1/72 - Bristol Beaufort Mk.1/1A by Airfix - Mk.1 released - new Mk.1A boxing in Summer 2024

Homebee

Oh goody,.....I`ll be buying a crate full of these! Be nice if it was followed up by a Mk.Ia and a Mk.II plus Aussie versions,

Thanks Airfix,

Tony

• Like 4

Let’s see...

Right scale for me? Check.

Right period for me? Check.

Filling a gaping hole for those interested? Check.

On pre-order? Check.

Now, when do we get a new tool Fairey Battle? :laugh:

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, mick b said:

I will give up trying to finish mine 😀

Having read this, I am now seriously considering not starting mine, and selling it off.

Why did I ever buy it? "It seemed like a good idea at the time": For many years, there was no prospect of anyone releasing a modern "long-run" tooling, and Special Hobby was the best (nay only) realistic alternative.

The only problem with this new kit is that Airfix is unlikely to sell enough to ever consider doing the Australian versions, what with the different engines, props and larger tail.

1 hour ago, mick b said:

I will give up trying to finish mine 😀

I'm around halfway through a SH Beaufort, but don't see why I won't finish it. Although it's been a while since I last touched it, I seem to remember quite enjoying the build.

I also have another SH kit plus two High Planes examples, but I'm sure I'll tackle these too. One day......

45 minutes ago, klr said:

The only problem with this new kit is that Airfix is unlikely to sell enough to ever consider doing the Australian versions, what with the different engines, props and larger tail.

But the good news is that once there's a decent base kit it becomes viable for someone to do a decent after-market conversion.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

But the good news is that once there's a decent base kit it becomes viable for someone to do a decent after-market conversion.

The more conversions and aftermarket themes there are, the more Airfix will sell.

If this is to be a Mk.I, with Taurus engines, then a Mk.II can be made with new engines PW R-1830 Twin Wasp

T Mk.II with the turret faired over.

then on to the Aussie V with Twin Wasp and Curtiss props

Va different props

etc.....

There are at least 6 complete down south and the one in the UK (couple bits in the USA)

good stuff

PM 

• Like 3

Fantastic news, and given the interest it rather seems to vindicate those of us who have been clamouring for one for so many years.

I too would rather a DAP version, but I agree with those suggesting the aftermarket will look after us. I have two subjects in mind so I'll be ok if, once I've completed an Airfix Mk.I with the requisite AM parts and posted the end result on BM, they then release an RAAF boxing 🤣

Now I somehow feel less pressure to carry on with my FROG...

• Like 1

I'm in for at least a couple - I'm pretty sure that there will be an aftermarket DAP conversion set released not long after the kit arrives on the market, even if Airfix doesn't give us an Australian one as a later release.

• Like 1

Having requested a Beaufort from Airfix at Telford every year for goodness knows how long (and been led to believe it could never happen), I shall be buying several. 1 to replicate the Frog one I built a long, long time ago, 1 as Campbell’s 22 Sqdn aircraft, 1 as a 39 Sqdn aircraft in Malta, 1 to convert to an RAAF Mk.VIII, and ........... I’m sure I’ll think of other reasons!

Richard

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is a nice addition to Airfix range of early WW2 aircraft, it should be easier to build than the High Planes and Special Hobby offerings.

Should appeal to those interested in activities off the Norwegian coast in WW2 

21 hours ago, tonyot said:

Be nice if it was followed up by a Mk.Ia and a Mk.II plus Aussie versions,

Yes, yes, oh my, yes! I will be all over an Aussie Mk V, VI, VII, or VIII... won't even wait for one of these variants to be released- I'll gladly do the conversion; just need the larger fin...maybe, as I already have R-1830 cowlings and Curtiss Electric props!! So, how many cases will you be getting, T? (If Airfix can bring themselves to doing a Hampden and Stirling, it will be THE 1/72 scale trifecta!)

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Like 1