Airfix 2020 catalog - programme

Homebee

2 minutes ago, wombat said:

Pretty sure one of the previous boxings of the hurricane  has a two blade option though can’t recall which.

It was the first release of the fabric-wing kit, in series 2:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-a02067-hawker-hurricane-mki--173958

So this would be the first time that was released in series 1. The other series 1 kits (regular and starter sets) had the 3-bladed prop.

40 minutes ago, Diggers11 said:

I'm guessing this F/A-18 Hornet is the same as the newly announced Revell Easy Click kit (04965) as they seem to share the same Top Gun theme and even share artwork.

Revell

http://www.kitreviewsonline.de/revell-neuheiten-2020/

Airfix

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2020/top-gun-f-18-hornet-maverick.html

Maybe Airfix are releasing the E and Revell the F.

Revell's 'E kit has 110 parts, Airfix listed as 94. 

Pretty happy with the new items, the variety takes us back to their heyday.

i expect airfix have held held back on some items such as the vintage range as they are behind schedule on a few kits.

also the leak last week mentioned 1/24 bikes from Heller, can’t see any listed, not that I wanted any. 

Hope they all sell well and fund more new tools for next year 

Very excited with the new-tool Vulcan and Beaufort.  I failed to get a hold of the Javelin when first released some years ago so will definitely pick that up when it comes out this year.  As far as their armor releases, I plan on picking up the M7 Priest and maybe the M12.  

3 hours ago, RichG said:

spacer.png

Rich

I'm jealous that you can actually tell what's in what scale. 

Am guessing the Javelin is a 1/48 re-pop. Nice, but I'm still waiting for a Sea Vixen I preordered from Jumblies last March or so.

Will wait this time. Gives me time to catch up with the silver Walrus.

Tony 

5 minutes ago, tony.t said:

Am guessing the Javelin is a 1/48 re-pop.

It is. Series 12 and £59.99 being the top level clues. 

I agree it would be helpful if they'd put scale on the high level pages rather than just on the individual pages for each product, especially while the website is struggling under load

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Paul Bradley said:

Revell's 'E kit has 110 parts, Airfix listed as 94. 

21 minutes ago, JE5TAR said:

Exactly the same number as their existing F-18a kit from the 80s. Suspect it's just that one with new decals.

The Revell kit I am talking about has never been released. Its a new tool for 2020 but its a EASY CLICK kit.

2 minutes ago, Diggers11 said:

The Revell kit I am talking about has never been released. Its a new tool for 2020 but its a EASY CLICK kit.

I don't think there's any Airfix /Revell collaboration going on. I believe the Top Gun Airfix kit is just the old Airfix kit with new decals.

The two Cromwells are listed as 1/72.  At £29.99 ???   Really?  :yikes:  

36 minutes ago, IanHx said:

Given all the Top Gun kits, the new movie better not stink ! :)

The first one did.

1 minute ago, Enzo Matrix said:

The two Cromwells are listed as 1/72.  At £29.99 ???   Really?  :yikes:  

I think the price is wrong on a lot of things, many of the reissues have strange prices as well

• Like 1

2 hours ago, klr said:

Both no doubt based on the examples in Bovington, where there are a lot more potential subjects, not mentioning the Comet and Conqueror in particular. That's assuming Airfix is serious about 1:72 AFVs.

I hope they are, I'll buy loads if they produce them, I'm getting a real taste for British armour and the scale works for me much better than 1/35.

Vanilla by the way is in no way a slur, it was just a quick way to differentiate the standard kit from the others. The Firefly looks particularly tempting.

Andy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

21304f26a2ebee49765e59db2f58fe46.jpg

Box art checks out, I like it but I prefer the one from Telford. So we now know one scheme that will be included, XM594 in camo over gloss white (black radome and fin tip) I definitely approve of the choice. I'm fairly sure it's white looking at pictures of the aircraft in question from her Blue Steel days. 

If I was to be a rivet counter I'd say they have added the skybolt pylon mounting blisters to '594 which I don't think had them but shhhh this box art is awesome. 

Maybe the Skybolt mountings are for a future Black Buck release?

The sympathy I had for Airfix over the leaking of their 2020 release schedule is rapidly diminishing as their crappy website still isn't working properly. On top of that, the brief glimpse I did see before it crashed yet again left me wondering what scale any of it is. To me scale is absolutely vital information when listing model kits.

• Like 3

Well, I had rather set my heart on a new Mosquito with two-stage Merlins but the Beaufort announcement and the new Spitfire VC are very welcome indeed.  I wonder what these Quick Builds are like and whether the Spit VC is the same kit as the other release.  That could make the F-35 intersting as well if they're not too toy-like.  I am pleasantly surprised by the return to 1/72 armour.  I haven't built a tank for about forty years but am definitely interested in the Firefly and the Cromwell.  All in all, with the Vulcan, I'm pretty happy with this release schedule.  I know Airfix ae just keeping me keen until next year's Mosquito...

So, do we think the 'Small Beginners' Spitfire and Firely are different kits to the other releases of the two types, perhaps based on the same research/Lidar?  You can't tell much from the Firely but the Small Beginners Spitfire looks like it's a pre-painted click together.

3 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

So, do we think the 'Small Beginners' Spitfire and Firely are different kits to the other releases of the two types, perhaps based on the same research/Lidar?  You can't tell much from the Firely but the Small Beginners Spitfire looks like it's a pre-painted click together.

I looked close to both "Beginners" and normal kits of Firefly and Tiger - I assume some parts/sprues, like hull, and turret, are common, regular kits have more additional parts, like tools, ropes, etc. , and  "Beginners" may have simplified suspension.

Some interesting stuff, and a few items I'd like to see scaled up to 1:48 as well.  We can but hope, but I won't deny the 1:72 fans their moment in the sun :yes:

I'm really looking forward to the Vulcan's release myself, and may not be able to resist the urge to build it the moment I get one.  Hopefully, I'll also be able to finish it too! :yahoo:

• Like 3