Airfix 2020 catalog - programme

Homebee

12 minutes ago, Rickoshea52 said:

Some of the prices are a bit much, no mention of price increases in any of the Airfix press releases I’ve seen 🤫

I take it you’ve not looked at the prices for the 2020 Hornby trains especially the limited edition clockwork loco. Airfix prices look cheap in comparison.

4 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

I take it you’ve not looked at the prices for the 2020 Hornby trains especially the limited edition clockwork loco. Airfix prices look cheap in comparison.

Yes, I have. I was quite into model railways in the recent past until the prices became too high for me to keep up, and not just the price of limited edition loco’s - Bachmann BR Mk1 coaches for example have rocketed in price. 

10 minutes ago, JE5TAR said:

This would make more sense, especially now there's a Academy/Airfix arrangement with the tanks. Would love the F-14 to be Academy as well. They need a new category though as they're not really new tools, just new to Airfix.

It could also mean the new Revell Easy Click kit is also the academy kit as that's branded a "easy assembly" kit. We will have to wait and see on that.

It would be odd for Airfix to release their old legacy Hornet as Super Hornet as they are almost completely different aircraft. There is definitely something different with the Top Gun Hornet and Mustang compared to the F-14, Skyhawk and F-5 (MiG) as they have different box styles.

• Like 1

A lot of mainly  48th stuff for fans of that scale, not much to 1/72nd that wows me afraid just a lot of re issues and those US jets (yawn : 🙂) Wonder if the Top GUN boxing of the Skyhawk will have the new tooling from a couple years ago.. Tom Cruises personal Mustang is a change from the norm. As for the Hawk 100 nice colour scheme chosen but I do wish they would sort out the undersized undercarriage doors for this kit and do something about the recessed detail. But the civvy Spit 14s get a big yes from me. So from that with G-FIRE being an option I foresee the Sea Fury re appear as G-FURY and a Hunter as G-HUNT !!   And I suppose the 48th Javelin is still a delta in that scale if not a Vulcan. But the 72 Vulcan will end up in my stuff certainly.  Still waiting for the 48th Tiger Moth though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, k5054nz said:

To me, New Airfix wouldn't rebox the old A kit and brand it as a Super. Surely?!! 

Also, Academy has very recently brought out a new F-14A kit that has been warmly received worldwide. If that's what's in the box for A00503 then I'll be very happy! No trawling eBay for movie decals!

I seriously doubt that a brand new kit like the Academy one would be available in a series 5 box at £19.99.. most likely this will be Airfix own tool. The cover shown on the website is the one originally used by Airfix in the late '80s

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Thanks, it didn't show on a search for "Indy"

Mark X: do you mean the narrow-body Jag 420 that they did? i.e. the car that was basically a revamp of the S-Type, but with a narrower version of the Mark X snout? 

171533-12155-pristine.jpg

I've never seen a 420G / Mark X by Airfix.

I used to have the full range of the Airfix 1/32 cars but sold them for a small moderate fortune. Th eVauxhall Victor 200 estate brought me £30.00 aabout 12 years ago for example.

I would love tosee them all back again and not done as rally cars !!

I am over the moon about the Beaufort, I’ve been waiting for a reasonably priced and readily available, good kit, option for ages! Same with the spit VC (my favourite mk) as trying to get hold of well priced AZ or Sword has been a challenge (though I have just bought Swords boxing of 5 seafires as 2 of the early mks have the spitfire mk Vc kit in them, so was planning on that... but plans change). 

I’m looking forward to more news on all the releases and for the website to be ok again! Evidently they weren’t banking on so much traffic. And I’m looking forward to the inevitable mass of new decal sheets for these options 😃 

Rob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wombat said:

Ah, could the two seat mustang be the garbled reason for the two seat spitfire rumour?

They could do a tie in with Top Gear, rather than Top Gun, and have a 2-seat Spit with a curly Jeremy Clarkson in the back seat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

I seriously doubt that a brand new kit like the Academy one would be available in a series 5 box at £19.99.. most likely this will be Airfix own tool. The cover shown on the website is the one originally used by Airfix in the late '80s

I'd say you are correct Giorgio, it is not labelled as a new tool release like the F/A-18E

3 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

So, do we think the 'Small Beginners' Spitfire and Firely are different kits to the other releases of the two types, perhaps based on the same research/Lidar?  You can't tell much from the Firely but the Small Beginners Spitfire looks like it's a pre-painted click together.

