforts of RAF No.22 Squadron being tasked with the mission. The raid consisted of six Beauforts in two sections, with the first three aircraft equipped with mines attacking first, taking out the torpedo nets which had the potential of rendering the attack ineffective. The second wave would consist of three more Beauforts carrying 18-inch Mark XII torpedoes, with their target being the battleship Gneisenau, as her sister ship was in dry dock.

An extremely dangerous mission, the Gneisenau was moored parallel to a stone mole, which provided the ship with significant protection and making the attack run of the Beauforts incredibly challenging, almost impossible – it would require a huge amount of flying skill, all whilst under heavy defensive fire. Even if everything went exactly to plan, the chances of success were still relatively slight.

Bad weather on the day of the raid would play havoc with the meticulous planning and throw it into some disarray. It is thought that three of the aircraft actually failed to take off, as they had become bogged down in the soggy ground their airfield, due to the weight of fuel and armament, whilst a fourth failed to find the target area due to a thick haze shrouding the French coastline. A fifth aircraft did commence its attack run, but was forced to abort due to the haze totally enveloping the target – this just left one final aircraft.

ea_new_airfix_bristol_beaufort_mk1_model

Profile artwork featuring Bristol Beaufort Mk.I N1016 (OA-X), the aircraft in which pilot Kenneth Campbell flew his heroic VC winning mission

Bristol Beaufort Mk.I N1016 (OA-X) took off from RAF St. Eval in Cornwall on Sunday 6th April 1941 and headed for a rallying point off the coast of France, close to the coastal town of Brest. Even though the weather was poor, the crew were surprised to find that they were the only aircraft to make it and after orbiting for a short while to hope the others turned up, soon had a big decision to make. Thinking they were alone and unaware if the earlier group had launched their attack, should they press on with their mission or return to base, to attack another day. Although the odds were seriously stacked against them, they turned towards the harbour and started their attack run. As the aircraft flew lower and lower, a solid wall of defensive fire burst into life and was aimed squarely in their direction.

Heading into one of the most heavily defended locations in Europe, anti-aircraft fire from shore batteries and the battleship itself peppered the lone aircraft, but it kept on its course, with the pilot expertly lining up his Beaufort for its optimum attack angle, avoiding the stone mole and coming in so close over shore batteries that they could hardly miss their target. Flying at almost sea level, Flying Officer Kenneth Campbell only released his torpedo when he was sure it was going to hit his target, knowing that his climb out would have to be steep and violent. As the torpedo hit the water and ran towards the ship, the Beaufort pulled up in a steep, banking turn, revealing its undersides to the anti-aircraft gunners, who raked it with everything they had.

Unable to withstand such an onslaught and with the crew probably having already sustained serious injury, the Beaufort crashed into the harbour almost immediately, claiming the lives of all on board. Their attack was successful and the torpedo blew a huge hole under the waterline of Gneisenau, causing it to return to the dry dock from where it had only just emerged. It would be out of commission for almost six months following the attack and it is impossible to gauge how many lives were saved and how much vital cargo reached its destination as a result of the heroic actions of the crew of Beaufort N1016.

As a lone aircraft, the selfless actions of Flying Officer Kenneth Campbell and his crewmates would have gone unheralded had it not been for the intervention of the French resistance. A report on the condition of the German battleship and the actions of the brave Beaufort crew were sent back to Britain, where records were updated. For displaying valour in the face of extreme peril and without regard for his own safety, Flying Officer Kenneth Campbell was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross, Britain’s highest award for valour in the presence of the enemy. As the entire crew ensured this attack was successful and would probably have also been involved in the decision to attempt the attack in the first place, it does seem more than a little unfair that their valour was not also officially recognised. No doubt their squadron mates and loved ones would have been sad and incredibly proud in equal measure on hearing the news and anyone who has discovered details of this action in the years which followed can’t fail to be humbled by their unfathomable bravery and devotion to duty. These were very special young men indeed.

Scheme B – Bristol Beaufort Mk.I, Aircraft flown by Sgt. John Bell Rutherford (pilot), Sgt. Thomas Patrick O’Byrne (navigator), Sgt. William Samuel Ralph Browning (wireless operator) and Sgt. John Anthony Duckworth Wood (air gunner) against the German cruiser Admiral Hipper, Royal Air Force No.217 Squadron, St Eval, Cornwall, February 1st 1941

f_new_airfix_bristol_beaufort_mk1_model_

The squadron introduction of the Bristol Beaufort was not without its problems and despite having an unusually long development for an aircraft which was so badly needed, the first units suffered persistent reliability issues with the new Taurus engines. Intended to replace such aircraft as the huge Vickers Vildebeest torpedo equipped biplane, the early teething problems caused by engine reliability issues saw these totally unsuitable, obsolete aircraft, having to soldier on for a while, until a solution to the problem could be found. Once the Beaufort could be operated effectively, it quickly proved itself to be an exceptionally rugged aircraft and one ideally suited to the demanding task at hand – it was also a massive upgrade over previous aircraft in this role.

