STUrzKAmpfflugzeug! - Ju87B-1 COMPLETED.

MarkSH

Hello all,

This is a placeholder for my Ju87 STGB entry with:

49323115892_fedbe0af90_b.jpg

49323116297_8f02219ce2_b.jpg

Lots of very finely molded parts

49323116207_42a6354784_b.jpg

Most of which are intact all bar:

49322902991_8a0473e72e_b.jpg

The pilot's seat which had become detached from the sprue and suffered damage to the frame, the part isn't up to much anyway so a quickboost resin replacement is on its way. Other than that it'll be as supplied in the box.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 7

20 hours ago, modelling minion said:

have you decided which scheme to finish it in yet?

I'll be doing the kit supplied scheme for Sturzkampfgeschwader 2 based in Germany, Spring 1940. 

• Like 2

On 1/6/2020 at 5:15 AM, MarkSH said:

The pilot's seat which had become detached from the sprue and suffered damage to the frame, the part isn't up to much anyway so a quickboost resin replacement is on its way. Other than that it'll be as supplied in the box.

Cheers,

Mark.

I am sure the new tool Airfix kit will be a popular choice in this STGB. Shame about the seat. The quickboost set with the pilot and gunner seat looks great, but is unfortunately not the bee's knees' as the pilot seat is too narrow (has to be a very skinny pilot who can sit in it) and the Airfix seat is actually more to scale. In addition, the quickboost gunner seat is of the wrong style with a lower back as used in the Ju 87D/G. Airfix got it right as the back is the correct hight for a Ju 87B.

Cheers, Peter 

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

With the completion of my efforts for the Film, Fictional and  Speculative GB I have allowed myself a start on the Stuka:

49400916922_2b17875315_b.jpg

49400715251_3bcf8e9a78_b.jpg

Only the cockpit assembly but its a start.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 12

Afternoon all,

Side walls painted and fitted:

49404197901_3f8596081e_b.jpg

Others have noted the numerous ejection pin marks on this kit so I won't rail on about them, other than that I have no complaints the fit is very good, infact too good a layer of paint is enough to cause issues of fitment.

The instrument panel assembly similarly has been painted, decaled and some gloss dropped in the dial faces. I was a little confused by the IP colour callouts The instructions call for Hu111 which doesn't appear on the Humbrol paint chart but a quick 'google' showed it to be RLM grey which is Hu240 so I assumed it to be a typo and stuck with Tamiya XF-22:

49404398097_58975a4159_b.jpg

The whole cockpit has been dark washed and light dry brushed anyway so I am a little less than concerned about precise colours and God forbid I should start yet another RLM colour debate.

I do have a query about the Strap / Back support? supplied for the Gunner/Radio Operator was this fixed or adjustable for different seat positions? it is a prominent feature and I would like to include a suggestion of it. Additionally I guess it was heavy duty leather?

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 9

Mark,

According to the Haynes manual for the Stuka the radio/gunner seat could swivel like an office chair to allow the gun or the radio set to be operated. Therefor the seat straps must be flexible or adjustable. A thick belt spanned the fuselage width to stop the crewman for being thrown against the radio equipment. I reckon these belts would be heavy canvas or fabric similar to the pilots seat belts. 

Hope that's of some help. Cheers, Greg 👍

• Thanks 2

Thanks @GREG DESTEC, Yeah, I too have the Haynes manual and came to the same conclusion, the Haynes publication is a little vague however and also, if I'm being honest not a very satisfactory solution from the rear seaters perspective.

• Like 1

Good idea, better not getting into the Cockpit RLM debate as everything is possible anyway. Your pit looks great and your harness is very nicely painted - surely not an easy task.

13 hours ago, MarkSH said:

Thanks @GREG DESTEC, Yeah, I too have the Haynes manual and came to the same conclusion, the Haynes publication is a little vague however and also, if I'm being honest not a very satisfactory solution from the rear seaters perspective.

Indeed a very uncomfortable seating arrangement when in a 90 degree dive and recovering from it without little back support!

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, MarkSH said:

I do have a query about the Strap / Back support? supplied for the Gunner/Radio Operator was this fixed or adjustable for different seat positions? it is a prominent feature and I would like to include a suggestion of it. Additionally I guess it was heavy duty leather?

I'm not sure if you already know this or not, but the rear seat strap is included in the kit.  For some reason the installation of this part is missed in the instructions.  I put it in after the fuselage was together and with a bit of care it clicks nicely into place in the groove there.

49407856991_a777b33f33_z.jpg

49408053897_a44735faf1_o.jpg

Dave.

