Racing Mustang razorbacks

72modeler

I was sent this by a modeling mate, and although I knew some of the history of the aircraft involved, there was a lot therein that was new to me and possibly to many of you, as well. My idol Jimmy Stewart owned one of the Mustangs in the article, and I have read accounts that he sometimes flew it to various bases when he was on active duty with the AF reserve. It is interesting that the P-51B's and C's always seemed to capable of higher speeds than the D's and K's- maybe due to the much smoother airflow over the fuselage compared to the bubble canopy versions. A very exciting time when high performance aircraft could be bought for a pittance and modified for pylon and distance racing. With the 130/150 octane avgas  readily available at that time, those  V-1650's could really produce some horsepower! I hope you enjoy reading the histories of these Mustangs, and they would make interesting modeling projects!

Mike

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/2020/01/01/

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

My idol Jimmy Stewart owned one of the Mustangs in the article, and I have read accounts that he sometimes flew it to various bases when he was on active duty with the AF reserve.

Thanks Mike another project to add to the list. Who doesn't like Jimmy Stewart ? He’s one of my favorites and i watch his films as often as I can. I do love Strategic air Command. The story is good but the visuals are incredible of both B-36’s and B-47’s. 

• Like 1