The new RAF airfield at St. Eval on the north Cornish coast was an ideal location from where to launch anti-submarine and anti-shipping patrols and strike operations covering this vital combat sector, something it would do for the majority of WWII. Interestingly, it actually became operational as a Fighter Command station during the early stages of the Battle of Britain, with the Spitfires of No.234 Squadron being early residents, but as the battle progressed, most of the action was taking place further east and the Spitfires were relocated by August 1940.

In its maritime strike and patrol role, the residents around St Eval airfield would soon become familiar with the sound of the Bristol Taurus engines of the Beaufort torpedo bombers which operated from the station, with the U-boats and warships of the Kriegsmarine being regular targets. Another of St. Eval’s aircraft tasked with attacking a major German warship moored in the heavily defended Brest harbour, Beaufort Mk.I L9866 launched its attack some two months before the famous VC winning action by Kenneth Campbell and his crew. Following the completion of repairs, the German cruiser Admiral Hipper was due to leave Brest harbour to embark on a further Atlantic raiding sortie, with the intention of causing havoc amongst the merchant convoys bound for Britain – the Royal Air Force were determined to prevent this from happening.

ga_new_airfix_bristol_beaufort_mk1_model

Profile artwork featuring another RAF St. Eval based Beaufort Mk.I, this time wearing a very different camouflage scheme to the aircraft flown by Kenneth Campbell

Taking off from St. Eval in the mid-afternoon of 1st February 1941, the crew of Beaufort L9866 had a short but treacherous flight over open ocean ahead of them and if they did manage to locate their target, they would be facing withering defensive fire, not just from the German cruiser, but also from the many shore batteries of various calibres which protected the harbour. The Luftwaffe were also fully aware that the French resistance would have reported the movement of Admiral Hipper from the harbour and would have been expecting a powerful RAF force to attack the ship. They had assembled a mighty force of Messerschmitt fighters to provide a hostile reception for the RAF airmen.

Admiral Hipper must have been regarded as something of a lucky ship, as it often evaded detection by enemy forces sent to look for it. The ship slipped out of Brest harbour virtually unopposed, in the main, thanks to the many patrols mounted by Luftwaffe fighter units on the day. It is thought that Beaufort L9866 was intercepted and shot down by the Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4 of Uffz Horst Bochmann of II./JG77, with all on board being lost. Crashing into the sea off the northern coast of Brittany at around 17.00 hrs, it is thought that due to the location and timing of the incident, the crew had already launched their attack against the Hipper and were heading back to base when they were attacked by Luftwaffe fighters, although this has never been definitively corroborated.

The Luftwaffe airfield at Dinan in Brittany was the home base of II./JG77 and was one of the airfields designated to provide defensive air cover for the vital harbour facilities at Brest. With the Kriegsmarine’s large warships posing a significant threat to the British, Luftwaffe units in this sector would be kept incredibly busy fighting off numerous raids, but as this was one of the most heavily defended areas in Europe, many RAF aircraft would be lost during these operations – a mission to Brest harbour, or indeed the entire region of Brittany, would have been one fraught with danger.

The brave and well trained Beaufort crews of RAF Coastal Command would go on to take a heavy toll of German naval assets and make a significant contribution in turning the tide of war in favour of the Allies. If they were not actually destroying German heavy warships, they did an effective job in keeping them in dock, with raids pinning them under the protective shield of their ports, or undergoing repairs after sustaining damage. Facing not only the might of the Luftwaffe, but also the heavy fire of well defended naval facilities, it is perhaps just as well that this aircraft, which must be described as something of a WWII unsung hero, was an incredibly tough and stable attack platform – it did still have to be flown by heroes though.

With our new Bristol Beaufort Mk.I kit attracting plenty of modeller attention, it will also have been noted that the two scheme options included with the first release may feature aircraft which both operated from RAF St. Eval only two months apart during 1941, but with both wearing dramatically different schemes. With the lead scheme representing the famous VC winning aircraft flown by pilot Kenneth Campbell and the one featured on the stunning box artwork, this will clearly be a popular choice for many modellers, however, the second option is so different and possibly even more attractive, we may well be in ‘dual build’ territory with this kit. It could also be argued that the Beaufort is an under-represented aircraft type on many workbenches, so it must surely qualify as a suitable dual build subject for later in the year?

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 7

It's sobering that both schemes in the kit represent Beauforts that were lost with all their crews. Given the  horrendous loss rates in Beaufort squadrons. 

Looking forward to the kit. Definitely on my must have list.

• Like 4

I was cerainly going to get at least one of these when released and fancied the 217 Squadron scheme.  I'm going to have to get at least two now so that I can build them in both schemes.  The staggering courage and sacrifice of these men demands it. :poppy:

• Like 9

48 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

I was cerainly going to get at least one of these when released and fancied the 217 Squadron scheme.  I'm going to have to get at least two now so that I can build them in both schemes.  The staggering courage and sacrifice of these men demands it. :poppy:

Nicely said & something to stop & think about what is represented in them as we chase the next new kit. :poppy:

Steve.

• Like 11