All quiet on the Western Front.....unless you're Lord Flashheart...... Revells Sopwith Camel F.1

"Lord Flasheart : The first thing to remember is: always treat your kite,  like you treat your woman!

Lieutenant George : How, how do you mean, Sir? Do you mean, do you mean take her home at weekends to meet your mother?

Lord Flasheart : No, I mean get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back.

Captain Blackadder : I'm beginning to see why the suffragette movement want the vote.

Lord Flasheart : Hey! Any girl who wants to chain herself to *my* railings and suffer a jet movement gets *my* vote!"

Right then lads! , and ladies for that matter....on to the next build, and the first of 2020!!

As part of my Christmas haul, my brother gifted me the rather splendid Revell 1/48 scale Sopwith F.1 Camel.....I suspect that those in know on this fine forum is aware that this is basically a re-boxed Eduard kit (even has Eduard on the spru!)

This is the first time I've build a string bag and any attempt at modelling rigging as well. I currently have MIG Ammo's 0.03mm rigging on order and on its way for later on. I did also read a lengthy post by a fellow member here on how to rig correctly. Most helpful, but I have forgotten whom it was, so my apologies.

Anyways....one with the show!

The kit in question and the splendid box art too!

49335227622_1105529336_z.jpg

Full colour instructions too

49335012901_e42f3ca1f4_z.jpg

Lovely set of sprue's there.....the paint pots were for the previous build and have since been updated for the Camel.

49335227392_9297c27c1f_z.jpg

Some clear parts too for the wing inspection panels

49335224857_c471dd1d52_z.jpg

Nice little decal sheet for 2 Camel variants too.

49335224237_42dddf6492_z.jpg

Variant 1 - of No. 139 Squadron, Villaverta, Italy July 1918

49335221517_966cdcff51_z.jpg

Variant 2 - of No. 73 Squadron, Ruisseauville, France July 1918

49335221482_0bb190b96d_z.jpg

I'm not entirely sure which variant I will go for yet,...a decision for later on. To help with the build, I found this fine publication in "The Works" just before new years to help with the finer details on the kit too.

49335346437_656c5b4d8c_z.jpg

So far with the build I managed to prep and paint the inner walls of the cockpit, which took a while and a very steady hand, as well as making up the oil tank for the engine bulkhead. I'll dirty this up a little prior to installation. 

49335061963_e48e8fe216_z.jpg

Next up on the instructions was the engine build. I'll be doing some reading on this to ensure it is painted up correctly.

Any hints, tips or Flasheart quotes....all welcomed!

spacer.png  spacer.png

Edited by Mikey-1980
  • Like 12

• Mikey-1980 changed the title to All quiet on the Western Front.....unless you're Lord Flasheart...... Revels Sopwith Camel F.1

I'll be following this.  I just got the kit a couple of days ago from Amazon for $15.  

I'll be doing a 28 Sqn machine when I finally figure out what colors it will be in... so many variations just on one squadron

• Like 1

From what I understand, it is pretty tricky, but if you work methodically fro the center outwards, then it isn't too bad.

I think this will mostly be a brush painted kit, given the over all size of the aircraft. We shall see as we progress though :)

spacer.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

I'd love to do some biplanes but rigging completely puts me off.

Don't let it.

It really isn't difficult, it just takes a little practice.

Like painting, but less so!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 3

Well, no question, you really know how to open a thread.

Just started tinkering with Revell’s 1/28th Camel so this will be one to follow.  

Dennis

• Like 1

Haha, the original thread title was Lord Flashhearts opener to how to treat your woman.....though after lots of views, but no replies, I thought it best to tone it down a bit..... But rest assured the Flashheart quotes with keep coming. 

Interested to see your progress with your 1/28 Camel though 

• Like 1

Following, initially for the Blackadder Goes Forth nod :thumbsup2:, but also because I have this kit in my stash as well as the 1:28 version.

Edited to add - don't fear the rigging, let the rigging fear you! :D

• Like 2

haha!

Cheers!

I think it echo's my sense of humor, slightly dark but generally all good. I tried it with my Enterprise build and generally taking the rise out of Red shirted crew members.

Why not make these threads a bit of fun while we're at it too?

Please by all means join in on the Blackadder / Flasheart related quips!

• Mikey-1980 changed the title to All quiet on the Western Front.....unless you're Lord Flasheart...... Revells Sopwith Camel F.1

Love the camel (although I always think the flat upper wing looks wrong) and the black adder references, always a bit disappointed that they used tiger moths for the aerial sequence. I have this and two mr craft camels in my stash ( may see the light if day as a salamander or a swallow) 

Rigging, such a tricky subject, I use a variety of techniques from eyelets to through holes to wrap around. The trick is method and patience and if you are using one of the more structural methods remember that each rigging line can affect the tension of its neighbours, if that makes any sense.

8 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Love the camel (although I always think the flat upper wing looks wrong) and the black adder references, always a bit disappointed that they used tiger moths for the aerial sequence. I have this and two mr craft camels in my stash ( may see the light if day as a salamander or a swallow) 

Rigging, such a tricky subject, I use a variety of techniques from eyelets to through holes to wrap around. The trick is method and patience and if you are using one of the more structural methods remember that each rigging line can affect the tension of its neighbours, if that makes any sense.

