Italeri 1/48 Ju-87D Now Romanian!

Another long overdue update on very slow progress on my part, I've just not been able to spend as much time on any modelling as I would like at the moment. But things are moving forward and the fuselage, at least the main part, is now pretty much complete and I have to say that it went together very well indeed with no need for any filler except for a tiny smear where the tailplanes meet the fuselage, here is a pic of the fuselage;

spacer.png

As you can see there are a couple of bits of etched brass for the fuselage including the armour plate which was added to the outside of the front cockpit and a small section for the area in front of the cockpit canopy, here is a closer look;

spacer.png

This isn't the only etched brass for the exterior of the aircraft as Italeri also provide the anti-slip material for the upper wing area by the cockpit entry as either etched brass or decals, I chose to use the etched brass and this is how it looks;

spacer.png

I did thin the etch down a bit before applying it but I'm not 100% happy with how it looks as I think it stands too proud but hopefully a coat of primer and then some paint will help to lessen the look of how much they stand out.

The underside of the wings have also been completed with the addition of the undercarriage and the dive brakes and bomb racks, I'm not fitting the actuators for the wing flaps until just before painting as I know only too well what will happen! This is how the undersides of the wings look at the moment;

spacer.png

Next job will be to get the nose assembled and fitted to the rest of the fuselage. I had given serious thought to having the engine visible and the panels left off but due to time constraints I'm going to have the panels fitted, in fact I've decided to leave the engine out! A couple of trial fits have shown the fit with the engine in place will not be brilliant so I'm going to fit the radiator and the exhaust stubs. The radiator is just going to fit into the front of the cowlings after they are fitted together but the exhaust stubs need something to fir onto and to blank off the area behind them so I have cut up a few bits of plastic from the kit sprues and fitted them to the inside of the engine cowlings;

spacer.png

I have also drilled out the ends of the exhaust stubs themselves which give a much better look;

spacer.png

Next job now is to get the nose section finished and fixed to the fuselage and then get the wing section added.

Now I know that this is not the most accurate of kits and that some of the major flaws are being fixed by other builds in the GB but I am pushed for time and am happy to just get her finished.

That's it for today so thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 9

👍 Nice job pal, the etch might look a bit stand outy for the time being but after a prime and top coat , it'll look great, i built one of these a few years back and i couldn't  get the engine in with the cowls in place  either

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Hewy said:

👍 Nice job pal, the etch might look a bit stand outy for the time being but after a prime and top coat , it'll look great, i built one of these a few years back and i couldn't  get the engine in with the cowls in place  either

Cheers Glynn, glad it's not just me that can't get parts to fit!

It's a pity Italeri didn't spend more time and money getting the accuracy of the kit better (especially the terrible spinner) rather than on kitting an engine that most modellers will only cover up with the engine panels anyway.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I like the anti-slip PE.  Makes me think I should devize something for my own build.  A bit of Evergreen might do it... 

Thanks John, the size and shape on the anti-slip areas differ between the various models of the Ju-87 so you need to check your references to make sure you get the size and shape of the area correct.

Hi Craig. Good progress on your project and I too like the work you are doing with the etch. It is a shame Italeri let themselves down with certain aspects of their kits but I'm sure, with your talents, you'll be able to get it into shape! :fight:

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If that isn't the truest statement. How are you doing Stix its been a bit since the last time we crossed paths.  

Hi Dennis. Yes it is rather - shame because they sometimes have offered stuff that isn't available generally or locally. I built one of their 1/72 Spitfires quite a while back and it took far more effort to try and fix the issues than making a full 1/35 tank kit!

Yes it has been a while. I have been finding it difficult to get as much time trawling Britmodeller as I'd like. I used to do more posting of my own progress on my builds (sometimes two or three times over a modelling weekend), but I'm struggling, sometimes, to get an update post added for something I did a couple of weeks ago. I'm currently having a rest from GBs - I'm having a go at one of Tamiya's newest 1/48 armour kits up in the armour section, which is fun, but I am intending to take part in the 'In The Navy' GB soon with something wingy.

Hope you have a good weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

First off an apology for the lack of updates and progress on my Stuka as I've been somewhat distracted by a certain rotund Swedish beauty over in the Nordic GB.

There has been some progress though and she is certainly looking a lot more more like a Stuka than she did a couple of weeks ago and all the main assembly work is now completed as you can see in the pics below;

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next job is to get some aluminium paint on in areas of high wear to act as both a primer and so that I can weather back to it after the painting is done.

Thats it for now so as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 7

Hi Craig, Really enjoying you build. Looks good. The Italeri kit has some good points and then some "ho hum" moments. Yours does looks a D-5. There is one thing to correct before you finish paint. Check those underwing radiators. Cheers, Ray

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2020 at 2:22 AM, Dansk said:

It’s looking great mate 👌👍. That etch is gonna look ace post-paint.

Think your engine out plan was a good idea.

Thanks Paul, I have managed to get some Romanian markings for Stukas today so I might change the nationality of this one, especially as we have other Hungarian builds but no Romanian ones.

• Like 2

On 2/24/2020 at 5:48 AM, modelling minion said:

Bugger!

Really glad that you spotted that Ray, don't know how I managed that, oh well guess what I'll be doing later! Glad that you have enjoyed the build so far, hopefully I can keep you entertained for a bit longer.

Hi Craig,

Sorry to do this to you but I just realised when putting the radiators on my Italeri D-5 that Italeri instructions are wrong. They show this, which appears normal with the exit flap at the rear.

Stuka_Italeri_Construction_62

However, these are not exit flaps they are entry flaps and the exit flaps are represented as a soft detail in the kit part:

Stuka_Italeri_Construction_61

The entry flap opening is probably overstated. Here's some images of the actual aircraft:

Stuka_D_radiators

Hendon G

Stuka_D_radiators_2

Now this is a pain. If you have not turned them around it will be well and good. If you have, no one will challenge it as they will look normal. I'm tossing up wether to modify or not.

Ray 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Oh joy.

I think the face on your avatar is totally appropriate!

• Haha 1

You doing a good job of this one. I have the kit, but the middle canopy has gone missing. I used it on my Hasegawa build when that one went missing for a few weeks.  After that I don't know where it went otherwise I would be building one too.

• Thanks 1

First off an apology to Peter ( @Basilisk ) and any other of you still following my build which has been moving at the pace of an asthmatic snail, life (and a SAAB Tunnan) have been getting in the way but I do have progress to report, and quite a bit of it too! First off I removed the radiators (again!) which Ray pointed out were wrong and took the opportunity to modify them in the same way that he has done in his far superior build (it really is excellent Ray). Next up was paint, yes paint!! And after much masking (and wondering why I chose to build one in a splinter scheme) the paint work is complete apart from a small amount of touching up (ooh err!) on the RLM 65 on the underneath, I have used Gunze paints for all three colours with Revell for the RLM 04 theatre markings and have tried to give her a bit bit of a faded and worn look just with the paint application, so here are some pics of how she looks at the minute;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And yes I took full advantage of that most rare thing in England, sunshine! Here is a closer look at one of the wings which hopefully shows the faded and weathered look I have tried to get whilst painting her,

spacer.png

One other relatively major development is that I have decided to switch her nationality and she will now be Romanian. I have done this for a couple of reasons, one being that there are already Hungarian builds and no Romanian ones and the other being that I stand a better chance of finishing her in time if I don't have to mask off and paint the tail markings as I am well aware of the approaching deadline!

Anyway that is it for today so thanks for looking in (and being patient with me) and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 6