Derelict Mig-21

Excellent modeling & weathering Cellar Frog!A lot of work & enjoyment went into this model for sure.I did a run down Polish MIG15 years ago & learnt lots building it.A good point is paint /weather what you see.Thanks for sharing your model,beautiful. 

Jimbob.. .

• Like 1

I gave this a "like" initially, but found myself drawn back to it. I have a soft spot for derelict things & the aura of lost dreams & forgotten hopes that go with them, Your Mig has a thousand stories to tell, from the regimes that spawned it to the jet jockeys that flew it, what of their dreams & ambitions, they are all encapsulated within it. Bravo, a masterpiece. :)

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Simply outstanding, CF, mate! 👍 There's something regarding derelicted aircraft kits that make them look a lot more real than anything else.

And you being from beautiful Germany, here's what a modelling fella down here made out of the awesome 1/48 Eduard MiG-21 PFM kit. Enjoy!

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/8/2020 at 9:53 PM, James G said:

Super job, the weathering is just right! If I might ask, how did you weather the decals and the canopy? 

Hi James,

Thanks for asking about these, I am happy to describe what I did, but will not pretend I am an authority on these techniques.....

The decals are not on the model. I trimmed them and applied them after the metal coat, to protect the region while I weathered the rest of the metal surface, I then removed the delcals (exposing the unweathered surface), applied hairspray. Then with stencils sprayed on the markings and scrubbed them back with a toothpick/toothbrush.

The canopy I scrubbed up with a fine nail file to give them a surface to paint, I then sprayed over a light coat of yellow/gray, polished it back on the main regions until the canopy was somewhat transparent again, then detailed and dusted the seams with artists chalks.

I hope this helps and thanks for asking.

CF

• Like 1