A Special Spitfire Mk.Vb

Hi all

I say special, but they are all special.  This a model of BL676, the third Spitfire Mk.Vb to be fitted with an Arrestor Hook gear for deck landing trials on HMS Illustrious.  It was nicknamed Bondowoso which in modern Indonesian translation I believe, means challenge of Gargantuan proportions. This was a Presentaion aircraft purchased by the Dutch East indies Spitfire Fund, before the Dutch Colony fell Victim to the Japanese attack.

The model is the Freightdog boxing purchased last year and uses the new KP model Spitfire VB with some lovely resin additions and Decals to convert into the Hooked Spitfire.  The Model builds very nicely and the resin bits re very easy to use thanks @Colin @ Freightdog Models for producing it.  This was a very enjoyable model.  From photographs the airframe appears to be quite clean so weathering was kept to a minimum with chipping and paint worn away on the port wing route .   

The only other additions are the Sling points, Aerial and IFF wires, Eduard Seat belts an underwing pole aerial, fuselage position light from a never to be built Italeri MkIX along with the cockpit mirror (this was the third one as the carpet monster ate the other two).

The model was brush painted as usual using Humbrol enamel paints. Decals used are the kit supplied ones and went on very nicely indeed using the watered down Klear method.

Hope you enjoy

3400ce46-7217-438c-96bb-75217191d27f.jpg

d0965070-fa51-4829-9b2a-9e86252e21d4.jpg

80b404ca-a8d4-4495-b2de-8bc43fdda70e.jpg

7a4a6e66-e2eb-4b4e-b6da-06280846c530.jpg

fcd8e152-6bb1-4197-8f83-55e828117ff8.jpg

23f6b890-d9dd-4bf4-b38a-980ae79331b7.jpg

d7546437-a60f-4ddc-82af-d3064557e071.jpg

bd472948-e228-4735-89e5-f0b22727c91d.jpg

6ecd9e05-ed0c-4778-b3ff-1cd410011a29.jpg

Sorry about the focus on this one.

c60447a6-e985-45c8-ad7f-2bb2b24fee4e.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

All the best and Happy new Year everyone

Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge
Incorrect Geography
  • Like 49
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Unfinished project said:

Super Spitfire 👏👏

Thanks

5 minutes ago, Beard said:

That's very nice. I've made one and the resin conversion is very easy to use.

Hi Simon I hope you are well. Thank you, yes it is and a nice kit to build.  

All the best

Chris

1 hour ago, keith in the uk said:

Nice job , perhaps if you bent the gear legs a little further forward the sit would be better ( The legs are too straight )

Thanks Keith.  I must admit when I was photographing it this afternoon I thought it looked slightly odd but could not put my finger on it, now it makes perfect sense, although I will leave well alone as there are too many other fragile bits added for  me to start anything else on it.

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Very nice indeed Chris,.......love it. I`m just painting one in the other scheme!

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony, nice kits aren't they.  I did think I would have to buy another, but I need some bits for kits I already have and saving now for a couple of new kits when they come out too, so better not buy another! Good luck with your build fella, I am sure it will be a beauty.  I have just started a 48th  Airfix VB Malta Spit and two 72nd Hurris, an Airfix early two blader and the Arma Hobby Mk1 Royal Navy.  I am trying to increase my build rate to get through a bit more of the stash.

All the best

Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Very nice rendition. 
(Small typo, I think you mean the East Indies, Bondowoso is located on Java.)

Thank you, yes you are correct, I am not sure why I did that. I have corrected the post now. 

21 minutes ago, OutcastJoel said:

That is really lovely, great finish on the paint too, I wish my brush skills were that good!

Thank you for your kind comments. I thin the paint slightly to eliminate brush marks and use as wide a brush as possible. 

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

Interesting subject and a great finish! Difficult to believe it was brush painted…

The model includes a common Vb mistake, though. After the autumn of 1940, all Spitfires dispensed with the visible aerial wire, the reason being that the original HF radio sets were replaced by VHF radios. The much shorter aerial required was integral to the antenna mast. So, no visible wire on a Mk V and later, even though the prong and the rudder attachment point could still be present (but unused).

If you build a Mk I, please note the absence of visible insulators on the aerial wire (except for a very small one very close to the rudder attachment point).

This is a thorny subject, but help is at hand at: http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/spitfire-masts-and-aerials.html/2

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Interesting subject and a great finish! Difficult to believe it was brush painted…

The model includes a common Vb mistake, though. After the autumn of 1940, all Spitfires dispensed with the visible aerial wire, the reason being that the original HF radio sets were replaced by VHF radios. The much shorter aerial required was integral to the antenna mast. So, no visible wire on a Mk V and later, even though the prong and the rudder attachment point could still be present (but unused).

If you build a Mk I, please note the absence of visible insulators on the aerial wire (except for a very small one very close to the rudder attachment point).

This is a thorny subject, but help is at hand at: http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/spitfire-masts-and-aerials.html/2

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim, the aerial wire is present on this machine and is visible in the photos of the aircraft in flight hence it's inclusion here. There are some photos on the Spitfire site and other sites .

All the best

Chris

23 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Joachim, the aerial wire is present on this machine and is visible in the photos of the aircraft in flight hence it's inclusion here. There are some photos on the Spitfire site and other sites .

All the best

Chris

Spitfire-Vb-seafire-1b-bondowoso.jpg

Hm. Where do you see the wire?

Kind regards,

Joachim

Joachim,

The large visible prongs at each end of the wire are the insulators, which would only be there if the wire is, even if one can't see the aerial itself.

The Mark V Manual records that aircraft for some theatres would still have external aerial due to continued use of HF radio there.  Possibly there was no need for the VHF on BL676 as it was a test not combat airframe (at time of photo).

Certainly you are correct about internal aerials for all Fighter Command Spitfires after mid-1940.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Will

PS just found this good quality photo

https://www.baesystems.com/en/heritage/vickers-supermarine-seafire

with wire clearly visible.  Even the IFF if you look very carefully.

Edited by malpaso
Vickers history page added
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2020 at 8:20 AM, Spitfire31 said:

biigbadbadge and malpaso,

You're right! Apparently this machine at one time had a (retrofitted?) HF radio system:

1434591333808.jpg

Just goes to show that one should never be too cocksure… 😉

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim, please let SWMBO know as usually I am wrong !!!

On 1/6/2020 at 8:56 AM, Mark4700 said:

Very nicely done. Good work on the paint and weathering. 

Thanks Mark

All the best

Chris

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

Chris,

That really is an excellent finish, a superb model! I really like the weathering, it is 'just right' and really enhances the overall look.

Mark.

Thanks Mark, very kind of you.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1