1/72 - Bristol Beaufort Mk.1/1A by Airfix - Mk.1 released - new Mk.1A boxing in Summer 2024

Homebee

On 1/6/2020 at 12:37 PM, klr said:

The only problem with this new kit is that Airfix is unlikely to sell enough to ever consider doing the Australian versions, what with the different engines, props and larger tail.

If they don't, I predict the aftermarket will  gear  up to provide the cowls, exhausts, engines, props, and tail; if not; that's OK with me, as I can rob my spares bin or cannibalize my Special Hobby kit. Just give me an accurate airframe and a halfway decent cockpit/wheel bays- I can do the rest, or I shouldn't call myself a modeler.

Mike

• Like 6

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

Is that a Temperate Sea Scheme over Mediterranean Blue? V-P

Looks like TSS over black on my big screen computer. The images are quite pale though - that DG/DE isn't very, but it does look very smart.

Andy

The top profile is representing Campbell VC but Paul Lucas has questioned if it should be OA-T not X and there is also uncertainty if the codes are perpendicular to the in flight line or follow the slant of the underside demarcation line, photos of 22 Squadron machines tend to show both ? I discovered this when researching for my special hobby model which still remains on my shelf of doom. 😀

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I just hope Airfix get's the bomb bay doors right for the torpedo.

49363038577_3d7e92d5e3_c.jpg

Chris

Looks like a bit of silvering under that forward stencil decal...😂 I will get my 🧥 

Excellent image of matelots and crab fats working together though, wouldn’t  have happened in my day ! 😀

Edited by mick b
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, mick b said:

Excellent image of matelots and crab fats working together though, wouldn’t  have happened in my day ! 😀

Amazing what can happen in a war.

• Like 1

Source: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/a-new-decade-of-airfix-modelling-excellence

Beaufort headlines new aircraft tooling announcements

h_new_airfix_bristol_beaufort_model_kit_

One of the undoubted highlights of the new range, the Bristol Beaufort had the distinction of being the only monoplane produced for the Royal Air Force designed from the outset as a torpedo bomber and reconnaissance platform. This is a computer rendered 3D development image from the project

(...)

Undoubtedly, the kit which will have attracted the most interest following Monday’s range launch will have been the unexpected addition of a new Bristol Beaufort Mk.I tooling in 1/72nd scale, an aircraft which has the distinction of being the only monoplane produced for the Royal Air Force designed from the outset as a torpedo bomber and reconnaissance platform.

Entering Royal Air Force service with No.22 Squadron Coastal Command in January 1940, the Beaufort proved to be a rugged and highly manoeuvrable aircraft, although its engines proved to be something of an ongoing problem. Initially employed laying mines in enemy waters, Beauforts would later mount attacks against the German battleships Scharnhorst and Gneisenau and the heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen, however, in the European theatre, the aircraft would operate more usually in a medium bomber role.

(...)

j_new_airfix_bristol_beaufort_model_kit_

Representing the fact that these new models are still at quite an early stage of development, this next series of images feature computer rendered 3D images of the Beaufort (...)

k_new_airfix_bristol_beaufort_model_kit_

aa_view_all_the_model_highlights_of_the_

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Nick Nichols said:

From Scalemates:

"217 Sqn. L9866, MW-J | RAF St. Eval February 1941 | Extra Dark Sea grey, Dark Green, Night"

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-a04021-bristol-beaufort-mki--1260478

Sounds like confusion creeping in to me. Too early to be Dark green/Ocean Grey & afaik, Dark Green & Extra Dark Sea grey were never a thing, I immediately took it as TSS over Night when I saw it.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Sounds like confusion creeping in to me. Too early to be Dark green/Ocean Grey & afaik, Dark Green & Extra Dark Sea grey were never a thing, I immediately took it as TSS over Night when I saw it.

Steve.

Steve,

I'm with you on this.

Kits at War K7/7 gives the following markings options:

N1357/AO-I of 22 Sqn RAF at RAF Thorney Island in 1940 in Dark Green (DG)/Dark Earth (DE) over Sky

L9802/GX-S of 415 Sqn RCAF at RAF Thorney Island in 1941 in Extra Dark Sea Grey (EDSG)/Dark Slate Grey (DSG) over Night

Xtradecal X72079 gives the following markings options:

N1172/AW-S of 42 Sqn RAF at Wick but detached to Thorney Island in 1940/1941 in DG/DE/Sky

AW196/BX-Y of 86 Sqn RAF at North Coates but detached to St Eval in 1941 in ESDG/DSG/Sky

L9802/GX-S of 415 Sqn RCAF at RAF Thorney Island in 1941 in EDSG/DSG over Night (the same aircraft as in the Kits at War sheet).

My interpretation of the colour schemes are that the aircraft started off during 1940 in DG/DE/Aluminium (thanks to Heather Kay for the reminder), before transitioning to DG/DE/Sky which was totally unsuitable for Coastal Command operations, they transitioned to the more suitable EDSG/DSG/Sky finish during 1940 and by late 1941 this had transitioned to ESDG/DSG/Night which was best suited to night time Coastal Command operations.

Whilst the decal sheets are not a definitive source, the schemes depicted in those sheets chime with my understanding of how Coastal Command schemes developed.

Are people getting confused because Dark Slate Grey is actually a green colour?

I must say I'm looking forward to this kit and intend to model an aircraft from Thorney Island .

Edited by Wez
Punctuation
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Wez said:

My interpretation of the colour schemes are that the aircraft started off during 1940 in DG/DE/Sky which was totally unsuitable for Coastal Command operations

Actually, Coastal Command aircraft were painted aluminium underneath. That changed to Sky during the summer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Actually, Coastal Command aircraft were painted aluminium underneath. That changed to Sky during the summer.

Heather Kay,

I'd quite forgotten about the initial scheme, thanks for the reminder.  Post suitably edited.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mick4350 said:

What is the bracket on the fuselage above the nose of the torpedo ?

It’s here on this Australian example too

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/slideshow.php?set_albumName=Beaufort-A9-141

but google-fu also shows contemporary examples without it too. Initially I thought it was a step but the photo above doesn’t show a hatch, so that seems a bit odd. Is it a bracket for an instrument dial? If so what and why?

Trevor