Airfix 2020 catalog - programme

Homebee

24 minutes ago, wombat said:

That middle one is new on me. Was a real one painted up as such?

If you Google 'Hawk KB799' you will see some lovely pictures of 155217 flying with the Canadian Lancaster.

Edit, bad internet here so missed the previous posts!

On another tack, the re-release of the Javelin seems barely mentioned, which is surprising given the amount of posts that go on about the unavailability and price of the kit.

Mind you it will be £60, be great to see if new boxart and decals will come with it.

Edited by 71chally

46 minutes ago, Botan said:

I found out, that there is more renders and camouflage schemes posted today on Airfix site.

For example  Hawk 100

It wasn't there yesterday.

Oh dear add two more Hawks to the want list (was one)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

Stupid question i know, but are the paperback copies of these free? I saw a few of them on the shelf in the magazine section of WHSmiths this morning, but although they had a barcode on them, there was no price clearly marked and im not one for picking up stuff without knowing how much it will be! 

£8 in WH Smith's...….

3 minutes ago, Shuttle said:

spacer.png

Looking at the release date and knowing that IBG have just announced both kits, could they be planned reboxes for this time next year, and so on the 2021 web page?

Andy

Playing detective

1 hour ago, Foxbat said:

Looking at the release date and knowing that IBG have just announced both kits, could they be planned reboxes for this time next year, and so on the 2021 web page?

Andy

Playing detective

It would surprise me if they were  the IBG ones, but they are due to publish CAD in the next few days, so we shall see. Anything else in the catalog not mentions (apart from the tractor)

There is an Asian company, Thunder something, which announced these two subjects in 1/72 in 2018 but has since gone quiet.  It has been suggested (without any real info as far as I can see) that these are the toolings Airfix will be using.  The IBG 1/35 kit has an incorrect tapered windscreen, we are yet to see what their 1/72 ones are like.  However if Airfix are showing CAD (with better windscreens) then I doubt that they are anything other than original Airfix toolings.  Shame it's not 1/76, but so it goes.

I've kinda fallen for the Scammell Pioneer after seeing a couple of builds of the old 1/76 tank transporter. It's got that go away look that the Defenders and Unimogs have. So I'll be looking to get one in  years time,

Nice to see some of the proposed scheme profiles and new CAD images for the new and reissued tools.

Unfortunately the additional images of the Sabre do not suggest a slat wing, however what is provided still looks to be a nice package and I’ll assume a cracking new box art will also help move these kits along. 

The Beaufort is also looking very nice and although I have a natural preference for an Aussie version, can still see myself picking up a couple of Mk.1 kits as both kit schemes look great. 

The Hawk 100 and 1/48 Gnat also include three decal choices each, which is a nice additional inclusion to these kits. 

As for the Spit Vc, I agree about the wide open canopy comments, but let’s get this kit in our hands as soon as possible, I have a large decal bank waiting to be used. 

Good show Airfix.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

It is pleasing to see that they have finally decided to model an F-35... but sadly as a quickbuild kit. Hopefully it encourages airfix to get serious about a B variant in 72nd or even better, 48th.

Being a "topical" airfraft currently, there is a market.

Speaking of topical, they are ahead of the game with the new TOPGUN2 movie, which is a smart move. As for using old tat moulds...:thumbsdown:

On 1/6/2020 at 5:12 PM, RussellE said:

I thought the prices for the Spitfire Vc & Beaufort are in line with what retailers are currently charging for similar kits 

Using that logic is like walking into McDonalds and being charged the same as a Michelin Star meal "a burger is still just a burger"?

Airfix are not at the same level as other manufacturers (that will come as a surprise to the fanbois) so they certainly cannot charge the same.

5 minutes ago, hairystick said:

It is pleasing to see that they have finally decided to model an F-35... but sadly as a quickbuild kit. Hopefully it encourages airfix to get serious about a B variant in 72nd or even better, 48th.

Being a "topical" airfraft currently, there is a market.

Speaking of topical, they are ahead of the game with the new TOPGUN2 movie, which is a smart move. As for using old tat moulds...:thumbsdown:

Using that logic is like walking into McDonalds and being charged the same as a Michelin Star meal "a burger is still just a burger"?

Airfix are not at the same level as other manufacturers (that will come as a surprise to the fanbois) so they certainly cannot charge the same.

