Airfix 2020 catalog - programme

Homebee

3 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

If I was to be a rivet counter I'd say they have added the skybolt pylon mounting blisters to '594 which I don't think had them but shhhh this box art is awesome. 

I suggest it's a better plan to include details which can easily be removed than to omit details that would be fiddly to add.  Airfix did the same thing with some details (eg the ALE-40 mounting plates) on the Buccaneer.

2 hours ago, tony.t said:

I'm jealous that you can actually tell what's in what scale.

err... the price? the box art...? where it says Scale...? the clues are all there Tony 😉

The Javelin FAW.9/9R could have been a brand new, super detailed, 1/72 version... but at £59.99... for that you might expect some new box-art - not the 1/48 version.

Incidently I'd love to see some of the recent Airfix 1/48 masterpieces scaled down to 1/72 too - but whilst they sometimes scale-up, it seems Airfix don't go the other way.☹️

Rich

Edited by RichG

6 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

I suggest it's a better plan to include details which can easily be removed than to omit details that would be fiddly to add.  Airfix did the same thing with some details (eg the ALE-40 mounting plates) on the Buccaneer.

This! This so much! 

They are easy to sand off, just hope they didn't miss it in the instructions. I doubt any instructions have been printed yet so they might yet catch this

@general melchett weren't you involved with this kit? Mind passing this on? Applicable to both schemes. 

Edited by Adam Poultney

Yes the website is still crashing. But I said to myself Britmodeller will have it covered and I'm right. I like the Sabre, I just like the F86.  But I think the Beaufort might just break my current model buying moratorium. So I'm happy with that. 

14 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

Any sign of the Wellington Mk.II yet?

Nothing announced this year, I'm afraid.

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

So, do we think the 'Small Beginners' Spitfire and Firely are different kits to the other releases of the two types, perhaps based on the same research/Lidar?  You can't tell much from the Firely but the Small Beginners Spitfire looks like it's a pre-painted click together.

I think Airfix may be exploring beginners kits that can be upgraded with additional detail parts to make a regular kit, and so sold to two different markets. These may be examples of this.

With the new armour in 1:72, Airfix appear to be saying they don't see a future for 1:76 armour.  If so, I agree with them.

I think this is a decent range of new releases for 2020, and there's more than enough to keep me going in 2020 at my present build rate. 

• Like 1

There are some real surprises in there for me, chief among them the Top Gun range - I am very, very excited for these. If they did actually tool a warbird two-seat cockpit for Maverick's Mustang then I'm automatically in for at least three kits!!!

The F-35B Quickbuild kit is a brilliant idea. I expect that will shift a lot of units.

I also see the reissued Spit XIV doing very well - a lot of UK enthusiasts have very fond memories of Spencer Flack and G-FIRE. What an inspired choice.

• Like 1

Just realised that the 2 Scammels that we’re mentioned in the leak didn’t appear today 

Is it coincidental that IBG have announced the same 2 kits, maybe a planned sharing didn’t get agreed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JE5TAR said:

Exactly the same number as their existing F-18a kit from the 80s. Suspect it's just that one with new decals.

I can't find a part count for the Academy F-18E, but their F-18F has 94 parts.

Assuming Airfix didn't just decide to slap a "new tool" tag on their ancient "A" model (which would also be the wrong version for the film), I'd bet  Academy's E and F have the same part count and Airfix have reboxed the 2017 Academy release.

Edited by Scott_
  • Like 1

Interestingly it seems Airfix are trying to cash in more on Top Gun 2's release, than the 80th anniversary of the BoB. 

Still, there's really only 2 new tooled kits that will seperate me from my 💰: Beaufort; & Spitfire Vc. 

Speaking of the Vc it's good that Airfix have done at least one new tool for us single engine prop fans in the one true scale 👍🙂

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Scott_ said:

I can't find a part count for the Academy F-18E, but their F-18F has 94 parts.

Assuming Airfix didn't just decide to slap a "new tool" tag on their ancient "A" model (which would also be the wrong version for the film), I'd bet  Academy's E and F have the same part count and Airfix have reboxed the 2017 Academy release.

To me, New Airfix wouldn't rebox the old A kit and brand it as a Super. Surely?!! 

Also, Academy has very recently brought out a new F-14A kit that has been warmly received worldwide. If that's what's in the box for A00503 then I'll be very happy! No trawling eBay for movie decals!

Edited by k5054nz

2 minutes ago, RussellE said:

there's really only 2 new tooled kits that will seperate me from my 💰: Beaufort; & Spitfire Vc. 

and I'm only in for the Sabre and the Vulcan. Different strokes...?

Rich. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RussellE said:

Interestingly it seems Airfix are trying to cash in more on Top Gun 2's release, than the 80th anniversary of the BoB. 

Who’s going to be spending money promoting a historical event? The studio that needs to claw back their investment or the Imperial War Museum/RAF museum? Those of us that know/care about the real BoB will buy the rereleased 1/24 Superkits (a Hurricane and some TechMod 303 Sqn decals for me...) and the mass market can buy Top Gun memorabilia...

beat,

M. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RichG said:

err... the price? the box art...? where it says Scale...? the clues are all there Tony 😉

The Javelin FAW.9/9R could have been a brand new, super detailed, 1/72 version... but at £59.99... for that you might expect some new box-art - not the 1/48 version.

I suppose some people looking at the Airfix site aren't candidates for appearing on You Bet with Matthew Kelly to indetify the scale of a kit based on box art or prices alone. Really not seeing the scale until drilling down to the specs. It really can't be difficult for Airfix to pop a scale in the corner of the thumbnail images and I'm pretty sure everyone else manages it. I certainly take the trouble to clearly state the scale when I list kits for sale on here or eBay. Or am I needlessly wasting four key presses?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Filler said:

I suppose some people looking at the Airfix site aren't candidates for appearing on You Bet with Matthew Kelly to indetify the scale of a kit based on box art or prices alone.

Oh come on..!  Most people looking at the new releases on the site today will be familiar with the existing Airfix range - unless they've got Stars In Their Eyes...! :giggle:

Edited by RichG
  • Haha 1

Some nice stuff here. Pleased about the Spitfire Vc - a gap in the market filled (not keen on the KP offering). G-FIRE looks gorgeous, but the wrong scale for me. Looking forward to the Paul Richey Hurricane. And the P-51D vs Me 262 dogfight double might tempt me too. 

Oddly I can't find the 1/72 P-51B that I wrote to Father Christmas about. I'm starting to have doubts about him...

Justin

• Haha 5

54 minutes ago, k5054nz said:

To me, New Airfix wouldn't rebox the old A kit and brand it as a Super. Surely?!! 

Also, Academy has very recently brought out a new F-14A kit that has been warmly received worldwide. If that's what's in the box for A00503 then I'll be very happy! No trawling eBay for movie decals!

This would make more sense, especially now there's a Academy/Airfix arrangement with the tanks. Would love the F-14 to be Academy as well. They need a new category though as they're not really new tools, just new to Airfix.

• Like 1