Ju-87 B-1 Stuka

jean

Hi everyone,

I am a super fan of the Ju 87, but I was not supposed to enter this GB. That was the responsible route.

Unfortunately, I could not resist any more, so, ever so typically, I am doing the unreasonable thing... but I am in good company!

This is a place holder as I have 2 kits to finish first. That is the responsible route....

Here are a couple of photos:

Ju 87 B-1 Photo 1

Ju 87 B-1 Photo 2

This Stuka will be built OOB, with the exception of some PE seat belts. I will be using as well the Xtradecal transfers.

This kit is plain beautiful. It will be great!

JR

• Like 13

11 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

That box is stuffed! Do I recall correctly that the B-1 kit also includes parts for the B-2, so it's up to one's decal stash which type to build?

Hi.

the box is indeed stuffed with great looking sprues.

As far as I have seen, there are only parts for the B-1.

An early B-2 could possibly be built using the B-1 exhausts, but then the flaps behind the radiator are wrong, etc. or if the single flap is right, the exhausts are wrong for an early B-2. Damn!

It may be easier to purchase the B-2 boxing in order to build a good and honest B-2!!!

Cheers

JR

• Like 1

On 1/6/2020 at 7:19 AM, jean said:

Hi everyone,

I am a super fan of the Ju 87, but I was not supposed to enter this GB. That was the responsible route.

Unfortunately, I could not resist any more, so, ever so typically, I am doing the unreasonable thing... but I am in good company!

You are indeed in good company.

I wish you an enjoyable build - completed or not.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

Hi all,

here are the photos of the sprues. This kit is now well known, but the quality is nonetheless top notch!

Beautiful!

Ju 87 B-1 Photo 3

Ju 87 B-1 Photo 4

Ju 87 B-1 Photo 5

Cheers

JR

• Like 11

Just looked at the sprues in detail, and I was slightly disappointed to find quite a lot of flash on the smaller parts.

Nothing deadly, but just some extra cleaning up work I had not been expecting... Detail is a bit soft in places, but all in all, it is still a really exciting kit!

Cheers

JR

21 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Are we going to see your MS406 chasing the Stuka round the living room ?

Good luck with this one.

Are you doing the Spanish Civil War version  ?

cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

the MS 406 is not forgotten! Tomorrow I am going to put the blue-white-red flag on the rudder, but I am going to use blue and red decals strips on a white-painted rudder for that purpose (Decals from Model Art Decal System, usually quite good!). It is just an admission of inadequacy, as I have tried to paint the damn flag three times, and each time was a disaster of galactic proportions... So wisdom dictates that I try another route.

If that fails, I am taking up crocheting instead!

The Stuka should be a problem-free build (Oh rats! I have uttered the forbidden words!) And no, I do not really like the Nationalist paint scheme, so Luftwaffe it shall be!

I have never been called original, and here is the proof.

Are you succumbing to the Stuka fever too?

Take care

JR

• Like 1

Hi JR

I am going to resist your tempting offer to join this GB as I have managed to find my vacform "Dardo" so will be starting that one.

Oh and while I was looking for that kit, I found another vacform which I shall start a separate thread for and build later on in the year.

Good luck with this one, I hope you don't mind me cheering you along from the sidelines :goodjob:

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/10/2020 at 9:54 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi JR

I am going to resist your tempting offer to join this GB as I have managed to find my vacform "Dardo" so will be starting that one.

Oh and while I was looking for that kit, I found another vacform which I shall start a separate thread for and build later on in the year.

Good luck with this one, I hope you don't mind me cheering you along from the sidelines :goodjob:

Cheers Pat 

Hi Pat,

So you are seriously buildinga Dardo.... Oh well. And then, another vacform?! 

You may already be past saving, you know that?

But homo sapiens has a strong ghoulish side and I, for one, will really enjoy watching you "Dardoing"!

You are very welcome to watch my pale attempt at modelling (when compared to a Dardo!) this insignificant Stuka.

Have fun!

JR

• Like 1

Hi all,

finally found the extra goodies I thought I had for the Stuka. I had forgotten most of them!

Anyway, here they are:

Ju 87 B-1 Photo 7

All this search for nothing as I eventually decided not to use any of them!

