Special Hobby Ju 87A, Royal Hungarian Air Force, Veszprem, 1943...

John

Looking at your parts you are lucky you seem to have more than my 1/48 scale.  I have to scratch build that frame behind the seat.

Also it looks like they copied the parts from the Hasegawa's Ju 87G. I watched someone building one earlier and the side wall parts look a

lot like my resin parts. Also the seats are completely wrong, so I have ordered new resin ones today. Yours look correct.

Some more Stuka work...

The wheels look pretty good but they are in halves and will need a small amount of work.  Not much.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Et voila...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wings...I removed the lugs even though I didn't have an issue with the fit.

spacer.png

The observation window fits very snugly.  I glued it into place.

spacer.png

OK...Part A17, the rear section of the scoop/siren...Hmmm...

spacer.png

Seems like it is not on the sprue, or it has been lost...I have searched far and wide.  I guess I will have to make another one.  

spacer.png

The wings come together nicely in any case...

spacer.png

--John

• Like 5

The wing flaps come in many pieces.  There is the aileron itself and then all the hinges and trim weights.  Careful cleaning and prepping before assembly required!

spacer.png

This has to be cleaned up before I glue it on.  I was just checking that I had the correct flap for the side of the wing.  

spacer.png

Both flaps assembled on the wing component.

spacer.png

I have added the stabilizer and the rudder as well.  Drying time overnight and then I'll attach the wing to the fuselage.

spacer.png

Don't worry!  I didn't forget the airbrakes!  They are supplied as very nice PE and resin pieces which I will assemble later and attach at the very last.  It will be easier to paint this way.

spacer.png

--John

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

she is coming together very quickly

It is...thanks.  Not a complicated kit and well-moulded.  A test fit of the fuselage to wing shows a superb and tight fit with only two small gaps.

• Like 1

Your build is helping me with mine. I was wondering if there was a window in the bottom the fuselage.  Looks like I will have to manufacture one.

I just spent an hour redoing the vertical grill that is in the frame behind the radios and hank your lucky stars that you didn't have to put individual  exhaust ends on like I did.

So...with the wing attached the Stuka is looking very much like a...Stuka!

As you see, no gap at all at the roots.  I have also added the four air intakes to the nose of the aircraft and what I think is a landing light on the starboard wing.

spacer.png

The only fillable gap is on the belly, here...

spacer.png

Part A17, the missing piece, would have fitted somewhat deeply in this space.  I have decided to leave it as is.  

spacer.png

Another look at the air intakes on the nose...I am not too keen on these exhaust pipes.  You would think a Special Hobby kit would made them as a separate unit to glue in place.  Oh well.  I might have to augment them somehow.  They don't seem to be there at all, really.

spacer.png

--John

On 1/21/2020 at 9:06 PM, modelling minion said:

My page editor isn't clearing this...I am not sure why.  Modeling Minion did not say this...

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Another look at the air intakes on the nose...I am not too keen on these exhaust pipes.  You would think a Special Hobby kit would made them as a separate unit to glue in place.  Oh well.  I might have to augment them somehow.  They don't seem to be there at all, really.

Ive seen it done two ways, taking hollow aluminum or brass tubing and squeezing them gently to get an oval shape. The other day i came across a build of a Hawker Fury Mk.I and the builder used plastic hollow tubing from Q-tips of all things. I cant find the build right now, but it was brilliant thinking and much less of a chance to kink the piping. 

Dennis

Canopy masked.  The two white blobs are white glue over the two small oval windows.  It works just was well as liquid mask.

spacer.png

And canopy on.  Tomorrow I'll re-prime, fill in the gaps.  I will also paint wheels and assemble the landing gear.

spacer.png

--John

• Like 4

Sorry for the delay...I was over in Fokkerland...

Primed.

spacer.png

Having looked at quite a few photos of the real thing and different models I think I have a solution for the lacklustre exhausts:  Drilling.  I will leave them short and stubby (which I have seen on the 87A) and just drill out the insides.  

I also have tires to paint; landing gear to assemble...then into the paint shop!

-John

• Like 6

OK.  Now that I can focus on the Stuka, I will get on with it.  

I have drilled out the exhaust manifolds.  They look much better.

spacer.png

The air brakes are a mix of PE, resin and some Evergreen I have added for a bit more strength.  Note that I have used the PE section as well as the resin.  I will prime them and paint them RLM65.  They will be the last items to be attached to the aircraft.  

spacer.png

And I have given the first round of paint on the underside.  RLM65 although it looks more grey in this picture.  Fluorescent lights...hmmm...

spacer.png

The next round will be the white areas--top of the stabilizers, top half of the rudder and the underside wing tips.  The first two will eventually be tricolour.  This last bit is for the yellow.  I find yellow always needs a base.  

--John

• Like 3

The RLM71 is on and this picture doesn't do it justice.  It really is a much more olive-like, drab green.  The lighting is not the best.  From what I see, the only areas that have the Hungarian tri-colour is the rudder.  The stabilizers seems to be RLM71/RLM70.  In any case, I'll let this all dry tonight and then mask off the splinter tomorrow for the Black Green, RLM70.

spacer.png

Wheel spats the same...

spacer.png

I think this is going to look very cool!  I cannot forget the yellow fuselage band...

-John

• Like 2

I decided to take care of the white areas, both for the tri-colour tail and the bases for the yellow wing-tips and fuselage band. I have not idea how I managed to get so much overspray.  The thing is covered in white specks.  Dammit.  Oh well.  I won't worry about it.  I can always tidy it up and I still have a Back Green to go on.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

Enough for tonight.

--John

• Like 3

A bit of RLM04...Yes...I have seen the occasional small gap in the fuselage seams.  I'll fix that up eventually.  Some soft putty and a hairy brush touch-up will fix it.

spacer.png

So I will move on to the splinter camo masking this evening.  This Stuka is coming along pretty quick now.

--John

• Like 1

8 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I do like the look of the early Anton Stukas and will have to keep an eye out for one of the 1/48 kits.

Thanks MM..Greg Law has another Hungarian Stuka kit in 1/48th scale Special Hobby in this GB.  No...sorry...Spanish Civil War 1/48th.  Nice looking build too!  

From my bench...the masks are on for the splinter camo.  Easier than the Finnish Fokker, for sure.  I'll paint tomorrow.  The weather has turned and we are due for squalls and rain all day tomorrow and tomorrow night.  Fine modelling weather!  

I measured the area for the tri-colour fin and it was exactly 15mm.  Perfect.  5mm bands.  An easy mask and a hairy-brush paint job.  I will mask this, of course, before I add the RLM70.

spacer.png

And the spats get their own masking too.  I'll tighten up those edges beforehand.

spacer.png

--John

• Like 2