Airfix 2020 catalog - programme

Homebee

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2020 at 8:58 PM, Ratch said:

And that's the way the Toy Trade works - cash in on the latest buzz

And not the only one.

In nowadays, everything is sacrificed on the altar of profit!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Source: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/victoria-cross-beaufort-exclusive

The sky is ours!

r_airfix_mcdonnell_douglas_f15a_nato_tig

Don’t even think about coming to fight if a McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle is in the air

We end this latest Workbench update by featuring a forthcoming kit from our current Starter Set range, one which presents an American air superiority jet which was based in Europe during the Cold War era – this one also happens to sport a rather distinctive tail. The McDonnell Douglas F-15A Eagle was a single seat, all weather air superiority fighter, which at the time, was the product of one of the most expensive military programmes in history. The resultant aircraft may have been the cause of heated debate during its development, but when it eventually entered service, was without doubt one of the truly great combat aircraft of the post war era.

Designed around the fighter pilot with the intention of producing an aircraft which would allow him to dominate the skies, the F-15 was known colloquially as the ‘Ultimate MiG slayer’, as it provided the USAF with a fighter which was without equal and one which quickly became the aircraft against which all future fighter designs would be judged. Despite being in service for more than forty years, the F-15 Eagle is still a formidable combat aircraft and is even being considered for further upgrade to keep it in front line service for many years to come. The last of the original A series fighters were finally retired in September 2009, but not before they had assured the reputation of this magnificent aircraft.

s_airfix_mcdonnell_douglas_f15a_nato_tig

A special scheme applied to this early USAF F-15A Eagle to commemorate its home base hosting the 1981 NATO Tiger Meet, the already handsome profile of the Eagle is enhanced further by the addition of this stunning tail.

This particular aircraft is in the colours of the 53rd Tactical Fighter Squadron, 36th Tactical Fighter Wing, based at Bitburg in Germany, with these aircraft being some of the most capable to be based in Europe. 75-0053 was one of the first four F-15A Eagles to arrive in Europe in February 1977, one of the aircraft delivered to Bitburg to act as a maintenance familiarisation aircraft ahead of the main force of F-15s. The much larger ‘Operation Eagle Ready’ contingent of 23 Eagles arrived towards the end of April 1977, following a concerted period of training in the US – the idea behind this development was that Bitburg’s new F-15A Eagles were fully combat ready as soon as they arrived in Europe. Their arrival would prove significant as a strong deterrent force during a particularly volatile period of world history.

The scheme featured on this aircraft made it one of the most photographed military aircraft in the world during 1981, as it was one of the stars of that year’s NATO Tiger Meet event, which was held at the aircraft’s home base in Germany. Although this was a special commemorative scheme to celebrate holding the event at Bitburg, this aircraft was fully operational and would have been seen flying sorties over Germany in these markings for a short time. As nothing could match the Eagle in the air combat arena, this highly distinctive scheme didn’t really place the aircraft at a real visual disadvantage during sorties, but definitely must have made pilots feel like they were almost aviation celebrities when flying the ‘Tiger Jet’.

t_airfix_mcdonnell_douglas_f15a_nato_tig

Full painting instructions for a kit which will be a popular addition to the Starter Set range

This beautiful new kit marks the welcome return of this classic fighting aeroplane to the Airfix range and as one of our popular Starter Set releases, (this one is a Large Starter Set) will come complete with glue, two brushes and six acrylic paints, everything you could need to build this beautiful kit as a standalone project. If you like your modern jets to look just that little bit different, this may well be the next build project for you. McDonnell Douglas F-15A Eagle A55311 is scheduled to be available by the end of September and with its smart tiger tail, should not be difficult to spot in your local model store.

V.P.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2020 at 6:48 PM, Ratch said:

I think you mean Bismarck/Tirpitz, Scharnhorst was a different tooling. 

I like 1/600 too 😍

No I meant the Bismark/Sharnhorst KITS. Not "kit" and are fully aware of that they are different toolings... ;)

Cheers/André 

On 9/5/2020 at 7:34 PM, alt-92 said:

It's what keeps the central heating on here, and food on the table.

And what about Ethics my friend? Have we forgotten them for the sake of profit? Don't answer it's a rhetorical question.

4 hours ago, Shalako said:

And what about Ethics my friend? Have we forgotten them for the sake of profit? Don't answer it's a rhetorical question.

Bearing in mind recent decision making at AK Interactive it is a very relevant question.

Edited by Truro Model Builder
  • Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 2:51 PM, Shalako said:

In nowadays, everything is sacrificed on the altar of profit!!!!!

