Italeri 1/48 Ju-87D Now Romanian!

Time to put my choice on show for rest of you. I have decided to build Italeri's 1/48 Ju-87D which I have had in the stash for a while which looks like a nice kit in the box with a good amount of detail in the cockpit and nicely moulded parts with no flash and recessed panel lines and even has a small etched fret included which has seatbelts and a few other cockpit and airframe details, the decal sheet looks to be to Italeri's usual hign standard and has markings for a few aircraft in a variety of schemes ranging from the standard RLM 70/71/65 to a winter wash and a nice squiggly one used for night raids over Italy towards the end of the war. I have chosen to build an aircraft operated by the Royal Hungarian Air force on the Eastern Front and whilst it is in the standard 70/71/65 scheme it does have nice colourful markings.

Here is the usual selecion of pics of the box, what is inside it and some references, starting with the box top;

spacer.png

The contents,

spacer.png

Some references I will be using,

spacer.png

And what it should hopefully look like,

spacer.png

Hope to be able to make a sneaky pre-paint of the cockpit area soon.

Thanks for looking in.

Craig.

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 16

20 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

I look forward to seeing this one build up Craig!

Always fancied this kit.

Cheers Greg 👍

Cheers Greg, it looks like a nice kit so I'm hoping for a trouble free build.

The good quality decals and the etched fret mean that you can get a good model from the box without having to buy any expensive extras.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Always fancied this kit.

if you want a Ju-87 D, get the Hasegawa.   Italeri, in their own inimitable manner,  have, as best as can be ascertained, got the entire cockpit too far forward..( (I assume the D uses the same fuselage as B model) . and, they have a problem with spinner shapes (their 1/48th Hurricane are horrible)  and from photos., so does the Ju 87

I knew I'd mentioned this before

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235020101-italeri-ju-87-g-2-kanonenvogel-148/&do=findComment&comment=2700268

kit

71_zpszecr5cki.jpg&key=b9c1b6d0087826b7b

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-728-0323-24A,_Flu

but something has gone wrong,  the cowl looks funny too,maybe as result of the engine detail,and not sure  what's up with the prop blades.

The cockpit is noted for being in the wrong place too... this is the B, but given Italeri's penchant for make a right stuff up (newish tool in 1/48th include Re 2002, Ar196, Hurricane) then I'd not be surprised if the G  is the same...

http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Italeri/Italeri_Ju87B-2_48/Ita_Ju87B-2.html

scroll down for details.

13 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

you can get a good model from the box without having to buy any expensive extras.

If they didn't make basic flaws...yes.  

If built with cowl off, that will help, and perhaps sanding down the spinner, and look at the blade attachment, perhaps mounted a little bit further in?

Shame as the decal options are interesting.

or, just dont worry,  it can'e be mistaken for anything else......

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

If they didn't make basic flaws...yes. 

Yes I am aware of the nose issues with the kit Troy and was unsure as whether or not to try and reprofile the nose or just leave the engine panels off and have the engine exposed which should hide the issue (this is possible from the box) or just to ignore it and build it anyway, especially as nobody does a replacement spinner from what I can tell.

It's a tricky one Craig.  I mentioned it more so folks are aware of the pitfalls of the Italeri kit, eg @GREG DESTEC interest.   The hase kit has some issues, mostly simplified detail IIRC.  

Looking at the pic again,  the spinner is nowhere near as bad as the B model one,  I suspect getting the blades to sit better, will help a lot as well, as the look OK shape wise,  as with them sticking out it look odd. 

A possible 'cheap' fix would be using some bits from the old Monogram G kit, which while basic,  looks pretty well shaped, but that could be a PITA.

• Like 2

Great, another new kit Manufacturers in the mix.