I wondered that, but same parts counts as the standard 1/72 kits though

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wombat said:

Ah, could the two seat mustang be the garbled reason for the two seat spitfire rumour?

Unlikely. Cruise's Mustang is not a dual control trainer, a TF-51D, either by original construction or conversion. It's just a single-seater which like a lot of airworthy P-51s has had the redundant and heavy military radio fit removed and the rear tank, and a simple passenger jump-seat substituted. This sort of thing is nothing like a Spitfire Tr.IX or the one-off Collings foundation TP-51C. It's exceedingly unlikely to have an instrument panel or controls in there. 

Edited by Work In Progress

22 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

They could do a tie in with Top Gear, rather than Top Gun, and have a 2-seat Spit with a curly Jeremy Clarkson in the back seat.

How about a Dogfight Triple with a Clarkson, a Hammond and a May?

“We’re on our own, we’re playing for time and it’s running out!”

Richard

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RichG said:

err... the price? the box art...? where it says Scale...? the clues are all there Tony 😉

The Javelin FAW.9/9R could have been a brand new, super detailed, 1/72 version... but at £59.99... for that you might expect some new box-art - not the 1/48 version.

Incidently I'd love to see some of the recent Airfix 1/48 masterpieces scaled down to 1/72 too - but whilst they sometimes scale-up, it seems Airfix don't go the other way.☹️

Rich

It was hard work accessing the site and I'm not as familiar with past releases in the smaller scale, but it's easier and clearer now. Probably demand. 

I mostly buy 1/32 aircraft, but the 1/72 Vulcan will be irresistible and the 1/48 Javelin repop something not to miss (the second time around?)  But yes, I'd love to see a more British Cold War jets in both popular scales. 

Tony 

16 minutes ago, tony.t said:

It was hard work accessing the site and I'm not as familiar with past releases in the smaller scale,

Yea Tony, you're quite right;  frustrating does not really cover it. I had the advantage of seeing last Friday's unofficially leaked announcement where the full list of Airfix new tool products was discussed here in forensic detail before the thread was ultimately, and probably correctly, pulled.  So no real surprises for me on the day except perhaps some expected subjects for re-release that were ultimately no-shows.

Still I'm happy enough especially when there's a new V-Bomber in the range; and there's always next year - when I am convinced we'll get a new 1/72 Canberra! 🙂

Best wishes

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Rickoshea52 said:

Some of the prices are a bit much, no mention of price increases in any of the Airfix press releases I’ve seen 🤫

Not only that, but this is the biggest price hike in the last 6 years, this won't end well, Series 1-4 were already overpriced.

26 minutes ago, Thomas V. said:

Not only that, but this is the biggest price hike in the last 6 years, this won't end well, Series 1-4 were already overpriced.

I thought the prices for the Spitfire Vc & Beaufort are in line with what retailers are currently charging for similar kits 

• Like 3

I'm quite chuffed about the Battle of France Hurricane I.  I was thinking of doing one so now I don't need to buy a separate decal sheet.  Having said that I'd have liked to do 'Cobber' Kain's aircraft 'Paddy III'.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RussellE said:

I thought the prices for the Spitfire Vc & Beaufort are in line with what retailers are currently charging for similar kits 

£19.99 for the Beaufort seems pretty reasonable when you compare it to the 17 quid they want for the ancient P-61 reissue.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, IanC said:

£19.99 for the Beaufort seems pretty reasonable when you compare it to the 17 quid they want for the ancient P-61 reissue.

Compare the price of the Beaufort to a similarly sized twin engines aircraft from just a year or two ago. Then compare the RN Buccaneer price to the newly announced RAF version - a £2 price hike. I’d like to see what’s in the box to justify the difference. 

1 hour ago, Rickoshea52 said:

Compare the price of the Beaufort to a similarly sized twin engines aircraft from just a year or two ago. Then compare the RN Buccaneer price to the newly announced RAF version - a £2 price hike. I’d like to see what’s in the box to justify the difference. 

It would be interesting to see what external factors are impacting them, the oil price must certainly hit them that's for sure, but if its to help get them back in the black to keep the company running then so be it, 

The online retailers usually have the kits at least a few pounds cheaper anyway, so it will be good to see what the market price levels out at too rather than the RRP

• Like 3