Presumably you live in a different universe to the one where Hornby is slowly bleeding to death from years of losses.

The only reason that ANY of these businesses can exist is that some investors somewhere have a reasonable hope of being able one day to turn a profit.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Shalako said:

Don't answer it's a rhetorical question.

Still going to :P

Of course, my reply was slightly cynical. 

There is however the factor to consider when calling something an 'ethical' manufacturer or company (That in itself is already a marketable term, just like 'green'. - see the current crop of tree-planting initiatives with sponsorship.)

One could also say in these times that being able to pay the wages of your staff without resorting to 'furlough' - in other words, let the state pay for subsistence level benefits without cost to your shareholders - might be the ethical thing to do.

But that's more of a philosophical discussion anyway which probably doesn't really belong here ;)

On 9/7/2020 at 12:34 PM, alt-92 said:

But that's more of a philosophical discussion anyway which probably doesn't really belong here ;)

No indeed, except to say that without it many of us, including myself, would probably be unemployed now.

On 6/16/2020 at 9:54 AM, Albeback52 said:

Just checked Airfix website. Definitely says number of parts 116. Obviously (and thankfully),, not the ancient 1961 kit.

Allan

On 6/16/2020 at 10:27 AM, PhantomBigStu said:

The new tool only has 75 parts

On 6/16/2020 at 10:51 AM, cmatthewbacon said:

Well, the old one has only 27, so unless they've included 4 of them in the pack, or a couple of old tools and a new tool, it ain't that one either... The Fujimi only has 85 parts, so if the Airfix new tool has 75, it's pretty hard to see how you can GET 116 parts into a 1/72 Skyhawk...

best,

M.

On 6/16/2020 at 10:52 AM, Dave Fleming said:

If it's not a typo on the website, it's intruiging

I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but there's a sprue shot on the Airfix page for this kit, and it's definitely the "new" Airfix tool. So where did the 116 parts come from? Who knows?

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/themes/top-gun/top-gun-a-4-skyhawk.html

a00501_top-gun-jester_s-a4-skyhawk_sprue

1 hour ago, Modelraynz said:

= Bonus tom cruise figurine included 😁

- will it be 'movie height' or 'actual height?' 😆

Wonder if they'll supply a box for him to stand on?

Paul Harrison

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Robert said:

I have never seen a Top Gun A-4B, so it's a what if.

Regards

Robert

Yep.  May be fun to do regardless in the aggressor scheme as new mold Airfix kits are great fun to build usually.  I might be late in pointing this out but there are sprue shots up of the F/A-18 Hornet, "MiG-28", "Maverick's" P-51D Mustang, and F-14A Tomcat over at the Airfix website.  The Hornet, MiG-28, and Tomcat look to be older molds and the Hornet looks to be either an F/A-18A or C model (the round intakes give it away), not the F/A-18E Super Hornet used in the movie.  Oh well, building all them together still would make for a pretty cool display, I think.

1 hour ago, Matthew1974 said:

Yep.  May be fun to do regardless in the aggressor scheme as new mold Airfix kits are great fun to build usually.  I might be late in pointing this out but there are sprue shots up of the F/A-18 Hornet, "MiG-28", "Maverick's" P-51D Mustang, and F-14A Tomcat over at the Airfix website.  The Hornet, MiG-28, and Tomcat look to be older molds and the Hornet looks to be either an F/A-18A or C model (the round intakes give it away), not the F/A-18E Super Hornet used in the movie.  Oh well, building all them together still would make for a pretty cool display, I think.

It's the original 1981 Airfix Hornet

1 hour ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning

Do we know when the SpitMk VC will be available ?

Patrice

Would say about 2 - 4 weeks away as box art has broken cover - the box art reminds me of the Kitty strafing/bombing Tom Cruise in the film "Valkyrie"

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Uncle Dick
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Uncle Dick said:

Would say about 2 - 4 weeks away as box art has broken cover - the box art reminds me of the Kitty strafing/bombing Tom Cruise in the film "Valkyrie"

spacer.png

That is one nice box art! 

1 hour ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning

Do we know when the SpitMk VC will be available ?

Patrice

hopefully soon.... can't wait to see people's builds of one. I won't get one on release though as I'm getting two of the new Vulcans on release, hopefully they become available soon as well

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

Just had an email from Airfix saying that their 1/48 Javelin is back in stock. I seem to remember reading that several people had thought they'd cancelled it, so probably a nice surprise there.

They did cancel the repop of the 1/48th Sea Vixen

• Like 1

• 1 month later...