Airfix 2020 catalog - programme

Homebee

I wouldn't want to do a dogfight with the 0.8 release of the software.

(Don't mind me, I just don't like the F-35, I think it's a totally boring 13-a-dozen just-another-anonymous-grey dog of an aircraft but hey-ho)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Diggers11 said:

How can it be "Maverick's F/A-18 Hornet" when the character didn't fly it? (I haven't seen the new film, maybe he does) Its a bit worrying that Airfix don't know the difference between the two aircraft. It would be like selling a spitfire kit in a box branded as a Hawker Hunter. Although I see from the Hornby video on the Airfix Youtube channel that Scalextric are trying to pass off a LMP1 race car as a batmobile, so accuracy not so high a priority it seems.

And that's the way the Toy Trade works - cash in on the latest buzz - Joe Public won't know the difference (they have no knowledge of the subject involved) :whistle:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nheather said:

But plenty of trailers are out and Maverick is flying an F-18.

Cheers,

Nigel

He’s flying an F/A-18E and F - the Super Hornet, which is a different, slightly larger version of the earlier F/A-18s with big rectangular intakes. Close enough for casual fans (“Man, I’d love to make Maverick’s Hornet!”) but not really acceptable to folk like us (“Man, I’d love to build the F/A-18E  they had us believe Maverick flew!”).

In a perfect world it’d the the Academy Super Hornet and brand-new F-14. I’m still curious about the Skyhawk and F-5F/“MiG-28” as the aircraft on the Nurnberg box tops are not the same as the classic boxes and the placeholders on Airfix’s website.

It’s worth pointing out the Airfix Top Gun: Maverick Hornet box on their website uses identical art to the upcoming Revell tie-in F/A-18E kit, whereas the box seen at Nurnburg has new art.

I’m the kind of person who wants to build the F/A-18F they painted in Maverick’s colours and used to film the actors...complete with a set of 1/72 IMAX cameras on the RIO’s instrument panel coaming!

Edited by k5054nz
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

I love the fact the RAF call the F-35 ‘Dave’ cos it’s so boring! 😃

Hang on there buddy, I resemble that remark!!

Cheers.. Dave.

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

As the F-35 will do all of its shooting down in BVR perhaps you could explain why it has an internal cannon then.

F-35 will be used for ground attack as well.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

I love the fact the RAF call the F-35 ‘Dave’ cos it’s so boring! 😃

That stems from the fact that the debate concerning the future name of the JSF (as it was) coincided with the then Prime Minister's suggestion to just call him Dave.

15 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

F-35 will be used for ground attack as well.

Fair point, but I think it is easy to fall into the trap that all air-air combat will be BVR. We've been there before and for the Americans in particular there was a very rude and disastrous awakening.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

That stems from the fact that the debate concerning the future name of the JSF (as it was) coincided with the then Prime Minister's suggestion to just call him Dave.

Fair point, but I think it is easy to fall into the trap that all air-air combat will be BVR. We've been there before and for the Americans in particular there was a very rude and disastrous awakening.

If you’re flying in an F-35 the smart thing to do would be avoid dogfighting at all costs. It’s not designed for it.

not sure if this is the correct place to put this, but I can't see a 2021 thread anywhere so here goes:

Having just seen Midway (and thoroughly enjoyed it, FWIW) I thought it would be nice to build a SBD Dauntless. So off to the internet I went to research kits available in 1/72 (the one true scale 😜) and lo, I did discover the Dauntless has received very little in the way of modern love in this scale for such an important aircraft....

So, what I'm trying to say is, it would be nice if Airfix came to the crease and obliged with a new tool 1/72 Dauntless 😄

• Like 3

Like you, @RussellE, I too have not long seen the Midway flick and  am thinking along similar lines. With a good Wildcat currently available (even though you don’t see one through the entire movie?) we could do with a new Dauntless and a Devastator. Now throw in a new Aichi D3A Val and we’ll have all the main combatants from this early Pacific era in new tool form. As these three subjects were also kitted by Airfix in the mid 60’s they could also fall under the current practice of retooling some of their old back catalogue.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 6

Another question, why all the love for the new ‘Maverick’ Top Gun film and no love at all for ‘Midway’ from any kit manufacturer??
Cheers.. (scratch’n his head) Dave 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Like you, @RussellE, I too have not long seen the Midway flick and  am thinking along similar lines. With a good Wildcat currently available (even though you don’t see one through the entire movie?) we could do with a new Dauntless and a Devastator. Now throw in a new Aichi D3A Val and we’ll have all the main combatants from this early Pacific era in new tool form. As these three subjects were also kitted by Airfix in the mid 60’s they could also fall under the current practice of retooling some of their old back catalogue.

Cheers.. Dave 

5 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Another question, why all the love for the new ‘Maverick’ Top Gun film and no love at all for ‘Midway’ from any kit manufacturer??

Could not agree more, Dave! 🙂

Edited by RussellE
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Would love to see those as well. Maybe dropping some hints to them for the 2021/2022 season? That takes into account development time and 21/22 would be right for an anniversary year as well.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Because the manufacturers sense the buying public feels the need for speed !! Not crawling along in a TBD at 120mph waiting to be shot out of the sky. :) 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Mmm...

Where there any kits from Dunkirke, Saving Private Ryan or Die Untergang? What about Pearl Harbour?

Can it be that the Hollywood has "PR relations" with Airfix like they had with Revell concerning "The Intruder" ? When was the last time we saw kits related to a movie? Red Tails?

Remember movies like "Kelly's Heroes", MASH" and the related kits. Wonder if we will see any kits related to the coming "The Mighty Eight" from HBO? Or the rumoured "Dambusters" by Peter Jackson?

Cheers / André 

• Like 1

Top Gun: Maverick is going to be a much bigger film than Midway or Dunkirk. The original Top Gun took $356m for a budget of $15m and had a huge cultural impact*, so you can see why the studio is certainly issuing marketing licenses for it. The opportunities are going to be huge, and it will likely take rather more money at the box office than a lot of this year's summer releases.

*Let's face it, it put the term 'Top Gun' deep into the public consciousness. And Midway took $123m at the box office (for a budget of $100m).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Andre B said:

Can it be that the Hollywood has "PR relations" with Airfix

It's usually the other way round. You have to pay royalties to use the movie brand in your products. 
Now, it could be that someone connected to the new one remembered AFX doing kits from the first one, but seeing as the kits are old ones I'm guessing it ain't cheap...

The Final Countdown (Kirk Douglas RIP, Martin Sheene and USS Nimitz) also had some impact before Top Fun. Didn't both Revell and Hasegawa make F-14 Tomcat's imortal from that movie long before Top Gun? Remember kids buying the F-14 and USS Nimitz kits after seen that movie.

And when it comes to the Flight of Intruder didn't Revell make A-6 Intruder, F-4 Phantom connected to the movie? Strange that no one made any kit after the "Right Stuff".

Looking at Star Wars and Star Trek it took some time to the movie industry to find out how much money they could make on toys and kits...

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1