Airfix Stuka 1978 tooling.****Finished**********

stevej60

Hi folks, in keeping with my re-visiting of kit's from my younger days I'll be building Airfix's 2nd tooling of the Stuka from the late seventies as I'm sure

we'll see a good few of the excellent newish tooling i'tl be nice to see what can be made of it.

Air%20T4%20Ju-87B-R%20Stuka

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 12

6 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Hi Steve, I'm sure this will turn out superb in your hands!

Thank's VP well give it a go!

56 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Nice choice Steve, built a few of these in my younger days.

Am I right in thinking that it come with Italian markings?

Hi Craig,not 100% sure I've ordered one from King Kit so not sure which boxing will arrive(this was released four times even making it into the new red

boxes) that said KK usually send the advertised issue which I think did include Italian markings.

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

great choice! I took the cowardly approach with the new Airfix tooling.

From what I remember, the old Airfix kit (not the very first one...) is pretty good, actually better than what as done then by other manufacturers.

The main grip is the slit at the back of the canopy, for the MG15... It does not look good. But then, everybody else did the same. Sso...

Have a lot of fun with it!

JR

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jean said:

Have a lot of fun with it!

Thank's Jean,I love their 1/48 tooling from the same period but can't recall this kit at all so we'll see what's in the box.

2 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Interesting choice. I too had this in the stash many moons ago until I sold all the old kits.

I wish you an enjoyable build.

Cheers, Peter

Many thank's Peter,thinking back I don't recall ever building this kit I clearly remember the poly bag issue in a set I got one Christmas waaaaay back!

23 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Will be good to see what you can do with an oldie Steve. 

Many thank's H,I built their 1/48 kit a few years ago which I think was released about the same time,I know the new tool is a stunner but this older

offering is still a great kit and plenty still out there.

20200108_114513

And here's a couple of Italeri(Revell boxing)  1/72 87's again great kit's that are cheap as chips with the pre-owned dealers and on E-bay.

20200108_114751

• Like 11

Kit arrived still in cellophane  despite its 40+ years,decals as new and very similar to it's bigger 1/48 brother rivets galore but nicely done and very nice

clear canopy.

• Like 2

Morning folk's,here's the box contents will start in a week or so when I sort out the shambles of my Mustang GB attempts!

I'll probably build another at some point either Airfix's first issue kit or maybe Heller's boxing.

20200111_110948

• Like 8

Hi folk's,things seem to be going from bad to worse with my  Airfix old tool Mustang for the STGB so after prepping for  yet another re-spray tomorrow

I had a half hour to take a look at this one,assembled the basic cockpit and added a bit of detailing to take away the featureless  fuselage interior.Once

I deal with the ejector pin marks on the seat time for paint and decal's.

20200112_202033

• Like 8

Afternoon folks,couple of coats on the cockpit and a few scrap decals along with masking tape belts and ready for joining up the fuselage sides.

20200117_132816

after drying very little  cleaning up was  required and the rest "flew" together, no filler needed except the upper nose before primer.My trick with Stuka

building is to cut the wheels in half and add at the end of the build just makes painting easier!

20200117_135922

• Like 13

I've just noticed this kit's German scheme is identical save the individual aircraft to the Heller one being all green over blue with yellow theatre markings.

So I have the choice of making one in this boxings Italian scheme which is not very inspiring or digging out the colour call out for the Revell/Italeri kit

which I have a couple of sheets for ,I seem to remember one being splinter green broken up with sand but I need to check if it's the right mark of

aircraft.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stevej60 said:

I seem to remember one being splinter green broken up with sand

The research I've done on Ju 87s going to North Africa, they had their 70/71 splinter scheme broken up with areas of Italian sand coloured paint, the German sandgelb RLM 79 paint came later.(I can let you know what the name of the Italian paint is, just don't ask me to pronounce it) :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Hi folks.well this will be as exciting as modelling on the radio.no laptop so no pics.I've primed her and given two coats of light blue to the undersides,painted the yellow nose and tail and just finished a second coat of the light green upersurfaces am photographing each stage so will be a mass post as soon as I get sorted.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 1/11/2020 at 11:06 PM, stevej60 said:

I'll probably build another at some point either Airfix's first issue kit 

More of a challenge than the one you are doing. I found one and I'm giving it a go. I would have binned it without the leftovers from the new kit and this STGB.

• Like 1