Airfix have some very average kits but also some absolute gems. They're not the best on the market but they're pretty consistent and the newest kits are pretty accurate. 

They're the only ones producing 1/72 V Bombers of a good quality so they're my favourite.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Airfix have some very average kits but also some absolute gems. They're not the best on the market but they're pretty consistent and the newest kits are pretty accurate. 

They're the only ones producing 1/72 V Bombers of a good quality so they're my favourite.

I'd agree with their larger stuff (1:14th Mossie & Tiffie) being gems, but the regular kits...

12 minutes ago, hairystick said:

I'd agree with their larger stuff (1:14th Mossie & Tiffie) being gems, but the regular kits...

Victor is an absolute gem, I've heard their Shackletons are great. So yeah larger stuff definitely.

Smaller stuff is aimed at a different subset of modellers. For the most part their kits are very good if you want an externally accurate fairly simple kit. Eduard is for people who enjoy a lot of detail.

For me, I like to cut up big kits and mod them. 

Smaller stuff, a bit of a mix. So again another reason I like Airfix

Edited by Adam Poultney

2 hours ago, hairystick said:

I meant as compared to other Airfix kits of the same calibre, so apples with apples methinks 🙂

Edited by RussellE

9 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

I suppose it's a question of how you define 'best'. Some manufacturers may offer finer details but that can add additional complexity and frustration - I'm afraid I've long since given up trying to add PE rudder pedals to a 1/72 cockpit! Others may be easier to put together but lack character.

The Lancaster, B-17, Wellington, B-25, Whitley, Kate, Defiant, He 111, Dornier 17 and Stuka in 1/72 are all cracking kits, accurate (as far as I know) and with good detail. I would suggest they are comparable to those produced by any other manufacturer. The 1/48 Hurricane and Blenheim are also very good with an incredible amount of cockpit detail. These are just the ones I have had chance to build or inspect recently.

Airfix don't always get it right as we know, and some earlier new tools were pretty dire. In fact I hated the relatively new 1/72 Blenheim as it fought me all the way. But I keep coming back. There's just something about Airfix's product. Hasegawa are great and fit really well but are somehow a bit soulless. Eduard are great with incredible detail but too fiddly. Tamiya are great and fall together but are overpriced. Revell are great and cheap but come in dodgy boxes...

Weirdly I also love Airfix's soft plastic that you can shape almost by blowing on it. And the box art just keeps on getting better.

Is it just nostalgia bleeding through? Am I a 'fanboy'? ^_^ Maybe. Anyway, these are just my opinions. But I do think Airfix is now up there with the others.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Victor is an absolute gem, I've heard their Shackletons are great.

It's not, ploughed in panel lines, strange soft plastic and some detail issues.  Revell knocks it into a cocked hat in those regards.

It's an ok kit, but not a great kit.

The Victor is outstanding, and to my mind is up there with other manufacturers.

Kit prices are strange things that I can never get my head around, and to my mind Airfix are punching above their weight in this regard - but people are paying these prices and so the market has dictated so. 

I would never imagined £60 for the 72nd Vulcan and 48th Javelin, but they are the only game in town, and certainly in the case of the Jav, very nice kits.

52 minutes ago, IanC said:

The Lancaster, B-17, Wellington, B-25, Whitley, Kate, Defiant, He 111, Dornier 17 and Stuka in 1/72 are all cracking kits, accurate (as far as I know) and with good detail. I would suggest they are comparable to those produced by any other manufacturer.

The Swordfish is an amazing kit, every bit as good in 1/72 as the Tamiya is in 1/48. The Gladiator is very good, by far the best Gladiator kit on the market until the new ICM 1/32 came along.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

It's not, ploughed in panel lines, strange soft plastic and some detail issues.  Revell knocks it into a cocked hat in those regards.

It's an ok kit, but not a great kit.

The irony being that the Revell kit is substantially less accurate than the Airfix (especially the mk 2)

• Thanks 1

Interesting that the 'new Tool' description has been removed from both the Top Gun P51 and F18, suggesting these might just be the 'old' Airfix kits with specific markings (The parts count for the F-18 matches the legacy one, although the dimensions don't)

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/large-starter-set-mcdonnell-douglas-f-18-hornet.html

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2020/top-gun-f-18-hornet-maverick.html

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1