1/72 - Bristol Beaufort Mk.1/1A by Airfix - Mk.1 released - new Mk.1A boxing in Summer 2024

Homebee

1 hour ago, PhoenixII said:

Was told last Sunday at Bolton release is schedualed for September 2020.........slow boat permitting!

I'm guessing this means the Special Hobby kit becomes a source of conversion parts and decals soon?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IanC said:

So enough time to build everything else in the stash and clear the decks...

If only...   :fraidnot:   It just gives me time to do research and come up with two dozen interesting schemes that I just have to build.    Looks like there's another rabbit hole headed in my direction. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, stever219 said:

Modeldecal didn't cover the Beaufort, in fact I think all of their subjects were 1950s onwards.

Except for the couple of before the war ones, not sure if there was a Hawker Hart one but there was a Bristol Bulldog (and couple other fighters) sheet

There were a couple of very early Modeldecal sets (in the first 10) that covered WW2 Luftwaffe and WW2 USN subjects, but otherwise Dick Ward didn't publish any WW2 sheets (he designed plenty for FROG, Matchbox and Airfix). Set 31 was the pre-war RAF fighters (Bulldog, Siskin, Fury and Gladiator) and Set 108 was the Hart family.

• Like 1

Just found out about the new Beaufort and I say well done to Airfix - the world has been in need of a decent Beaufort since....well....forever really. I might have preferred a 1/48 kit but a whole new tool Beaufort for around £20 is to be applauded.

I guess seeing as I put a Beaufort down on my suggestion card at the Airfix stand at Telford in 2018 I think I'll take most of the credit for this announcement. 🙂

If they follow my other suggestions then we can look forward to a new tool Lockheed Hudson and P-40F/L next. You can thank me when they both duly arrive.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Hi All, 

Having recently picked up a Tasman DH Rapide 'upgrade' boxing (very impressed) I noticed that Jays models already does some AM accessories and decals - albeit for the ancient Frog kit maybe they could be of use here.... http://www.jaysmodelkits.com/jaysmk/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=beaufort

TT

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gordon J said:

I guess seeing as I put a Beaufort down on my suggestion card at the Airfix stand at Telford in 2018 I think I'll take most of the credit for this announcement. 🙂

If they follow my other suggestions then we can look forward to a new tool Lockheed Hudson and P-40F/L next. You can thank me when they both duly arrive.

To anyone going to Telford this year: Could you please suggest a 1/72 Blackburn Shark to Airfix? One with RCAF options, too, please!

Chris

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, dogsbody said:

To anyone going to Telford this year: Could you please suggest a 1/72 Blackburn Shark to Airfix? One with RCAF options, too, please!

Chris

I'd much rather they do a Blackburn Blackburn .... Mk.II natch!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

One change I would like to see is separate exhaust collector rings like Airfix has done for the rest of their new Bristol engine powered kits, like the Blenheim, Beaufighter, Swordfish and Gladiator. The one piece cowling and ring on the new Wellington is okay, but the two piece cowling/ring on the Lancaster B.II is a bit of a letdown though.

Chris

• Like 1

Although some of the blablabla can be a bit overdone, do any of the other mainstream manufacturers show the state of progress of their up and coming models?  I must admit, I kinda like it.

YMMV, of course.

Regards

Martin

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

I tried to preorder but was greeted with a 45 pound transport fee. Airfix doesn’t care for overseas (North sea-overseas) customers it appears :(

Shipping to the USA 🇺🇸 is only £25 and free if you place an order over £200. 

20 minutes ago, occa said:

Have they forgotten the hatch on the left fuselage side in front of the turret ?

I’m sure there’s a part so you can have the hatch closed; they just haven’t put it on the model.

There's no corresponding hatch visible on the sprues and it is still missing on the 3D renders.

Looks like the mold makers just followed this.

Edit:

JWM found it, see his post below

34 minutes ago, occa said:

There's no corresponding hatch visible on the sprues and it is still missing on the 3D renders.

Looks like the mold makers just followed this.

Martin, I think it is on this frame, namely the upper one, right side, second from right "column", part second from bottom is a squarish with opening (window), which looks like the missing hatch :)

d_exclusive_first_look_at_test_frames_fr

• Like 3

I wonder if the way the engine nacelles have been designed make it possible to tool for the PW Twin Wasps of the Mk II? It would require a new sprue although we aren't seeing any sign of that just now.:hmmm:

Mike.

• Like 1