Cheers for the tips @Marklo I'm pretty sure I will composite build the Camel and tackle the rigging as and when it crops up with the build.

spacer.png

• Mikey-1980 changed the title to All quiet on the Western Front.....unless you're Lord Flashheart...... Revells Sopwith Camel F.1

Lord Flasheart : Enter the man who has no underwear. Ask me why....

Lieutenant George : Why do you have no underwear, Lord Flash?

Lord Flasheart : Because the pants haven't been built yet that'll take the job on!

Right then!

Update time!

Most of the recent bench time was taken up being on my knee's under the bench praying to the almighty deity of carpet monsters trying to find the teeny tiny fuel filler cap that pinged off from my tweezers....not once, but twice!! what didn't help was and an overly attention seeking kitten rolling around my head whilst I search on the carpet touch in hand for a good while.......anyways...part found and on with the build. WOOF!!

Control panel just about completed now...It is just waiting for the krystal klear to dry to give the illusion of glass front instruments...these are SO tiny you probably wont see, but its a nice little touch.

49374958993_c91874f4aa_z.jpg

The Clerget 9B engine was pieced together and mounted onto the bulkhead. The design and fit is supposed to represent the fact the entire radial engine span within the cowling. An interesting design producing between 110 - 140bhp. In this case the engine does still spin too :)

49374960438_3d3240ceca_z.jpg

The rear of the bulk head and the oil tank, weathered slightly with pastels to simulate oil spillage/leaks and general wear and tear. Though this probably wont be seen but looks decent I think?

49375615872_0baab81846_z.jpg

Next on the build was the air frame itself and the fuel tank. The little grey spout was the said missing part that disappeared into the carpet.  Took a while to find it the second time around.

I had actually resigned to the fact it was missing forever and I'd scratch build one when the fuselage was put together. But a last ditch effort before heading to slumber land, low and behold...there it was...in the exact same area I'd spent 45 minutes looking in....

49375594551_51abeeebb1_z.jpg

Quickly glued into place and will paint it up properly later.

Anyways...back to this thing they call "work" ...........

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Cheers @clive_t

The weaved basket seat is currently being painted up, though the decals provided to show the "weave" is much to be desired...it looks almost terrible (lower right corner of the decal sheet above).

Although it will be hardly seen, still yet to decide if I will use them or not....

I have found some on Hannants but at £6.99 a throw, plus shipping...not sure it is worth it?

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/BCR48259?result-token=J2ECZ

Right then chaps and chapesse's!

After a long and annoyingly stressful week, and equally busy weekend...I actually managed some time of the old rag bag last night...suffice to say that the cockpit is rather fiddly affair but just about there with it now.

49411077121_e8d028e9ea_z.jpg

Fuel tank and decals in place for the wicker basket seat

49411279607_8440865af5_z.jpg

After realising I had the fuselage upside down whilst trying to fit the control panel, I finally managed to get it slotted into place with the tub & fuel tank in place.

49410602653_b8d125e478_z.jpg

The tricky part was aligning up the control panel to stay level, and the figure out how the engine  section was mounted as the instructions were a little vague. Best solution, fit the fuselage together and figure it out afterwards.

Hey presto, it worked!

49411075461_286fac910c_z.jpg

There is, as always with all of my builds a seem line along the top and bottom.

49411278097_76db06f591_z.jpg

The seem along the bottom looks as if the 2 sections don't marry up level, so quite a bit of fill and leveling off I think is required.

Whilst the filler was drying, I thought I'd make a start on the lower wing section. Inspection clear panels will be left out until near to the end.

49411278097_76db06f591_z.jpg

I think I may have to go with a composite build on the Camel making sure all decals and sections are completed before final assembly and rigging.

spacer.png

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Mikey-1980 said:

I think I may have to go with a composite build on the Camel making sure all decals and sections are completed before final assembly and rigging.

‘‘Tis almost always the way with biplanes. In fact I almost find it weird to be able to build, paint and decal in a linear manner( doesn’t happen often anymore my Israeli mustang was one of the few last year)

• Like 1

I can sometimes to that, but very rare these days..the GeeBee build was most certainly a composite build....The Camel I fear will be most infuriating at times but worth it in the end..

I doubt any build work will occur this weekend as the good lady of the house wishes to re-decorate the workbench room / spare room into a guest room. Hopefully not too much disruption will occur.

Now I am unsure whether to spray or brush paint the wings?

26 minutes ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Now I am unsure whether to spray or brush paint the wings?

Depends on what paint you use.  Vallejo brush paints nicely but sprays well also.  

Looking good 

Dennis 

• Thanks 1

You're more than welcome @The Crusty one just avoid any seats that Flashheart has sat on ok?

Could get a bit sticky....WOOF!

I pretty much use Tamiya paints @DMC The Tamiya XF-78 - Wooden Deck is the closest I could find to the undersides of the wings.

spacer.png

On the fuselage I have Tamiya's Olive Drab in both pot and rattle can XF-62

spacer.png

I do occasionally use Citadel Colours paints, mainly their metallic's as they seem to be a lot richer and easier to lay down.