Airfix 2020 catalog - programme

Homebee

The leaks rather took the shine off it but I'm rather happy with the three 1/72 new tools, particularly the Beaufort! I can see a few more RAAF Spitfire Vc's on the horizon too!

Interesting that Airfix are dipping their toes into the 1/35 tank world with their own tooling of the Cromwell Mk. IV. My only niggle being that it's the same variant as the Tamiya kit although a Mk. VI is on the cards.

Mike.

• Like 2

Airfix website verrrrrrrrry slooooooooow... loading.:waiting:  I wonder why that can be....🤔

Strange, considering there is nothing to see here as there are no cats left in the Airfix 2020 bag... how soon before we get the first... It's not what I wanted, its the wrong scale, there's nothing for me here.... always really interesting to know these things :popcorn:  

spacer.png

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

A good selection. Just a very minor quibble:

I hope they get the correct registration for the Edmonton-Canada Spitfire XIV. The artwork at the moment has CF-MGZ on the rudder:

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2020/supermarine-spitfire-mkxiv-race-schemes.html

And it should be CF-GMZ:

https://www.alamy.com/supermarine-spitfire-mkxive-tz138-cf-gmz-c1949-image69929550.html

I'll be getting of these, for sure. Flown by J. H. G. McArthur, D.F.C., born Tynemouth 1913.

Simon

Edited by Simon
added extra info

A few 'meh', some 'cool' and at least 2 'WOW!!' from me. Not a bad selection. Looks like they've covered enough bases just about everyone will have something to complain about :D 

Andy

• Like 1

Their website is veeeery slow at this moment, I suppose there are so many of us! So far, one Beaufort and two Mk. Vc Spits have found their way to my pre-order cart :yahoo:.

Edit: I will get them but not directly from Airfix; 17 GBP per delivery would have me pay 40 GBP for the three kits and 34 for s&h. Thank God we still have hobby shops...

But I'm very happy for the Beaufort!!!!

• Like 1

Blimey they're really banging out the Quickbuilds - the F-35 is a nice touch! Surprised that they are re-releasing the old Top Gun kits but its pretty cool nonetheless  - the dogfight doubles of 262/P-51 and A-4 and MiG-17 are as expected...

They have obviously been keeping track of whats been going for big bucks on ebay - vis Lanc II, Javelin, Bentley have all made a comeback - am a bit surprised that the 1/24 Spit Hurri and 109 are back though....

The Beaufort fills a nice gap and will sell well - hope they sort the canopy on the Spit Vc! - The 1/48 Sabre is a bit of a surprise I thought that had been done to death - look out for a Golden Hawks boxing anon.... 

And no new Hunter variants so the FR.10 must be next year! 

G-FIRE as a racing XIV. Here's my freaking money!!!!!

All in all well done Airfix - 

• Like 1

Some welcome  reboxings with a few brand new kits.

On the whole a fairly cautious release schedule for 2020.

Will the Beaufort be a big seller for Airfix?

Whatever our initial thoughts to this list  I hope the mix of some old and new releases is a success for Airfix this year (because they certainly need a good year of sales again).

Paul.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamesP said:

Maverick F-18 is listed as a "new tool"!? and  so is his P-51D (back seat?)

I saw that too. The F-18 in the new Top Gun movie is an E or F, which Airfix have never had in their range before.

26 minutes ago, MikeR said:

... the Cromwell Mk. IV. My only niggle being that it's the same variant as the Tamiya kit although a Mk. VI is on the cards.

Already listed: page 3.

No sign of the 1/72 Scammells, though.

• Like 1

Hmmm :( A only quarter scale new  is - Sabre ?! Academy and Hasegawa offer are still nice... and relative cheap... But i hope in attractive R.A.F./ Italian/Yugoslavian marking as are in 1/72 kit... 

No "car scale" aircraft.... No new 1/48 B-17, B-24, Lancaster... No 1/72 B-one, O/400, or Halifax and 1/72 B-29 Superfortress/Washington/Tu-4... Beaufort are great, but is in small scale :/ Spit Mk. Vc - good choice, but too in small scale.  Concorde prototype is interesing, but probably a only decal version ?

I think a traditional european kits producers are "in clinic dead" and great news coming from Asia and Middle Europe & Eastern Europe... 

Huh- Cromwell - nice... but Tamiya offer is shake and bake kit for few bucks...

For me - is still MUST BUY  a Vulcan - but there was announced in October :(

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, JamesP said:

.. and of course the Maserati Indy is back - I've just finished one (vintage boxing) last year!

It’s been in the catalogue before and not been released. I assume this time they’ve worked out the licensing rights.

d337be141c1ce1619ed726a2078a3e8c.jpg

That's an open canopy! I'm happy!

-also, lanc bii reissue? Yes pls

-1/24 109 reissue? Nice

-1/24 Spitfire reissue.... They were cheap anyway though

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

am a bit surprised that the 1/24 Spit Hurri and 109 are back though....

At a guess it's because it's the Eightieth anniversary of the Battle of Britain this year.

Dave

• Like 2