1/72 - Bristol Beaufort Mk.1/1A by Airfix - Mk.1 released - new Mk.1A boxing in Summer 2024

Homebee

On 06/01/2020 at 16:37, tonyot said:

Be nice if it was followed up by a Mk.Ia and a Mk.II plus Aussie versions,

If there is going to be a follow up release I'd say MkIa odds on, but for MkII plus Aussie versions you'll be looking at aftermarket conversions.

Airfix 3D renders generally give a good clue to future variants, with optional parts being rendered in a darker colour so..

Initial release options:-

Dark trailing edge extensions aft of the nacelles so should be separate optional parts for early/late configuration

Dark rear fuselage hatch so poseable open/closed and possibly optional with beam Vickers K guns

Dark cowling gills so optional closed/open position

Dark DF diamond, so possible raised/stowed option

Separate rudder, posable

Dark exhaust along side of cowling, I'm not aware of any different style exhaust fitted to the Taurus so presume this is just indication of a separate part

Not immediately obvious but would assume the under nose gun is optional fit

Later release options:-

Separate turret insert, darker navigator/main canopy and collapsable D/F Diamond, so possible later twin browning turret, twin nose gun armament and streamlined DF loop for MkIa

Dark carb intakes, so possible Vokes filters for med based Beauforts

No indication of this , but an easy option for later MkIa's would be additional ASV aerials

Tailfin is integral with the fuselage, so no Aussie built versions with the extended fin

Nacelles aft of the cowling in base colour, so no changes for Twin Wasp engines, no MkII

19 hours ago, IanC said:

Be nice if they include markings for Kenneth Campbell VC.

Airfix have a track record for releasing a VC related option where available, so I'd think there is a good chance of this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

If there is going to be a follow up release I'd say MkIa odds on, but for MkII plus Aussie versions you'll be looking at aftermarket conversions.

Airfix 3D renders generally give a good clue to future variants, with optional parts being rendered in a darker colour so..

Initial release options:-

Dark trailing edge extensions aft of the nacelles so should be separate optional parts for early/late configuration

Dark rear fuselage hatch so poseable open/closed and possibly optional with beam lewis guns

Dark cowling gills so optional closed/open position

Dark DF diamond, so possible raised/stowed option

Separate rudder, posable

Dark exhaust along side of cowling, I'm not aware of any different style exhaust fitted to the Taurus so presume this is just indication of a separate part

Not immediately obvious but would assume the under nose gun is optional fit

Later release options:-

Separate turret insert, darker navigator/main canopy and colapseable D/F Diamond, so possible later twin browning turret, twin nose gun armament and streamlined DF loop for MkIa

Dark carb intakes, so possible Vokes filters for med based Beauforts

No indication of this , but an easy option for later MkIa's would be additional ASV aerials

Tailfin is integral with the fuselage, so no Aussie built versions with the extended fin

Nacelles aft of the cowling in base colour, so no changes for Twin Wasp engines, no MkII

Airfix have a track record for releasing a VC related option where available, so I'd think there is a good chance of this.

The 3D render on the 72 news site (which I think is scanned from Airfix Magazine) does appear to have the hatch open and a gun poking out.  Wouldn't it be a Vickers K gun though?

• Thanks 1

This is probably the pick of the 2020 range for me personally (I have beaten the old Vulcan into shape in the last few years but never got far through my SH Beaufort). Got to be 217 squadron in TSS with black undersides for me, although I'd be seriously tempted by a Malta based aircraft...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Didn’t Airfix provide seperate tail fins on their new tool Beaufighter? They may adopt a similar approach to this Beaufort and thus (hopefully) provide the provision for a wider Aussie fin. 

Cheers.. (a fingers crossed) Dave 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

. south of where

Up north. :P ;)

Sorry Ed, couldn't resist. :)

I for one am thrilled at this news, 489 had them for a short time before they stole them back & subbed in Blenheim's. So pleased I never managed a Frog or SH one now, I held the faith. :D

Steve.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Didn’t Airfix provide seperate tail fins on their new tool Beaufighter?

They did Dave, but the alternate fin was shown on th CAD drawings. The fin on the Beaufort CAD is shown integral with the fuselage, so no alternate part for this tooling.

If you're wanting an Aussie one (or a P&W powered one) you'll be looking at aftermarket to convert the new kit ( @Ed Russell ??) or stick with the High Planes or Special Hobbies kits.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Now that's a pity.  I had a hankering for an all-white FAA T.II.  I had visions of Airfix milking this kit for at least 3 boxings (Mk.I, Mk.II and Aussie variants).

Thanks for a very useful analysis of what's in store for us.

• Like 3

Some lovely renders there. it would be interesting to see if they do a sit down before they start working on the models as to how they could best split up parts to make several versions. I agree with @Seahawk, they could have created a number of versions from the same basic tooling if they had thought to design it as such from the outset. 

On the flipside, you could always say they are keeping that niche open for the aftermarket parts and decals.

• Like 1

On 07/01/2020 at 12:35, Dave Swindell said:
On 06/01/2020 at 22:26, IanC said:

Be nice if they include markings for Kenneth Campbell VC.

Yep, there you go Ian (though it is still stc)

2 hours ago, occa said:

a04021_bristol-beaufort-mki_schemes.jpg