Derelict Mig-21

On 1/6/2020 at 10:44 AM, Bangseat said:

Love love! And I 3rd the comments about setting. Do you have fancy lighting rig for that...or are you just very clever? 😉

Hey! Thanks for the feedback, and the question.

My fancy lighting rig can be seen in the image below.

spacer.png

It us a multicoloured LED light bulb that I have taped over completely except a small slot to direct the light. The bulb has multiple colours but I only ever use the white, the other colours being too pastel.

I then use either a phone camera with an app to control integration time, or my SLR where I can set the shutter time to 20 seconds. 

Then it is lights out, shutter open, I had 20 seconds to "light paint" the model with the bulb, moving the light source in circles around the model not dissimilar to applying a top coat or misting with the spray gun.

best regards

CF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the comments, feedback and questions. I am pleased (and quite surprised), that the post has been enjoyed by so many. I get a great deal of inspiration and tips from many of the other posts on this site. Thanks!

• Like 2

I've been lurking on this forum for a while now and have yet to comment, until now. That diorama is fantastic. Really captures the faded glory of the machine. As an avid PC gamer the scene you have created would not look out of place in the maps of games like Escape From Tarkov and Rust

Regards,

Adam

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just brilliant!

I rather enjoy these derelict plane dioramas - full of character and nostalgia (IMHO).

The tall grass growing through the concrete looks especially convincing, not to mention the worn finish on the aircraft.

:clap2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/29/2020 at 1:10 AM, Back in the Saddle said:

@Cellarfrog that is a fantastic diorama - very evocative, great weathering and a superb build.👍

One question if I may? How did you make that fence? It is perfection!

Hello,

Thanks for the message and question.

The fence is the mesh from a "perfectly good and now you need to buy me a replacement" strainer I borrowed from the kitchen, soldered to brass tubing and weathered with paint and pastel chalks. 

CF

• Haha 1

On 1/10/2020 at 7:50 AM, Cellarfrog said:

Hi James,

Thanks for asking about these, I am happy to describe what I did, but will not pretend I am an authority on these techniques.....

The decals are not on the model. I trimmed them and applied them after the metal coat, to protect the region while I weathered the rest of the metal surface, I then removed the delcals (exposing the unweathered surface), applied hairspray. Then with stencils sprayed on the markings and scrubbed them back with a toothpick/toothbrush.

The canopy I scrubbed up with a fine nail file to give them a surface to paint, I then sprayed over a light coat of yellow/gray, polished it back on the main regions until the canopy was somewhat transparent again, then detailed and dusted the seams with artists chalks.

I hope this helps and thanks for asking.

CF

Thanks for the info CF and congrats again on an excellent build!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Andrés S. said:

Really EXCELLENT !!!!

Very very nice and very well executed all the work

Congratulations.

Andrés S.

Thanks for this, and all comments.

Edited by Cellarfrog