Instead I just used a few Luftwaffe PE seat belts from Airwaves, and decided it would suffice.

So the main progress to date:

Ju 87 B-1 Photo 8

The radio/gunner's seat should be hollow, but I am keeping it and will play with some trompe l'oeil when painting time comes.

A bit like @Basilisk experience with the Airfix 1/48 big brother, Airfix have come up with some baffling crudeness in the design, surprising in such a well engineered kit.

Ju 87 B-1 Photo 6

Nothing that cannot be removed, but totally unexpected.

When all is said, the engineering of this kit is nonetheless mind boggling!

Thanks for watching!

JR

• Like 13

Hi everybody,

small progress with the RLM 02 splashed where required!

Klir applied since the photo, ready for adding the black "boxes", etc.

Ju 87 B-1 Photo 9

Slight problem: our !!!!**@@###!!!!!ng mongoose threw the glass plate onto which were the Stuka's bits and pieces, on the floor....

The plate shattered and the furry monster started playing with the Stuka parts. I was away at the time... maybe just as well.

My better half discovered the disaster, collected the pieces, and brushed all the shattered glass. That went into the rubbish pit... along with the control stick!

I did not even try to look for it...

So I will try and make something decent from the stick in the old Revell Ju 87B kit. 

Bottom line: wildlife and modelling do not mix!!!

Thanks for watching.

JR

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

6 hours ago, jean said:

Slight problem: our !!!!**@@###!!!!!ng mongoose threw the glass plate onto which were the Stuka's bits and pieces, on the floor....

You have a mongoose!?!

17 hours ago, Ted said:

You have a mongoose!?!

Hi Ted,

for my sins, yes: our mongoose allows us kindly to stay in our home!

It is a Slender Mongoose, which we found, aged about a week max, under a tree stump in the bush a couple of hundred meters from our house. Almost seven years ago now.

She had been dumped by her mother. We took her home, but just to be sure, we put a trail camera to check if the mother would come back. A few hours later, two lions walked exactly where she was!

Beautiful soul, but she runs the roost, and there are no holds barred for her. Hence my Stuka pieces going all over the show... But it was my fault, as I know what she is capable of.

Every morning she plunges her tongue in my cereal bowl and drinks her milk quota. And she is supposed to be milk-intolerant!

She makes modelling interesting!

Cheers.

JR

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

On 23/01/2020 at 18:49, jean said:

Had problems with a dog before but a mongoose is different.  Extra points for that. :giggle:

• Haha 2

On 1/25/2020 at 6:45 AM, Greg Law said:

I can image the Mongoose is annoying at times, but fun non the less. All the shows I have seen on them they look hyper active all the time.

See, now the Mongoose has taken over your thread.  🙂

Did you say hyper-active?!!!

You are nowhere near! She is a brown blur most of the time. A blur with teeth!

I failed miserably adapting the control stick of the old Revell Ju 87B (I am going through a clumsy phase! Ask my wife...).

Then I had a Damascene moment and I am now using an Airfix Me 109 E stick. Perfect.

This one will be mongoose unfriendly.

In the meantime I am preparing all the sub-assemblies I can think of. Hopefully that will pay dividends one day.

Cheers.

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 3

Hi Greg,

here is a photo taken a couple of years ago.

Despite the size differential, the mongoose is the boss!

Squiggle

She is called Squiggle.

Cheers

JR.

• Like 9

23 hours ago, jean said:

the mongoose is the boss!

And I thought @Procopius hedgehog was surreal! 

I showed the cat and mongoose pic to my daughter, who didn't know what one was, and had forgotten I'd read her the Kipling Jungle book tale about one...  she did think it was cool though.

cheers
T

• Like 2

Hi everybody,

I am sure other Bmers have made the same remark already, but I am a very happy little boy, having discovered by accident on the sprues that Airfix had indeed included the Stuka siren, which appears nowhere on the instructions' sheet!

Happy days indeed.

Ju 87 Photo 10

Here are the two upper landing gear legs before clean-up, just as it should be!

The small siren propeller needs a lot of thinning up, but that's OK.

What a fun kit!

JR

• Like 6