Shackleton MR2/MR3 weapon loads

cherisy

Hi

Can anyone tell me what the normal loads carried by the Shackleton was over its career?. The Airfix kit supplies the MK30 and 44 Torpedoes. I have also seen photos of the MK101 Lulu Nuclear depth bomb fitted ( which it seems no one makes an aftermarket version of) but what else?.

I am also curious as to what 37 Sqn carried during their involvement in op Musketeer in 56. The research books I have do not say much although I know the MK 2 s were carrying 1000lb bombs in Aden.  

Thanks in advance

Lee

Sonobuoys of various types, which changed over its lifespan and smoke and flame floats / markers.

In the early days ordinary WW2 style depth charges. The Mark 30 ASW homing torpedo didn’t enter service until 1954

Edited by EwenS
  • Thanks 1

AFAIK the Mk.101 Lulu was only fitted to the MR.2 & 3 Phase III which reached squadron service in 1966.

The bomb loads carried in the Middle East could include up to 15*1000lb or 52*20lb bombs or a combination thereof.

Edited by EwenS
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, EwenS said:

Sonobuoys of various types, which changed over its lifespan and smoke and flame floats / markers.

In the early days ordinary WW2 style depth charges. The Mark 30 ASW homing torpedo didn’t enter service until 1954

The MR 2 I'm doing is a 37 sqn aircraft used in the Suez operation  in 56 So the MK 30 should be right. There doesn't seem to be much else aftermarket  weaponry  available.