The Gannet that started it

When I returned to modelling after a loooong break a couple of years ago, it was figure modelling that attracted me back.  Then I found this in a cheap box at the Darlington show and my head was turned to the dark side :) 

This was the first aircraft model I made in 40+ years and really started my obsession, sorry hobby.....

Can't remember who the kit manufacturer was but painted in Tamiya and Revell acrylics.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 47

57 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Very nice indeed,..... you cannot go wrong with a Gannet! 

Well, I hate to be a contrarian, but i find you very much can, particularly trying to get enough weight in the nose...and don't even mention 'wing fold' 😖

But this has nailed it. Great work 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bangseat said:

Well, I hate to be a contrarian, but i find you very much can, particularly trying to get enough weight in the nose...and don't even mention 'wing fold' 😖

Thanks guys 👍. I put loads of weight in the nose but it still 'sits up' occasionally without help! 

2 hours ago, Bangseat said:

Oh,.... cannot say I had a problem with either on this Trumpy kit to be fair,.... but hey! 

DSCF7011.jpg

Sorry Matt,.... but couldn`t let that go unanswered mate,..... I love how you got a unit badge and tail flash onto yours,.....looks ace,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Impressive Gannet! It really is a beast.

What happened to the port aileron, though? Fully deflected while the stb one appears to be neutral?

Kind regards,

Joachim

Well spotted (I missed it!). They remain movable so I must have moved one while photographing it 😑

• Like 1

In 1/72 scale we have -

Frog (ancient and obviously not this model). So it will either be the Trumpeter or Revell kit.

Sword do an AEW Gannet as well.

Your's turned out really nice.

• Thanks 1

Thanks again guys. I am pretty sure this was a Sword or Trumpeter kit. definitely not Revell.

21 hours ago, tonyot said:

Oh,.... cannot say I had a problem with either on this Trumpy kit to be fair,.... but hey! 

DSCF7011.jpg

Sorry Matt,.... but couldn`t let that go unanswered mate,..... I love how you got a unit badge and tail flash onto yours,.....looks ace,

Cheers

Tony

You are a lot braver than me attempting the wing folds!  I am not sure the unit badge or tail flash is actually correct for this aircraft but I just liked the look of them :)

• Like 1

I’ve been ‘building’ 🤣 kits for well over 40 years and quite frankly I’d be well chuffed with that. Must get me one.

As to not going wrong, to misquote Monty Python “they wet their nests!”

Trevor

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Isn't one of the Revell kits actually the mid 50s Frog kit? Care needed when shopping as the boxings look very similar to the new-tool Revell kit from 2008

Matt, that's a brilliant comeback as a first effort after a long break. 

Yes - as is the case with many FROG kits which have appeared under all sorts of labels and boxes, Revell did, sat one time, package that early crude FROG Gannet. Their more recent kit is light years ahead.