15 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

if you want a Ju-87 D, get the Hasegawa.   Italeri, in their own inimitable manner,  have, as best as can be ascertained, got the entire cockpit too far forward..( (I assume the D uses the same fuselage as B model) . and, they have a problem with spinner shapes (their 1/48th Hurricane are horrible)  and from photos., so does the Ju 87

Wasn't there a chap on Britmodeller who has a huge knowledge on Hurricanes, building an Airfix Hurricane with all the faults and inaccuracies in place and having fun doing so :whistle:

Maybe not the most accurate kit (no kit is), but I am sure you make a splendid model of it.

I wish you have an enjoyable build.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2

Good luck with your build Craig. I am looking forward to see it. The nose doesn't seem totally correct, but with some sanding blocks and elbow grease it will look fine. 

Cheers,

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Arniec said:

Good luck with your build Craig. I am looking forward to see it. The nose doesn't seem totally correct, but with some sanding blocks and elbow grease it will look fine. 

Cheers,

12 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Craig. Looking forward to following this one's progress. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix 

Thanks Arnie and Stix, I hope to make a start this weekend, i had hoped to get a little prep work done this week but I've been pit on nights at work and it is messing with my body clock quite a bit.

• Like 2

Looking forward to this craig especially with your veritable library of ref material. This is going to be great.

The (overpainted?) B6 on the side - will be exciting to see how you tackle that.

• Thanks 1

Hi Craig,

@Troy Smith is right: it will look like a Stuka and nothing else! And you can make a splendid model out of it!

Have a lot of fun.

JR

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Dansk said:

Looking forward to this craig especially with your veritable library of ref material. This is going to be great.

The (overpainted?) B6 on the side - will be exciting to see how you tackle that.

Thanks Paul, the profile above is not of the actual aircraft I will be building so no needing to work out how to do the overpainting on the markings.

17 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Craig,

@Troy Smith is right: it will look like a Stuka and nothing else! And you can make a splendid model out of it!

Have a lot of fun.

JR

Thanks Jean, I intend to enjoy my build even with it's accuracy issues and, as you say, it will still look like a Stuka.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not doing any earlier updates but life keeps getting in the way so I have spent my time that I do get on actually assembling the kit.

I have got it to the point where I am ready to join all the cockpit parts together and then get them into the fuselage and hopefully join the two halves together, so here are some pics of the various parts as they stand now starting with the cockpit floor which has also had the rear gunners basket seat and the radios and control column added;

spacer.png

Next up are the two cockpit side panels;

spacer.png

The sticky up bit is the rear gunners back strap.

Next is the instrument panel which is made up of an etched panel which is fitted to a plastic back piece which has had decals applied for the dials, it works quite well;

spacer.png

The pilots seat and the ammo cans and mount for the rear guns;

spacer.png

I have also built up the main parts of the engine;

spacer.png

And I have built up the wings;

spacer.png

Which are not the best fit and have a bit of a step where the extra length of the Dora's wings have been added to the earlier Bertha release, this next shot should show the gap along the rear of the wings which is what they look like after a lot of sanding;

spacer.png

Filling that is going to be "interesting" to say the least.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 9

Hi Craig. Great to see you are underway with this one

I must say that is very impressive work in the cockpit! Lovely painting and effects! And good luck with the filling! 🤞

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2020 at 10:00 PM, PlaStix said:

Hi Craig. Great to see you are underway with this one

I must say that is very impressive work in the cockpit! Lovely painting and effects! And good luck with the filling! 🤞

Kind regards,

Stix 

20 hours ago, Dansk said:

Cockpit’s looking the business Craig 😎👌

i dont envy the wing join fix but to be honest I wouldnt have noticed it.

Thanks  Stix and Paul, really pleased that you both like the cockpit, I've got it built up now and the fuselage halves fitted together which has thrown up another issue as there is a separate piece for the upper rear fuselage behind the cockpit and it is not wide enough to fit properly so I have fixed one side in place and will try to get the other as close as possible before slapping on some filler, and then tackling the wings!

• Like 1