Ju-87 B-1 Stuka

jean

Hi all,

moving on slowly, as usual.

Finished the starboard side of the cockpit. As always, poor quality photos with the phone, but it gives an idea of what has been happening!

Ju 87 B-1 Photo 11

Still thoroughly enjoying this build!

Cheers

JR

• Like 8

Looking good Jean. I have been enjoying my 1/48 Ju 87B-2. It has been a breeze to build. With only PE seat belts being used life has been much less stressful today.

Pity I have to work tomorrow, but I have to pay for the new Stuka kit some how.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Looking good Jean. I have been enjoying my 1/48 Ju 87B-2. It has been a breeze to build. With only PE seat belts being used life has been much less stressful today.

Pity I have to work tomorrow, but I have to pay for the new Stuka kit some how.

Hi Greg,

stealing the kits would save you having to go and work!

I am a genius!

Keep having fun, whether honestly or not.

JR

• Haha 1

Good evening,

I am now calling the main cockpit area finished (bar the control stick to glue). The roll-over structure behind the pilot seat could have done with some thinning out, but once under a closed canopy  (with the usual fingerprints of model glue), it should look just fine. Fingers crossed!

Ju 87 B-1 Photo 12

A few small paint touch-ups remain, and then a coat of mat varnish all over! Not sure yet about the weathering.

Port side of cockpit almost finished.

Cheers.

JR

• Like 11

Hi everyone,

the cockpit and half fuselages are ready to add to the wings' center section.

I will add the control stick after, as I know I will destroy it if I glue it beforehand!

Ju 87 B-1 Photo 13

I did try to dry-fit the half fuselages held together to the rest of the cockpit, and it seems to block and refuse to fit, thanks to the overturn structure and radios I glued in advance...

Plus the front of the fuselages seem to wide for the slots in the wing center section!!!! I am going to take a long and hard look at the parts, before I start hacking and filing... 

Once that unexpected hurdle is behind me, the rest should go pretty fast... for me!

Thanks for looking.

JR

• Like 5

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Coming along nicely Jean!

Hi Steve,

it is a really nice kit, despite the few gripes mentioned along the way.

Never 100% satisfied, we are!

I figured out that the only way to fit the fuselage to the wing centre section is to glue both fuselage halves together from the rear of the cockpit to the tail, leaving the front end free of glue, so that it can be opened up. That way the roll-over bar will fit in! Lateral thinking at its best.

So it's all go now, hoping there won't be another curved ball along the way!

Are you building more Stukas for this GB?

Cheers

JR

1 hour ago, jean said:

Are you building more Stukas for this GB?

Hello Jean,yes I'm building a second version of the kit already done,I picked up another e-bay bargain for a fiver but there's been an issue with the seller

now resolved so it should arrive soon.

• Like 1

Hi,

the rear half fuselages are now glued together, so from now on it will only be gluing bits and pieces without any time spent on painting lilliputian details.

Hopefully this will shortly look like a Stuka!

Ju 87 B-1 Photo 14

I can't wait to see how this kit will shape up!

Cheers.

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 5

Hi,

I have finally glued the fuselage to the central wing section: only 90 % complete due to a couple of joints that are fighting back around the leading edge, and need stronger handling!

I must have misaligned something, somewhere by a couple of microns. Several people mentioned tight tolerances, and they were not kidding!

Ju 87 B-1 Photo 15

Anyway, the fuselage joint will be cleaned and a dry fit shows that the wings fit perfectly.

So all should be well!!!

JR

• Like 8

On 15/02/2020 at 20:32, jean said:

Hi,

I have finally glued the fuselage to the central wing section: only 90 % complete due to a couple of joints that are fighting back around the leading edge, and need stronger handling!

I must have misaligned something, somewhere by a couple of microns. Several people mentioned tight tolerances, and they were not kidding!

Ju 87 B-1 Photo 15

Anyway, the fuselage joint will be cleaned and a dry fit shows that the wings fit perfectly.

So all should be well!!!

JR

I seem to remember mine not wanting to align on one side terribly well so it's possibly a kit issue, I just hacked some styrene out using my usual 'delicate' method until it seemed to work! :D

• Haha 1

Hi guys, and girls,

after several days in our horrid capital city, I am back home and have managed to work on the Stuka for a good 30 mn!!!! Luxury!

Anyway, I glued the upper wing panels and things are starting to look as they should.

No idea where I stuffed up, but the fit of the right wing by the fuselage is shameful!!! Nothing a tad of putty and gentle sanding can't sort out, but still!

Plus, just to add to the challenge, I broke parts of the overturn pylon... no comment! There again, after a paint touch-up, nobody will notice.

All I have to do is fit the underside outer wing panels and then all the joints can be tidied up.

A slow but very pleasant build.

If only I were less clumsy...

Ju 87 B-1 Photo 16

Keep having fun!

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 7

Great to see this one progressing, this kit is far too new to be in my stash, but I'm curious how different people building the same kit seem to be having fit problems. 

The common denominator must be variations in Airfix quality control which is very disappointing. 

Really looking forward to seeing the next instalment. 

cheers Pat 

• Like 1

Hi @Greg Law and @JOCKNEY

yes, life has a propensity to force you to do the things you'd rather not do...

Right now I am in South Africa shopping with my better half... and I could think of a number of things I'd rather do, a number at least as big as the Avogadro one...

And maybe just as well I am not modelling right now, as I broke the overturn pylon another time!!! I am starting to suspect there was a reason why Airfix wanted this part glued near the end of the build. And we think we are being O so clever!

Having bitched a little bit, I am still very impressed by the clever engineering of this kit. Not too shabby Airfix! 

Cheers.

JR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jean said:

I am still very impressed by the clever engineering of this kit. Not too shabby Airfix! 

Hi Jean,

I'm doing the bigger brother 1/48 Airfix R-2. What a pleasure. In terms of build and engineering I don't think I have one complaint and, oh joy, it's not like the more recent offerings with that soft, smelly plastic. 

Ray

• Like 1

Very nice work on this Stuka, Jean! You may be moving me in the direction of buying the kit - to do as a Spanish Civil War version. Good luck with the rest of the build (cool mongoose, by the way).

Regards,

Jason

• Haha 1

A little  bit more done with the elevators now in place.

Looking more and more like a Stuka.

Ju 87 B-1 Photo 17

I have dry fitted the engine cowling and all seems to fit, so I am very happy.

Where I am less joyful is the rudder: the sprue gates were so thick, and the rudder so commendably thin, that two sections of the trailing edge just broke off... Damn! More time wasted... Oh well.

Ju 87 B-1 Photo 18

I am going to fit the center canopy in place with masking tape only. That way I may stop breaking the roll over bar...

OK, I could crush the canopy. Point taken.

Cheers.

JR

• Like 6