Edited by Dave_R
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 19/01/2020 at 12:52, MarkSH said:

Thanks @Dave_R in all likelihood I would have missed that completely. Just have to decide on what material it would have been webbing or heavy leather.

The Eduard prepainted P/E have it as stitched webbing in a linen colour.

• Thanks 1

Evening all,

A little more progress, overall I am quite impressed by this kit. It certainly goes together very well with accurate and logical engineering, yes some of the details are a little soft such as the tyres and there are generally too many ill placed ejection pin marks but so far it has been an enjoyable if slow build, but that's my usual modus operandi. Anyway the progress:

49425103101_71ff3cc410_b.jpg

The Stuka's many angles are, as someone else has stated nigh on impossible to get wrong with this kit, even for me.

49424635153_5e9eb8574a_b.jpg

The lower outer portion of the wings fit snugly around the undercarriage points on the centre section forming 'natural' panel lines I assume.

One question though, the ridge running back from the U/C; should this be smooth or is there a join line? I can find no reference.

49451652361_f8037c3776_b.jpg

Gun bays assembled, painted, dry brushed and washed and access panels removed from the upper portion of the wings.

49451169333_c5b51ab5ae_b.jpg

Wing uppers fitted and empennage also installed.  I think the landing light may have been dislodged slightly during the fitting of the upper wing I'll try and get it back into correct alignment.

I did read online somewhere that in some cases the engine firewall was natural metal. I decided it would make a pleasant variation from the ubiquitous RLM02, so throwing caution to the wind, went with it!.......I know reckless right!?

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 5

Hi Mark,

Don't know how old the kit is but I have a range of Humbrol colour charts going back many years. In my earliest chart which must be at least 35 years old it was "Uniform Grey" and in a one about 15 years ago it must have been discontinued, only to come back later as in the 2016 catalogue Hu111 was called "Field Grey". After they stopped making the "Humborl Authentic " range somewhere I guess in the 1970's they did not do any RLM02 as such until quite recently AFAIK.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

Not too much progress but I have assembled and attached the engine cowling, I did start assembling the engine but changed my mind in favour of a more complete looking Stuka:

49526201328_4e4f035fa0_b.jpg

The fit of the cowling parts is OK but not quite as clean as the rest of the build so far.

49526712686_55f8a6690c_b.jpg

I have added the cooling flap hinges at least that's what I think they are.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MarkSH said:

49526712686_55f8a6690c_b.jpg

I have added the cooling flap hinges at least that's what I think they are.

It does indeed look like there are some fit issues :(

But I am puzzled in regards to your cooling flap hinges.

1. I can't see them on any pictures I had a look at.

2. I could be wrong, but as far as I know, the B-1 didn't had cooling flaps

Below picture is of a B-1 and B-2.

spacer.png

Cheers, Peter

Does look like I've fitted the wrong part it should be the smooth one. With regard to my 'hinges' I have two image in the Haynes manual that clearly show something in those position, anyway moot point I'll remove the offending part and use the correct one...maybe it'll fit better.

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all,

I have been slowly working on the Stuka and have just got it nearly ready for some primer:

49618888047_91cff05dc2_b.jpg

49618626926_0d488a8640_b.jpg

the clear parts have been tacked in place with masking fluid all except the wind screen. I used Montex masks for the first time and there was a set for both the open and closed middle section which I thought was a good idea, with careful arrangement the kit could be shown in both states.

The non-cooling flap rear of the radiator housing has been fitted but again the fit was far from perfect requiring substantial fettling and filling to get a smooth fit. Other than that it has been a trouble free, enjoyable if slow build.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4

Afternoon all,

As I have now completed all I can for the P-51 GB I can spend some more concentrated time on the Stuka. This morning I pre-shaded and then applied the Light Blue undersides using Tamiya XF-23:

49658170148_92c6943056_b.jpg

I left it to dry for a while before masking the undersides and applying the Dark Green using Tamiya XF-61. I checked several references for the appropriate Tamiya colour as That's pretty much all I use and XF-61 was quite a common selection including Urban's colour reference charts at IPMS Stockholm which I've used before. Anyway I will be heavily modifying the colours using my usual haphazard oil paint and weathering powder application so they are only a base coat at this point:

49658712771_09c57b6040_b.jpg

Hopefully, spraying almost perpendicular to most of the surfaces will have avoided any substantial overspray but I am expecting some touch ups on the undersides. I'll leave this to dry overnight and mask off tomorrow for the Black Green which will be Tamiya XF-27.

In the mean time I need to get on with all the bits and bobs that'll need fixing to the model once the painting is complete.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 3